Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 07:28 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,405,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
My dermatologist loves my back piece. He also has no posters or brochures lying around that offer tattoo removal. I assume he probably removes tattoos, but he's never mentioned it to me.

I think it's funny how everyone thinks only scummy people like or would have tattoos. All of my drs just love my tattoos. My internist can't keep her eyes off it, but she also does laser removal. I always wonder if she is trying to think of how to remove it or if she likes it, lol.

It actually surprised me the first time one of my drs complimented me on it and just had to see the whole thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2012, 10:00 AM

34,941 posts, read 36,318,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Choras View Post
I think all depends on a persons liking or dislikings about tattoos. As some raelly do like these and some really don't. But in generall i don't think it's a right habit to adopt, as it could lead to a lot od infections and other diseases. And more than any thing else natural beauty is always the best.
So, no pierced ears. No hair color. No false nails. Check.

Old 12-13-2012, 10:35 AM

13,285 posts, read 15,333,258 times
Quote:
I think all depends on a persons liking or dislikings about tattoos. As some raelly do like these and some really don't. But in generall i don't think it's a right habit to adopt, as it could lead to a lot od infections and other diseases. And more than any thing else natural beauty is always the best.
No hair cuts, no cutting your nails, no makeup...

Old 12-13-2012, 12:01 PM

9,542 posts, read 16,557,558 times
I don't care what people do, its thier business. I do think there are people though that follow the crowd and fads. The growing number of people with tatoos speaks volumes about a fad. Otherwise there would not be all these people with tatoos. So if they want to do it that fine with me. But yes people are going to notice. I don't know if that is what they want, since they can't see thier back and we can. I will say the large crowd of them I see at the gym looks pretty bad. They have literally covered there whole body with designs and paragraphs. If I were to say tatoos looked good or bad on these gym goers. Then I would definitely say they look terrible. I do feel a certain personality type goes after all these tatoos. So I think people are going to notice other things besides the tatoos. If they got to know these people. I'm sorry thats how I feel. Why should I not. I mean I have to wonder about people that go beyond a simple tatoo, and end up like I just mentioned. But hey it is their business. If they can make a living looking like that. Then more power to them.

Old 12-13-2012, 12:02 PM

2,366 posts, read 2,644,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
People should do what they want to their own bodies, but I don't think I'll ever "get" tattoos. I simply don't understand the desire to have them. But then again, I don't understand half the things most people do, so that's not saying much.
I agree. I do not see the appeal for tattoos and I think they are a waste of money.

Old 12-13-2012, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Oh thank goodness I have never gotten any diseases from my tattoo habit, but darn it I have also come across the habit of pedicures and I'll be darned!

I think after the last time I went to have a pedicure done I got a fungus or something. Now I am not sure I want to go back.

Old 12-13-2012, 01:38 PM

5,419 posts, read 9,208,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
Historically tattoos were a sort of skanky thing to do. Generally the poor, or otherwise those in need of 'recognition' (the proverbial cry for help/attention) sported them.

Now, they seem to be as hot as lava rocks.The fad has lasted for twenty years or so, but lately seems to be more akin to the cigar bar fad of the 90's.

I have to say that some of the art which i see is attractive. Tasteful.

But i wonder why tattoo parlors are generally in the worst parts of town; staffed by generally funky people, and overall seem to exude a feeling of 'dump'.

I just can't seem to rationalize those two things: better art; more mainstream folks sporting stamps; and the places that provide them are really skeevy.

Why don't you go to the 14th floor, suite 5C, next to the orthopedic doctor, to get such a procedure done to your body?

That's the part that still leaves me questioning whether the whole tattoo thing is as main stream as many suggest.
You need to read further into the history of tattoos. When the first tattooed islanders were brought back by English sailors to the English court and presented before royalty and other notables, tattoos became something that society at the time thought was pretty neat. Royals and other aristocrats, as well as those with money, were pretty enamored with tattoos. The only became "skanky" (your words, not mine) when it was discovered that "common" people were getting them as well. It was no longer an exclusive thing to do and was only then related in a negative manner to lower class people3.

People *do* get mainstream body art and modification. What do you think a boob job is?

Old 12-13-2012, 01:45 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,662,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
Oh thank goodness I have never gotten any diseases from my tattoo habit, but darn it I have also come across the habit of pedicures and I'll be darned!

I think after the last time I went to have a pedicure done I got a fungus or something. Now I am not sure I want to go back.
I had some outpatient surgery done and it ended up getting infected, likely due to improperly sanitized instruments.

I've never developed any sort of infection from my tattoos.

Old 12-13-2012, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I had some outpatient surgery done and it ended up getting infected, likely due to improperly sanitized instruments.

I've never developed any sort of infection from my tattoos.
My son ended up with MRSA after having some foot surgery. That is very upsetting....

To think that drs offices are not sterile enough that a person can get an infection is just not right.

I think most tattoo parlors are very careful to be sure that everything is sterilized properly. I can't say it for all, but I can say it for the ones I have been too.

They have regulations as well.. I think people just assume they are a hole in the wall with dirty needles, etc.

Old 12-13-2012, 05:08 PM

34,941 posts, read 36,318,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
My son ended up with MRSA after having some foot surgery. That is very upsetting....

To think that drs offices are not sterile enough that a person can get an infection is just not right.

I think most tattoo parlors are very careful to be sure that everything is sterilized properly. I can't say it for all, but I can say it for the ones I have been too.

They have regulations as well.. I think people just assume they are a hole in the wall with dirty needles, etc.
I don't think all people have easy access to reputable tattoo parlors.

I think plenty get them on a dare, on some crazy vacation, no forethought, etc.

This could explain the wealth of crapoy tattoos and people who assume all body work is shoddy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty