Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 12:26 AM

3,052 posts, read 4,308,639 times

Advertisements

I have one tattoo, I posted about getting it last week. I'm not planning to get any others. My tattoo is script that's important to me, I would never get color or images tattooed on me that just doesn't fit my personal aesthetic.

I like Pikantari's posts on this thread they were very thoughtful.

I do notice a few other posters on this thread who went on and on about the random silly judgments they get on their tattoos/body modifications are the same people who have been quick in the past to toss judgment about what other people's life decisions/body modifications.

I guess it's a case of "I don't want it done to me, but I like to judge other people..." (based on personal decisions that tell you nothing about a persons character)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2012, 10:11 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,090,876 times
Historically tattoos were a sort of skanky thing to do. Generally the poor, or otherwise those in need of 'recognition' (the proverbial cry for help/attention) sported them.

Now, they seem to be as hot as lava rocks.The fad has lasted for twenty years or so, but lately seems to be more akin to the cigar bar fad of the 90's.

I have to say that some of the art which i see is attractive. Tasteful.

But i wonder why tattoo parlors are generally in the worst parts of town; staffed by generally funky people, and overall seem to exude a feeling of 'dump'.

I just can't seem to rationalize those two things: better art; more mainstream folks sporting stamps; and the places that provide them are really skeevy.

Why don't you go to the 14th floor, suite 5C, next to the orthopedic doctor, to get such a procedure done to your body?

That's the part that still leaves me questioning whether the whole tattoo thing is as main stream as many suggest.

Old 12-11-2012, 10:20 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,381,379 times
Wow. The place I go to is really classy looking. It is also in a nice area...

Old 12-12-2012, 09:03 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,645,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
Wow. The place I go to is really classy looking. It is also in a nice area...
Same here... my parlor was in a nice part of town, was very sanitary and my artist swapped gloves more times than I've ever seen a Doctor or Dentist do it. In fact, my tattoo parlor looked more sanitary than nearly any Doctors office I've ever been to, including the one where I had outpatient surgery on my shoulder.

Old 12-12-2012, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
Historically tattoos were a sort of skanky thing to do. Generally the poor, or otherwise those in need of 'recognition' (the proverbial cry for help/attention) sported them.

Now, they seem to be as hot as lava rocks.The fad has lasted for twenty years or so, but lately seems to be more akin to the cigar bar fad of the 90's.

I have to say that some of the art which i see is attractive. Tasteful.

But i wonder why tattoo parlors are generally in the worst parts of town; staffed by generally funky people, and overall seem to exude a feeling of 'dump'.

I just can't seem to rationalize those two things: better art; more mainstream folks sporting stamps; and the places that provide them are really skeevy.

Why don't you go to the 14th floor, suite 5C, next to the orthopedic doctor, to get such a procedure done to your body?

That's the part that still leaves me questioning whether the whole tattoo thing is as main stream as many suggest.
Again, it's not a fad. It's been around for thousands of years and it's not likely to go away anytime soon. Plus, I don't care if it's popular or not...I still love my tattoos and plan on continuing the work regardless of whether random people think it's 'cool' or not.

Oh, and funky people are the best kind of people

Old 12-12-2012, 09:14 AM

34,941 posts, read 36,288,569 times
Ditto what Pinkatari and Jet Jockey said above. My tattoo place is very clean. Scrupulously so. And it's practically next door to the wealthiest area of town. It's two doors over from a prominent high school.

Just like any other business, tattoo parlors can be very nice or they can be a bit sketchy.

Kinda like how many tattoos can be real works of art and many can look like they were carved out in cell block B with a rusty shiv.

I will say that there is more generalizing going on about tattoos around here than I've ever seen. I have to conclude that in some parts of the country (and the world, I guess) there really must be some lousy tattoos.

I see all kinds around here. There are plenty that may not be to one person's taste, but even if you didn't like tattoos, you'd have to appreciate the art itself minus the medium.

Unless you're just a close-minded, stubborn mule. And, none of you are that, right?

Old 12-12-2012, 10:01 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,400,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I just have a few questions about tatoos or body art, because I'm more curious about some things I have seen lately. One is I saw an employer at a part time job specify no visible tatoos. So all these younger men came in with bandages on thier necks. I honestly thought they all cut themself shaving. I thought how strange so many of them with cut necks. When they all started sharing tatoo stories. Then the explanation was given for the bandages.

So my question is this. This was just a mediocre part time job. So I'm assuming a much more technical high paying career job, could be off limits for many people with numerous tatoos. So is employment limited for people covered with tatoos or is it opening up more now?

My 2nd question is in regards to seeing many people with full body art on them, not just a few tatoos. The gym I go to seems to have a high percentage of its clientelle that fit that description. More and more every week. Its a neighborhood gym and not crowded, so you see the same people all the time. My instinct is to say hi or nod a hello but the vibe is cold. I notice its colder than any gym I have ever worked out in. I don't want to be judgemental or rude about it, but I feel the people with all the tatoos/body art seem rather cold and unfriendly, to most any person that is not like them. Maybe I'm wrong but it looks that way. Places have a vibe and people have instincts. Gyms are where you go to workout at and not socialize for many of us, but this is something else. There is like this superiority that comes off with them.

So my question is do people with full body art, men, woman both. Are they more prone to give off that type of vibe, and basically only acknowledge people like them. Even if its just the ususal hello, that humans say when they see the same people over and over in uncrowded places.

I don't want to form an impression but I'm wondering. Are many of these people sort of living outside of society when they cover their entire body in tatoos. If employment is difficult to find. If people sense a lack of friendliness. I was reading a story where an apt would not rent to a man, that even tatooed his entire face. Then what is real reason for all the body art. I don't understand and you can't blame people for being curious. Where we see it so much now in every day life.
I work as a computer consultant for Dell Computers. It has not been a problem for me with any past employers.

I'm friendly with people whether they are tattooed or not. Makes no difference to me.

Old 12-12-2012, 11:51 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,533,174 times
Not a fan here but couldn't care less if other people have them. I have always been curious though, do folks who like ink concern themselves with what it will look like when they are older or, is that not a consideration? I was in South Florida over Thanksgiving and a lot of older folks ( 70's and up) had large tatoos, most of which appeared old and faded but some were more recent. To me, most ink on older folks is just not at all flattering but then, as I said, I don't find the look particularly good on anybody. But I used to go to a dermatologist who said he makes all of his money removing tatoo, but pointed out that even with the best lasers, there is sometimes discoloration remaining. So, I guess I just wonder if folks don't care what ink looks like 30 years later or, think it still looks good, or, just don't think about it at all?

Old 12-12-2012, 12:26 PM

11,761 posts, read 14,667,164 times
I read this line in a tattoo magazine one time: The only difference between tattooed people and people without tattoos is that people with tattoos don't care if you have one.

Old 12-12-2012, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
Not a fan here but couldn't care less if other people have them. I have always been curious though, do folks who like ink concern themselves with what it will look like when they are older or, is that not a consideration? I was in South Florida over Thanksgiving and a lot of older folks ( 70's and up) had large tatoos, most of which appeared old and faded but some were more recent. To me, most ink on older folks is just not at all flattering but then, as I said, I don't find the look particularly good on anybody. But I used to go to a dermatologist who said he makes all of his money removing tatoo, but pointed out that even with the best lasers, there is sometimes discoloration remaining. So, I guess I just wonder if folks don't care what ink looks like 30 years later or, think it still looks good, or, just don't think about it at all?
Yeah, and without those tattoos all those older folks would have looked like supermodels, right? In addition, the quality of ink has improved substantially over the past 30 or 40+ years and the techniques and machinery used have also improved which means tattoos are brighter and last longer than they used to. I know people with 15 year old tattoos that look nearly brand new. I get asked all the time if the one on my forearm is new and it's nearly 8 years old at this point.

I also find it interesting that all the people who dislike tattoos all seem to know dermatologists that make all their money off of lasering off tattoos... that couldn't just be coincidence, could it?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty