Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 12:21 PM

51 posts, read 109,231 times

Advertisements

My 20yo son is considering a forearm tattoo, sort of large and black. No matter where it is or style, I believe he will regret this one day. The more I yack on, the more he tunes me out, and is old enough to get it on his own, anyway. What can I say to make sense to him? I know him too well to see that he will regret it 20 years from now. He is not rebellious type -- just thinks is cool and thought so for a long time. If it were small, maybe, but he wants something large and intricate. A really bad decision! HELP! Please don't advise me to go along with it -- I'm looking for ammunition that will help change his mind. Thank you.

Old 02-26-2012, 03:36 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,211,900 times
Don't know if you can find the clips on you tube but Mark Wahlberg has been on late night talk tv and in two interviews he talks about getting all his tats removed and how much it hurts and costs. He made his kids go with him to see what it would be like if they got one and then wanted it removed.
I think it was Letterman? Not Craig I'm pretty sure so if not Letterman then Leno or Kimmel.
Last night he was on the Graham Norton show saying the same.
Maybe a dermatologist would give him a "sample" treatment.

If you can't talk him out of it at least have him stick with black. Thats the easiest color to remove later.

Also there is some controversary about different inks, some are considered safer than others, maybe easier to remove.
I would definatly research that and make sure his tat artist is using what you want.

Old 02-26-2012, 04:55 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,134,698 times
That might help!

http://www.webanswers.com/post-image...15A9C114B3.jpg

http://pic.epicfail.com/wp-content/u...ilight-wtf.jpg

Last edited by picmod; 01-10-2014 at 12:38 PM..

Old 02-26-2012, 05:08 PM

8,048 posts, read 12,761,708 times
A stylish and meaningful tattoo can be a real statement that you will never regret tommarrow.......

Old 02-26-2012, 05:21 PM

8,048 posts, read 12,761,708 times
I just don't understand this "tattoo craze". Of all the stupid things you can do in life you are going to permanently mar your body?

I was in the Marine corps and it was always the stupid ones who came back to the barracks with a silly tattoo.

I hate to say it but my initial impression of a person with a tattoo is pretty low, I question their intelligence. I know this initial impression is sometimes wrong BUT it IS evidence they are prone to bad decisions.

Old 02-26-2012, 05:58 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,728,260 times
where are all the hot men with tattoo sleeves?

Old 02-26-2012, 07:55 PM

1,866 posts, read 2,848,992 times
Hmmm, age 20.... For me that was 1984. What kind of tattoo would I have gotten back in 1984?

Probably an Iron Maiden logo or something like that. Yeah, I'd regret it now (even though I still love Iron Maiden).

Old 02-26-2012, 07:59 PM

5,331 posts, read 8,538,811 times
I'm not male, but will chime in.

I considered a tattoo while in college. I had the neon hair, nose piercing, leather jacket, and Doc Martin boots - a tattoo would have just completed the look.

But......my common sense told me that there was no way I would like whatever I got tattooed on me a decade or more later.... so I opted not to.

I'm glad I made that choice.

Maybe your son could get some Henna tatoos and then when they fade out, keep getting them re-inked in the same design until he is sick of them. Then he will know if he really wants something permanent on his skin.

Old 02-26-2012, 08:17 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
I'm not male, either...but I am in my midthirties, and I do have two tattoos. I am also not the rebellious type, the "alternative" type, the badass type, the tortured artist type, or the military type. To be honest, part of the reason getting tattooed appealed to me is because most people would say I'm really NOT the type, and I get a kick out of that. I don't regret either. HOWEVER...

...I got them when I was in my upper twenties. I chose the designs when I was a college student, and decided that, if I still wanted them when I was older than 25, I'd go ahead and get them. They weren't on a whim, and I figured that if the designs still appealed to me into adulthood, that was a decent indicator that I wasn't going to grow out of them on a whim, too.

...They are both very small and discreet. Neither is visible to anybody on a daily basis, and I can't see them without using two mirrors. I never considered getting something done in a place that could cause problems for me from an employment standpoint, etc.

While I don't regret either, I have one that is monochrome, black ink only, and one that is done in shades of green. The single color ink one has held up better and doesn't require retouching to maintain crispness. If I could go back, I'd get the one that's done in green done in shades of grey and black. Green is a fast fader. But, no, I've never thought, "Gee, I wish I didn't have these," as an educated, employed adult in the professional world.

Old 02-26-2012, 08:33 PM

3,111 posts, read 8,052,382 times
I would at least try to talk him out of the forearm location. Suggest that he start the tattoo on the upper arm, and see how he like it.

Anyway, I have some very large tattoos, and 30 was about the time when I began to regret having them. All of my tattoos were done between 18-22.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.