Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Mister, do you prefer thin legs or thick legs on a woman?
Thin legs 66 38.15%
Thick legs 92 53.18%
Undecided 15 8.67%
Voters: 173. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2013, 05:08 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,660,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulmabriefs144 View Post
I don't care about leg thickness. I generally hold that healthy women are somewhere between 120-180. I also hold that the weight for men is bogus (women need body fat for breast development and other things related to fertility, men... don't) and men should generally be as slim as women.

None of this hot girl, overmuscled guy deal. (see Vogue's Shape Issue for an example)
Men should be as slim as women? Men and women are built differently.

Do you think everyone should be emaciated?

Old 08-29-2013, 11:03 AM

6,616 posts, read 4,885,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunpaws View Post
Agreed. I prefer women's legs that are shapely without much fat, but I don't like lean, concave inner thighs that result in a large (greater than 1 inch) gap between them. I like the inner thighs to have some curve.

Reason for my preference: shapely but not thin legs suggest to me that the woman is active and fit enough to develop her muscles rather than let them remain girlish or atrophy. I like people who have some strength. I don't like the look of thin or willowy legs that make it appear as if the person couldn't hike for a week carrying her own pack, or as if she were a child.

As for the calf muscles, I prefer women's legs where the calf muscles extend at least halfway down the lower leg toward the ankle. In other words, I don't like it when calf muscles are bunched up high near the back of the knee, leaving a long, thin lower leg that appears stick-like.

My tastes get rather particular!

Picture of a woman's legs that I like:

Using your definition, I'd definitely prefer thick legs.

I think of Jennifer Aniston as having "slender" legs, and I'd prefer them to be more robust and less bird-like.

I think of Charlize Theron as having "thin" legs, without much curve to her thighs or calves, and I prefer curvier legs than hers in this picture:

http://www.justdesktopwallpapers.com..._1280x1024.jpg
I like the beach picture and the thought-provoking analysis. My calves have a ball shape, and I need (for functional reasons) to focus on strengthening the lower part (which should thicken it up). [back to thread relevance] Now I realize my lack of a preference in the poll is because I prefer thick from the side view but dislike thick from the front view. How have other people been visualizing the thickness question? For what it's worth, I consider the side view of the thighs the sexiest view of a woman's legs. To me, other angles are more likely to turn off than turn on.

Is it fair to say that the ideal female thighs are slightly thicker from the sides than from the front and that thighs that are wider from the front view than the side view are inherently flawed?

Old 08-29-2013, 03:00 PM

2,826 posts, read 2,369,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post

I don't. If the average male was about 140-150 lb, and the average female was 140-150 lb, they'd both be in about acceptable range. So long as they weren't starving themselves to do it.

Men and women are not "built differently." It's dietary. Countries with men and women both eating beef tend to have very muscular men and women. Countries (like much of Asia) with heavy female hormones (from veggies and esp soy) in food have both extremely lean.

Our country has a heavily polarized dietary system. Women used to eat mostly salads, men used to eat nothing but meat and potatoes. Then, women "ate normal food", and became a "normal" weight. Actually, both weights were normal, for what they were eating.

I can actually prove this btw. I spent like a month on an organic farm eating 2/3 veggies, few refined breads, and alot less meat and dropped down to a size 28 jean size and lost about 20 lb. I wasn't fasting or anything.

Old 08-29-2013, 08:13 PM

361 posts, read 725,447 times
Judging by the pole, looks like guys also like thicker legs therefore, it can't be true that skinny girls are always the favorite because they don't have thick calves.

Now, some of the ladies here on CD need to stop whining about not being skinny enough or feeling pressured. Obviously all guys don't like the same thing.

Last edited by Flamboyante; 08-29-2013 at 08:47 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 08-29-2013, 08:30 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,660,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulmabriefs144 View Post
I don't. If the average male was about 140-150 lb, and the average female was 140-150 lb, they'd both be in about acceptable range. So long as they weren't starving themselves to do it.
The average male - period, is larger and stronger than the average female, and has denser bones and larger muscles. Simple biology.

Quote:
Men and women are not "built differently."
See above.
Quote:
It's dietary. Countries with men and women both eating beef tend to have very muscular men and women. Countries (like much of Asia) with heavy female hormones (from veggies and esp soy) in food have both extremely lean.
Diet does not change the fact that men are larger than women. The changes begin to occur during puberty, when men's testosterone levels increase and muscle mass and bone density increases relative to women. Diet varies among ethnic and regional groups, but not among women and men.

Quote:
Our country has a heavily polarized dietary system. Women used to eat mostly salads, men used to eat nothing but meat and potatoes. Then, women "ate normal food", and became a "normal" weight. Actually, both weights were normal, for what they were eating.
I have no knowledge of men's diets ever being different than women's.

Quote:
I can actually prove this btw. I spent like a month on an organic farm eating 2/3 veggies, few refined breads, and alot less meat and dropped down to a size 28 jean size and lost about 20 lb. I wasn't fasting or anything.
That's what happened for you, not necessarily anyone else. I know that there is nobody related to me who will ever walk around at 140-150 lbs (male or female). We're too big and tall. You can't use the standards of thin or small people and apply them universally.

"Acceptable" range is a figment of the imagination.

Old 08-29-2013, 09:48 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,885,622 times
Sex-related differences in eating habits probably exist - for example, most vegetarians are female - and it's possible that these days women are eating more like men (or the other way around). However, that interesting subject is unrelated to my thread, which has gone well so far, and might not even belong in this sub-forum. Make a thread about it elsewhere if you want.

Old 08-29-2013, 09:52 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,808,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post

Actually men should be slimmer than women, if we're talking natural body shape. Just look at natives. The men are muscular but lean, the women have a bit of padding.

Old 08-29-2013, 10:00 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,536,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
"Thin" legs - um, I haven't a specific person/look in mind. Maybe Julia Roberts in Pretty Woman.
A body double was used throughout Pretty Woman, you didn't see much of the mega-star's actual legs.

Kind of sad, to think about why they'd do that.

Considered starting the poll: Women: Thick Legs or Thin Legs on Men?
No need, I'm quite sure the definitive results would have been: Either, doesn't matter, it's a man's heart and mind and smile and voice that make him sexy. Legs are too far down the list to matter.

Old 08-29-2013, 10:02 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,536,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Actually men should be slimmer than women, if we're talking natural body shape. Just look at natives. The men are muscular but lean, the women have a bit of padding.
Native to what region? In the native american groups with which I'm most familiar, the men are pudgy - more so than the women.

Old 08-29-2013, 10:05 PM

1,565 posts, read 2,451,676 times
big legs and a fat butt is my thing,,,,,,,,,,,,,to each his own

Last edited by redfish1; 08-29-2013 at 10:13 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty