Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2021, 07:40 PM

12,382 posts, read 8,136,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtterTrees View Post
It is such a dated style. I don't see it much anymore and epople dragged it on much longer that necessary.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I don't think I've seen that look for a decade.
To be fair the thread was bumped up after almost a decade. But then again I do see some men holding on to that 90s look..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2021, 02:18 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
I live in a backwater. I still see it fairly often, mostly because I think the guys (and some gals) have spent so much time in jail they don't realize how dated the look is. It cracks me up that they think they look so badazz when they just look dated and stupid.
Ah, maybe we now know why the expression "badazz" came to be. Because we actually got (or were forced) to see the one that belonged to those folks.

Old 10-12-2021, 06:24 AM

9,432 posts, read 5,197,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
It's kind of embarrassing to view, that saggy pants look....
What's equally embarassing, IMO, is older men wearing the baseball cap backwards on their noodles......or worse, sideways!!! I mean, do women find that attractive? ugh!!

Old 10-12-2021, 10:30 PM

8,166 posts, read 6,917,406 times
It's the only time I would laugh at someone falling down. When they can't walk properly in their stupid sagging pants and they take a little tumble. I laugh and I laugh.

Mod cut.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 10-24-2021 at 04:00 PM.. Reason: Off-topic video.

Old 10-13-2021, 05:38 AM

12,382 posts, read 8,136,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
What's equally embarassing, IMO, is older men wearing the baseball cap backwards on their noodles......or worse, sideways!!! I mean, do women find that attractive? ugh!!

Enough do that just like when you still see men wearing their pants as if the deputy took their belt away when he went to jail.

Old 10-14-2021, 01:05 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,456,642 times
I was standing in line at a buffet behind a group of folks and one guy was saggin. I just looked at him. From the back. He looked like a cartoon character of a human sliced in 2 pieces. An adult full sized upper body (white long t shirt, backwards hat) mixed with some sort of toddler lower body. These tiny shorts inches above the ground with some calves and basketball sneakers.

The oddest look if you just analyzed what you were seeing. It wasn't attractive. Just very strange. This was an extreme sagger I think. It just made you feel like you were in some portion of a fun house mirror.

Old 10-18-2021, 05:50 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
I don’t see so many sagging pants these days. Nor do I see the backwards baseball caps as much. Both “styles” are out of date, and stupid, to boot. Yeah, I’ve seen guys yanking up their pants as they walk around, with their underwear showing. Stupid. And ball caps have brims for a reason. The only guy who should be wearing his ball cap backwards is a baseball catcher.

But I am not the style empress of the world. I really don’t have to worry about stuff like that. I just make sure I am reasonably presentable.

Old 10-20-2021, 01:16 PM

29,442 posts, read 14,623,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
Sagging pants pulled down to show underpants. Seriously - when is this fashion going to die?

A couple of weeks ago I was sitting on a tram when this guy gets on and sits opposite me. His pants were so low he was literally sitting just on his underpants with his jeans round his thighs. All I could think was he looked like he was sitting on a toilet.

Yesterday I was with my kids at the park. There was this guy with sagging pants pushing his daughter on the swing. Except that he had to push his daughter with one hand and hold his pants to stop them falling down with the other (very loose pants). Then as he walked away, his pants did fall down. Hilarious.

In the summer I went to the beach. There was a group of teenagers nearby with the boys trying to impress a group of girls. All the boys had underpants on underneath their saggy swimming gear. One guy was constantly adjusting his pants up and down so he had just the right amount of underwear showing. The girls unimpressed went swimming with the boys following on in tow like sheep. Who goes swimming in two pairs of pants??

There is always a ton of stuff floating about on the internet / facebook ridiculing this fashion.
Here's a blog with some examples. I love the guy in the supermarket with the trousers round his ankles and the story about the burglar who was caught because of his pants.
Burglar Tripped Up By Sagging Pants | e-Forwards.com - Funny Emails

There have been stupid fashions in the past but to me this one is by far the stupidest.

Anyone else agree?
Agreed. Didn't it come from prison etiquette...when one does that, they are open to ...relations ?

Old 10-20-2021, 01:56 PM

13,705 posts, read 12,413,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Agreed. Didn't it come from prison etiquette...when one does that, they are open to ...relations ?
Sort of, but not to telegraph anything. It's from guys getting locked up and having their belts taken from them.

Old 10-22-2021, 11:49 AM

29,442 posts, read 14,623,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Sort of, but not to telegraph anything. It's from guys getting locked up and having their belts taken from them.
Thanks, just found an article on it.

The real origins of the sagging fad did come from the American prison system, but not as a signal that the wearer was up for a bit of action. In actual fact, prisoners were often given uniforms that were several sizes too big for them and due to suicide prevention efforts behind bars, were not allowed belts. This combination of factors led to inmates’ trousers riding at half-mast much of the time. As prisoners were released they continued to wear their trousers sagged and it wasn’t long before it creeped into the Hip-Hop dress code

https://www.menswearstyle.co.uk/2017...ing-pants/7788
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty