Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 09:32 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,402,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHoVe View Post
I will say I think wh.oever said "shows lack of impulse control" was jumping a bit far...many people collect SOMETHING, I am unsure how realistically this is any different in regards to impluse control.
I wasn't much on that comment either. If I had a problem with impulse control, I would have 50 cats, but I only have one.

As far as impulse, you would NEVER see me get a tattoo on an impulse. That WOULD be ridiculous. I do not spend $1,000. on an impulse. I do not mark my body on an impulse.

If I did that, I swear I may have a Hello Kitty tattoo and really, that is not feasible at all.

I actually don't do anything on impulse. I actually think TOO much on things. I think the most said phrase around here at my house is, "Make a decision!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2012, 09:40 AM

Wait. I had breakfast at Bob Evans this morning and I ordered on impulse. We go every weekend and I order my breakfast the same way. I walk in with my Starbucks coffee and we ask for Deb.

Today Deb was off, so that threw me off.

I always order the Farmers Choice with scrambled eggs cooked medium, bacon, hashbrowns, extra crispy, and a crepe.

Today I thought I would change it up and I ordered an omelet and both sides were cooked very crispy and were inedible. I ate a couple of bites of the hashbrowns and the biscuits never came, but that is ok, I don't like biscuits. Edgar, our waiter asked if I wanted banana bread or pumpkin bread but I opted for sour dough toast.

I suppose it was a good thing for the toast because I didn't like much else. I never complain and I never send food back.

I told my SO that if Faye, the checkout lady asked how the food was, I was going to tell her.

She asked how the food and service was and I said that Edgar was very friendly but I couldn't eat my food.

This is what happens when I don't follow a plan. This is what happens on impulse. I don't like it.

Gawd. What if I got a trainwreck of a tattoo like this mornings breakfast? I would be pissed.

Old 09-23-2012, 10:11 AM

15,642 posts, read 26,301,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thethreefoldme View Post
People who assume we will all regret body modification someday are projecting.
That's true -- I know I'd regret doing that. I used to wear large loud earrings and have really short hair. My hair is longer, and my earrings are smaller. I gave the large loud earrings to my neice to take apart for her jewelry creations.

Tastes change. And if I did something like that to my body I would regret it.

And I still see people stuck in the 80's with those huge earrings...

Old 09-23-2012, 10:27 AM

472 posts, read 1,099,854 times
Sounds like some on here need to get in the 21st century. What screams drug addict to me is not a tattoo. What screams promiscuity to me is a revealing, skimpy outfit, not a tattoo. And tattoos aren't permanent these days. I had one lasered off and no because I regretted it but because the artist did a terrible job. It was small thankfully

Again mine are covered by clothing and I don't have to make a full attempt to cover them. A tank top covers it all.

Old 09-23-2012, 10:36 AM

The things I have tattooed on my body aren't fad-type things. Not something from the 80's or 90's, etc. They are something I have always found beautiful.

I would not have gotten them permanently marked on my body, because they aren't so easy to change as a hairstyle or earrings, if I thought they were just a fad.

I have seen tattoos on people, that I thought they may regret in time, however, so I do know where you are coming from.

I am not into anythings that are really fads so I cant go into an example of my own but I would say, for instance....a zombie. I guess Zombies are kind of in right now, I don't know. But lets say I am into zombies right now. I would imagine that in a year or two I wouldn't be. A zombi would be a bad choice for a tattoo for me.

A flower. Well, I think flowers will always be pretty. I do have a lotus on my back. It isn't your typical trendy flower with a butterfly blah blah.

It was drawn with me in mind. Peacock. I have loved them since I was a little girl. That's a pretty long time. I don't think I will change my mind on it....

If I do, I know someone who would love to get their hands on it. I have to laugh, because my internist specializes in skin treatments, with tattoo removal as one of them. Whenever I see her, she can't keep her eyes off it. I always want to ask her if she is thinking of trying to remove it, but alas, I do not.

Old 09-23-2012, 10:45 AM

13,285 posts, read 15,333,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyegirl View Post
I do not have any, because who I am today is not who I will be in 3 years, let alone 40.
Funny, this is WHY I get tattoos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchman01 View Post
To me they say; I do drugs, I'm promiscuous, I have ambivalant feelings about being gainfully employed, ect.
Interesting,
Doing drugs says to me that a person does drugs
Being promiscuous says to me that a person is promiscuous
Having ambivalent feelings about being gainfully employed tells me that someone has ambivalent feelings about being gainfully employed.

Some people might think that misspelling the world 'ambivalent' might say that the speller was any manner of idiot. I think it just says that person probably doesn't have spell check on the device they are using to access the forum. What does it say to you?

Last edited by filihok; 09-23-2012 at 10:55 AM..

Old 09-23-2012, 11:09 AM

I've never quite understood why people say that tattoos make them think people are that way or doing those things.....unless they ARE that way or ARE doing those things....

Old 09-23-2012, 11:19 AM

13,285 posts, read 15,333,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
I've never quite understood why people say that tattoos make them think people are that way or doing those things.....unless they ARE that way or ARE doing those things....
It's easy. Much easier than getting to know someone and understanding their complexities.

It's why bad guys used to wear black hats in movies.

Old 09-23-2012, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
It's easy. Much easier than getting to know someone and understanding their complexities.

It's why bad guys used to wear black hats in movies.
I suppose you're right. Well, I am glad I am the type of person who actually does take the time to learn about the person.

I have actually met some nice people that I have seen other people just discard. I made a friend in Starbucks, I used to see him there just about every day sitting in the corner. Always alone, always reading a book or doing a crossword puzzle, in his 60's.

Did no one approach him because he was always alone? Because he was old? I have no idea, but I approached him. I moved away since then, but I had many cups of coffee with Gary. He was always coming up with a conspiracy theory about something, and he was always just cracking me up about something.

In the more than a year I have known Gary, I have learned a lot about him, a lot about his family, a lot about his life. I learned he had cancer. I saw he needed a friend but didn't know how to reach out. I moved away from there in January but I still travel back to see him and sit for about three hours drinking coffee and talking.

He called me one day and told me he had a heart attack a week prior and my own heart sank. He lives very far from his children, who have nothing to do with him.

I saw him a couple of weeks ago or so, and he doesn't look good. He has lost his job and is quite depressed in life.

He doesn't want to move 'home' to Kentucky as his family could really care less. I asked him what he planned on doing, if he has anyone here. No one here, no family, just you.

Just you. He was talking about me. Had I made such an impact on him? I had. Now, Gary doesn't like my tattoos, and he told me. Thats fine. It is his opinion, and I respect his opinion. I respect him. He respects me.

I have seen many people like Gary, and I have approached them. I become a friendly face to them and someone who cares.

Many of these people are not attractive to look at and many look like they just need a friend. It has always been my duty in life to be a friend to people like this.

Maybe it's cheesy, I don't know. I don't think any of them really cared one way or the other about my tattoos. I did things like this before my first ever tattoo when I was 33 and I will continue to do it as long as I am able to get out and go places.

I am not likely to approach someone that looks kind of mean and hateful. I should probably change that about myself, I guess.

Old 09-23-2012, 12:28 PM

15,642 posts, read 26,301,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
As a woman who has a little age on her (I'm 53) I can tell you it wasn't long ago that having a tattoo back in the day meant you were very probably intoxicated when you got it. Back in the day, tattoos signalled that this person was ...dangerous -- drug addicted, alcoholic, ganged up. Negative stereotype-apalooza.

But stereotypes become stereotypes out of some truth taken to extreme.

My sisters are 7 and 8 years older than me. They begged and begged to get their ears pierced. My parents laid down the law and said at 16. When they didn't turn into gun molls and harlots, I was allowed to get mine done at 14.

But think about it -- when my parents were young, only the "fast" girls (the kind you don't take home to mother) had their ears pierced. And my parents had to get over it.

And when I had my ears pierced at 14, my mother had hers done, too. I'll never forget it -- my dear father walked over to the nurse at the jewelry counter (yes -- REAL NURSES pierced your ears at the fine jewelry counters in department stores) and said I'd like to get my ears pierced. I'll never forget the look on her face -- sheer horror at piercing a MAN'S ears.....

He then grabbed me and said -- these are the ears.... I own them till she turns 21.

We all laughed.

BUT -- now -- no one thinks it's odd a guys gets his ear pierced.

It's the same thing for tattoos. They are mainstreaming.... but they aren't there yet. And yes -- you'll have to face some intolerance for your choices. And yes -- those people might be ignorant, and they might be business owners who feel they have to walk the straight and narrow, and who are afraid to take the chance.

It will all work out in the end. I firmly believe we all walk the pathway to make it smoother for those who follow in our footsteps..... and those that went before us did the same for us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty