Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 09:39 PM

2,632 posts, read 4,053,535 times

Advertisements

Even as a female, when I hear other women say this, I can't help but think they're lying to themselves. I simply can't buy into the ideal that women expect others to believe what they wear has no impact on others, and said women don't expect any attention at all.

No, I don't believe women really dress themselves, unless they're clueless on how to dress, or they're at home by themselves.

Case in point: Women typically say such a thing when they receive unwanted attention. When they receive attention from someone they like or approve of, they're flattered. When they aren't noticed by others they'd like to be noticed by, they will care about that to a certain extent. (It doesn't necessarily mean they get depressed, but they will have expected some sort of a reaction, even a minor one.)

I expect there will be women who will disagree with me, by defending themselves, or others. While they're certainly entitled to disagree, I'll keep shaking my head with every response and think, "Course you do/don't," not believing a word they're writing. Tell me if you're in a relationship that you don't consider what your significant other likes, or that you really wouldn't care one iota if you looked your best, one day, and absolutely no one turns their head, says anything, or acknowledges you to any extent at all, etc. during any part of the day or night.

We're women: we like approval, to be noticed, to be complimented and reassured by others (men, other women, friends, etc.): It's natural. Instead of pretending otherwise, my overall point is rather than conceal this, admit it--there's certainly nothing wrong with it. No one expects us to be perfectly satisfied with every aspect of our bodies--why expect them to believe we really dress only for ourselves?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2012, 10:20 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,897,546 times
Sorry. Not buying this. Why is it impossible to believe that some of us are not looking for validation from others for our appearance?

I am not wearing a cute outfit because I am hoping "Mr. Right" or "Right Now" is strolling by and will notice my well coordinated outfit. I am not walking out to fish for compliments from randos on the street, or even my friends.

I am look for approval from one special person. Me. And as long as I approve, then I can put my best face forward to take on the day, and that's the goal of dressing for yourself.

I wasted way too much time caring about what everyone else thinks.

Old 10-15-2012, 10:53 PM

331 posts, read 1,052,870 times
So because I don't want to dress like a slob all the time and like to dress nice means that I am seeking others people approval and want attention. Whatever.

Old 10-15-2012, 10:59 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,273,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexWest View Post
Even as a female, when I hear other women say this, I can't help but think they're lying to themselves. I simply can't buy into the ideal that women expect others to believe what they wear has no impact on others, and said women don't expect any attention at all.

No, I don't believe women really dress themselves, unless they're clueless on how to dress, or they're at home by themselves.

Case in point: Women typically say such a thing when they receive unwanted attention. When they receive attention from someone they like or approve of, they're flattered. When they aren't noticed by others they'd like to be noticed by, they will care about that to a certain extent. (It doesn't necessarily mean they get depressed, but they will have expected some sort of a reaction, even a minor one.)

I expect there will be women who will disagree with me, by defending themselves, or others. While they're certainly entitled to disagree, I'll keep shaking my head with every response and think, "Course you do/don't," not believing a word they're writing. Tell me if you're in a relationship that you don't consider what your significant other likes, or that you really wouldn't care one iota if you looked your best, one day, and absolutely no one turns their head, says anything, or acknowledges you to any extent at all, etc. during any part of the day or night.

We're women: we like approval, to be noticed, to be complimented and reassured by others (men, other women, friends, etc.): It's natural. Instead of pretending otherwise, my overall point is rather than conceal this, admit it--there's certainly nothing wrong with it. No one expects us to be perfectly satisfied with every aspect of our bodies--why expect them to believe we really dress only for ourselves?

You can shake your head all you want but I do NOT care what anyone including my husband thinks of what I have on that particular day and I haven't in years. I dress to be comfortable and appropriate for the setting, nothing more, end of conversation. I don't have the NEED to be approved by anyone and any REAL WOMAN who is really a woman doesn't need anyone else's approval either.

Old 10-15-2012, 10:59 PM

472 posts, read 1,098,485 times
So your point is to make a blanket statement and categorize all women as the stereotypical attention *****? no thanks. I dress for myself. Always have and always will. That's how I got my mr right. Sure I wear clothes he likes but they are clothes that are me, not me trying to be someone else to get his attention. No, it's not natural.

I don't like attention. I don't dress to get attention. I don't need approval from anyone but myself. I'd be lying if I said otherwise. women who dress to get attention have some insecurities about themselves.sure, it's nice to get compliments but my self esteem doesn't need it and I surely don't Have to dress to get compliments. So like you said, you can think im lying to myself but I'm not.

I just can't help but feel sorry for these types of women who constantly need validation.

Old 10-15-2012, 11:34 PM

3,052 posts, read 4,307,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TehB33nz View Post
So because I don't want to dress like a slob all the time and like to dress nice means that I am seeking others people approval and want attention. Whatever.
Clearly.

It's not like what the OP is saying has no merit, we obviously do not live in a vacuum and most people care to an extent about other people's thoughts and opinions. But acknowledging we do not live in a vacuum and saying that a good number of women like to look good for themselves isn't bizarre or crazy.

Old 10-16-2012, 07:01 AM

2,632 posts, read 4,053,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxbabeechick View Post
Clearly.

It's not like what the OP is saying has no merit, we obviously do not live in a vacuum and most people care to an extent about other people's thoughts and opinions. But acknowledging we do not live in a vacuum and saying that a good number of women like to look good for themselves isn't bizarre or crazy.
I'm glad you see my point.

I'm not suggesting people don't want to look good: they do. But as long as we live in a society with others we can't really dress only for ourselves. We dress to be presentable, which includes those around us.

Old 10-16-2012, 07:29 AM

7,796 posts, read 16,405,624 times
Too much marketing in my blood. I'm well aware of my audience and package myself accordingly.

Old 10-16-2012, 09:21 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,804,194 times
I think younger women have the dress for success mentality when it comes to finding a mate. I know I did and I was always dressed nice. Now that I'm older I prefer to be comfortable. I wear scrubs to work and it's like wearing pajamas. So comfortable. I guess that just carries over into my personal life. I really hate getting dressed up now.

Old 10-16-2012, 09:26 AM

2,888 posts, read 6,542,179 times
Sadly, most women tend to dress to pass the critique from other women. Most men don't give a flip about fashion, and just want to see woman in clothes that flatter the body. . . period.

Women focus on artificial style and fashion, and not their own sense of style and fashion.

75% of the time I dress for myself. I am a confident woman, but I have to admit that the other 25% of the time - I find that insecurity creeping in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty