Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 02:12 PM

1,448 posts, read 3,051,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I totally forgot about my teeth and they really can add years.
If teeth add years, hands truly show years. I use deep wrinkle cream in addition to normal hand cream on my hands at every chance (morning and night ablutions, after washing dishes, after shower, while knitting, etc.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2012, 02:43 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,352,236 times
You have gotten excellent advice here. I would get a massage the day/evening before your friend visits, make sure that you are well rested, have your hair colored and styled (don't forget to color your eyebrows--takes a few years off), subtle makeup, and just a whitened smile. Your friend just wants a nice visit, so relax and enjoy.

Old 04-01-2012, 03:11 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,901,228 times
I agree with those who've suggested getting lots of r and r prior to your friend's arrival. Always good advice!

You've received many suggestions about improving/updating/restyling your external appearance, most of which include some cost, even if small. So, at the risk of sounding a little reproving, let me add a few things which won't cost you a cent.

Watch your posture. Straight shoulders, stomach in. Make and keep eye contact with your friend (and other important people in your life, along with those you hope will become important). Smile. Say, "I'm so glad to see you!" when your friend arrives, and look and sound like you mean it. Watch out for unconsciously frowning while listening to others, or while discussing your own misfortunes (and you've endured a lot, which is enough to diminish anyone's energy and joie de vivre). Don't allow your voice to drone along on one note or your speech to become rushed - I find myself having this problem when discussing personal issues with others and find that it makes them want to tune out and drop out, the exact opposite of what I want to happen!

Focus on thinking warmly of others and on making them comfortable, not on your own insecurities about your looks. What does your friend like best? Can you provide it? Is she really going to feel differently about you if you look your age, show physical evidence of all the stresses you've survived, etc.? Or is she going to be happy to be with an old friend and to have an opportunity to renew old ties?

It's likely that your friend will have also had some major changes and issues in her own life, if she is around your age. She will not look as dewy and youthful as was once the case, more than likely. And she won't expect you to be an ingenue still, either.

So - go for what makes you happy, and relaxed, and comfortable, and have a wonderful time reminiscing with your old friend. Friendship is golden...

Old 04-01-2012, 03:29 PM

8,411 posts, read 7,424,439 times
Smile more! The simplest things can make the biggest differences.

Old 04-01-2012, 06:08 PM

24,122 posts, read 32,484,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SXMGirl View Post
You have gotten excellent advice here. I would get a massage the day/evening before your friend visits, make sure that you are well rested, have your hair colored and styled (don't forget to color your eyebrows--takes a few years off), subtle makeup, and just a whitened smile. Your friend just wants a nice visit, so relax and enjoy.
I really have gotten some excellent advice here! And, I really appreciate all of it. Ive been a City Data member for a while now (can't think of the exact amount of time) and I have always obtained good information about a variety of topics. I enjoy sharing my advice and information, and perspective with others.

Last night I was stressing about what to do and I thought "why not post on City Data? Someone is sure to be sympathetic and have some good advice."

And they did!

So far, I wewnt out today and bought the following:

Crest White Strips (I hadn't even thought of teeth)
turbo booster vitaman C powder - Thanks
Mario Badescu Kiwi facial scrub (I could not find the St Yves product at ulta, and the sales person recomended this as a substitute.
Yes age refresh smoothing daily cleanse with coconut and blueberries (sounds tasty) believe it or not, I was just using soap - I know that's bad

I am going to begin my regimen tonight. Actually, I'm very excised now, not nervous, thals to all of you!

I see the next week as an interesting challenge. I am even thinking of taking a "before" and "after" picture.

The impending visit is a good thing and instead of avoiding or postponing it, I am jumping in with enthusiasm, and excited about continuing the beauty regimen that I have implemented will all of your help.

Rep all around, and I'll keep ypu all posted about my progress!

This Spring will be a time for rejuvenation and renewal, on the outside amd the inside. I'ts time to move forward and let go of the past. For good.

Old 04-01-2012, 06:18 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,352,236 times
Have fun this week with all of your new "toys." Sounds like you are headed in a new direction~~good for you!

Old 04-01-2012, 06:42 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,245,419 times
Smile I so hear you....

I was at a funeral yesterday for a wonderful family man, age 85. It is the end of an era in a sense. What a legacy he left.

As I have been thinking about a simpler time and finding my old self, one of my siblings (at the funeral also) told me how stressed, out of shape and just in general how worn I was looking. I agreed.

I am aware of the 6 items - in the past 4 years, I have had about 12 major events and within the last 6 months, I would say about 4. So, the hits keep coming!

As I was struggling this weekend over these feelings, I saw a girl on Suze Orman who was crying out for emotional help (and financial) and then, today, I read your post. Yes, I need to tend to myself so I can handle these streeses I have been given.

I am facing many issues right now but these posts have rung a bell. I have not been able to buy anything for myself in years. I have not been to the dentist in over 6-7 years so I need to do that. I just have to stop feeling guilty about doing something for myself.

You have gotten some really good suggestions! I have light brown hair and I get it highlighted. After doing that, people always say it looks so good. The teeth - number 1. 8 years ago, I had the whitening done at one of these dental chains - it was amazing! I also had an organic facial done and that was great!!

Your friend is coming to see you and may be just as nervous. Just be yourself. A lot of us are going really difficult periods right now and sometimes, honesty is the best as to what you have been through.

Old 04-01-2012, 07:08 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,945,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Singlelady10 View Post
Smile more! The simplest things can make the biggest differences.
The best suggestion of all!

Be in a happy, positive, cheerful, and up-beat frame of mind.

Let the sweet, loving, adorable person you are shine through.

Also, have your hair styled. If the color needs to be "refreshed" let a professional do it.

Old 04-01-2012, 07:16 PM

24,122 posts, read 32,484,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SXMGirl View Post
Have fun this week with all of your new "toys." Sounds like you are headed in a new direction~~good for you!

I feel as though I am headed in a better direction! It's amazing what a little support and help can do!

Now I will pay it forward, and not let my self get into such an emotional and physical slump again. The outside efects the inside. And the other way around!

It's not about being vain or superficial, or attempting to impress someone else. At least not for me it isn't.

It's about treating one's self at least as well as we treat others!

Would I let my teenaged daughter go without products for her skin to help with breakouts? Would I let her skip getting her hair cut when needed? Would I begrudge her for needing to look good at prom? Quite the opposite!

Do I buy my son the type of hair products and the natural tooth paste he prefers even though it's a bit more expensive? WITHOUT QUESTION!

Do I make sure that both of them have the various treats that they enjoy in the house and make changes in my own life to accommodate them? ABSOLUTLEY! And I do not mind doing these things.

In the same way I need to care for myself. I always did, but I began to slip.My husband thinks it's a good thing too.
OK not wildly enthusiastic, he's not very observant, but at least he's on board.

Old 04-01-2012, 07:57 PM

1,215 posts, read 2,960,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I really have gotten some excellent advice here! And, I really appreciate all of it. Ive been a City Data member for a while now (can't think of the exact amount of time) and I have always obtained good information about a variety of topics. I enjoy sharing my advice and information, and perspective with others.

Last night I was stressing about what to do and I thought "why not post on City Data? Someone is sure to be sympathetic and have some good advice."

And they did!

So far, I wewnt out today and bought the following:

Crest White Strips (I hadn't even thought of teeth)
turbo booster vitaman C powder - Thanks
Mario Badescu Kiwi facial scrub (I could not find the St Yves product at ulta, and the sales person recomended this as a substitute.
Yes age refresh smoothing daily cleanse with coconut and blueberries (sounds tasty) believe it or not, I was just using soap - I know that's bad

I am going to begin my regimen tonight. Actually, I'm very excised now, not nervous, thals to all of you!

I see the next week as an interesting challenge. I am even thinking of taking a "before" and "after" picture.

The impending visit is a good thing and instead of avoiding or postponing it, I am jumping in with enthusiasm, and excited about continuing the beauty regimen that I have implemented will all of your help.

Rep all around, and I'll keep ypu all posted about my progress!

This Spring will be a time for rejuvenation and renewal, on the outside amd the inside. I'ts time to move forward and let go of the past. For good.
Crest whitestrips hurt like a biatch but they are worth it. They make your teeth crazy sensitive.

My advice is to always use a highligher... it makes you look "glowy" and gives you a "youthful" look.

Ones that I like include Nars Albatross, Dior Amber Ddiamonds and Nars Orgasm illuminator. IF you use the Orgasm illuminator "dab" it, don't rub it in your skin; apply highligher on your cheekbones and on the inner corner of your eyes and along the length of your nose; these are areas that you want to bring out whereas you can contour to make features recede...

Apply highlighter with a fan brush. Nars O can be dabbed on with your finger. You can find all products at Sephora. I would have an associate there try the highlighers on you so you can see which one suits your skin best. My undertone is yellow so I like Dior Amber Diamond and Nars Albatross. IF you are cool toned you may prefer a different highlighter.

The NARS O is really good tho. I would ask the sales associate for a sample of it; you only need a tiny dab so a sample is good for like 20 applications probably so you can try it before you buy. It's the one in a tube, not the stick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty