Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 10:29 AM

3,052 posts, read 4,311,551 times

Advertisements

When I look good I feel good, so no.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2012, 12:01 PM

2,600 posts, read 3,690,040 times
I do when I'm home, mostly because I have seven kids and am always afraid I'll get something on me.

Old 10-30-2012, 12:34 PM

2,294 posts, read 3,436,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
I have house clothes. These are clothes that are stained or damaged, but not so much they are relegated to the rag bag. I wear house clothes around the house. If I go out, I change. I keep it simple -- jeans and a polo. It's not dressing up by any stretch of the imagination When I get home, back into the house clothes.

I'm a bit of a sloppy cook, so the house clothes save my good clothes longer.

And there's one ratty ratty t shirt that is my hair dying shirt. That should be relegated to the rag bag, but I need something awful to wear that I REALLY don't care about when I dye my hair
Ditto. I wouldn't be seen dead wearing my sloppy pants and tee's out of the house not even to Wal mart but if i'm home and its just me and the dogs then why bother putting on good clothes ?

Old 10-30-2012, 12:39 PM

29,764 posts, read 34,480,082 times
People can wear whatever they want, obviously, but I always think of makeover shows like What Not To Wear. They take people who've been wearing oversize, unfashionable clothes and tweak them just a bit, and they end up looking years younger and pounds lighter.

Old 10-30-2012, 06:21 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,295,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
People can wear whatever they want, obviously, but I always think of makeover shows like What Not To Wear. They take people who've been wearing oversize, unfashionable clothes and tweak them just a bit, and they end up looking years younger and pounds lighter.
I wonder though if they really feel like themselves. And why take all their clothes? Are they supposed to wear the fancy stuff cooking dinner? Or just relaxing? It was stupid. I'd have said no and since we never see how many did, I bet a lot did.

Thing is if you feel comfortable in your favorite clothes and you don't have a problem, WHY should someone else think they have the right to submit you to their opinion. Didn't they take film before the 'surprise'? I wonder how many people ended up with hurt feelings and if it was people in a work place, very long and strained days. If it was up to someone to volunteer themselves, then sure, but someone else, naw.

And the thing with high heels. When someone says they don't like them then get a clue.

I think a version of the outtakes when the 'makeover' self destructed would be rather interesting.

Old 10-30-2012, 06:26 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,666,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I think the haircuts on that show are often the thing that makes a big difference in how the person ends up looking. And getting them out of clothes that are not flattering for their weight.

Old 10-30-2012, 07:44 PM

2,600 posts, read 3,690,040 times
When I pick my kids up from school, the majority of moms are dressed like slobs. Maybe to them it's just a quick trip to the school so not worth looking decent for, but it sends the impression that they just don't care. I never want anyone to think that about me.

Old 10-30-2012, 11:55 PM

1,351 posts, read 1,601,247 times
Eh, "Dressing Down" != "Sloppy".

I see plenty of people who dress down (t-shirt, jeans, shorts, etc.) and they don't look sloppy at all...they look fine and comfortable in their own skin. Conversely there are people who dress up and do look sloppy...either they literally have no sense of presentation or fashion, or they do and simply don't care.

Sloppy to me means things such as: clothes that fit poorly, holes in jeans, badly worn and dirty shoes, clothes that repulsively clash with each other and/or your skin tone (example: unflattering color combinations), trashy-looking attire, baggy jeans 2-3 sizes too big that are worn below the butt...exposing your boxers or briefs, wrinkled dress shirt, badly knotted tie, and so on. In certain cases it also means failing to dress up sufficiently enough for the occasion - for example if you and others are having an important business meeting with some clients at an upscale restaurant (think "suit & tie"), then showing up in a Hawaiian shirt, faded jeans and athletic shoes is sloppy...plus disrespectful and potentially embarrassing to the other attendees.

Some people dress for fashion and style. Others dress primarily for practicality or convenience. Still others dress to look presentable while out in public. Some dress to feel good about themselves (you usually feel better when you're happy with how you look). And many are a mixture of some or all of those, depending on the day, their mood, etc.

When I'm at home, I'll throw on whatever makes me feel comfortable. The attire may be sloppy. Who cares. When I'm out, at a minimum I try to look casually presentable....e.g. properly fitting t-shirt, jeans and shoes when going to the grocery store.

I have noticed that others may treat you with a bit more respect if you look decently well put together.

Old 10-31-2012, 12:01 AM

403 posts, read 868,779 times
We, especially me, need to wear nice cloths for work. We are all about comfies when home. We see each other looking nice for work & when out running errands so hone is to be sloppy. We don't care how bad it looks when we are home as long as clothes are clean. Hubby's fave are a stained pair of sweats & ugly frayed blue Tshirt. Me, it's whatever I find warm & comfy & oversized shirt. We have a drawer each just for our comfies.

Old 10-31-2012, 01:18 AM

10,624 posts, read 12,170,122 times
GravityMan, my clothes do fall into some of those categories -- to big, ill-fitting, sometimes wrinkled, or stained. I'm in the grocery store to buy food and the home improvement store to buy buildign materials -- not care what the cashier thinks about how I dress.

I've never been treated badly. And IF I were, I'd walk to customer service, and very quietly and politely speak to a manager.

To the friend who went with me to a furniture store who was concerned about how I'd be treated.....I said "Guess what, fiend if I ever were ignored, I'd quietly go to a manager and point out that I'd come in to buy 6,00 dollars worth of furniture, but apparently no one is interested in making that sale, so your store is about to lose having revenue on your books this month. I bet that manager would wait on me himself and trip over himself to make sure I didn't leave that store -- AND i'd get a discount! I LOVE teaching the lesson of not judging a book by its cover. Again that's never happened to me but if it DID, that's what I'd do.

Partly, in my case, it's the situation of having a friend who is so opposite from me that after almost 20 years she still can't understand that I don't care....just as I still wonder why she can't drop it.

I'm sure many of us may have friends that on one given topic or another -- even after decades -- we still find the other person's POV perplexing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty