Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 03:47 PM

28,336 posts, read 16,566,059 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
I'm not sure I understand why anyone would get a tattoo in the first place if they're just going to have it removed later.

That's an even bigger waste of time, pain, and money.

Moral of the story: don't get anything tattooed if you're just going change your mind about it later.

That's a bit like saying "Don't get married, if you're planning on getting divorced later.". Isn't it? I'm sure people that get tattoos removed didn't PLAN on getting them removed when they were in the tattoo studio.

Or are you trying to say that people need to think twice, and maybe thrice, before they get a tattoo?

Old 03-01-2012, 04:04 PM

19,977 posts, read 20,629,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
That's a bit like saying "Don't get married, if you're planning on getting divorced later.". Isn't it? I'm sure people that get tattoos removed didn't PLAN on getting them removed when they were in the tattoo studio.

Or are you trying to say that people need to think twice, and maybe thrice, before they get a tattoo?

Right, and that's why I haven't gotten married yet.

It's not so much about rethinking getting a tattoo altogether (or marriage itself) but more so the content of the tattoo (or partner in marriage).

If that helps explain where I'm coming from.

Old 03-01-2012, 04:17 PM

Not really, to be honest. No one thinks "Oh, I'm marrying the wrong person, but I'll do it anyway!" or "I don't really like this image, but I'll get it tattooed on my body, regardless!".

Down the road, they may come to realize they picked the wrong content/partner, but they didn't believe so going in.

Old 03-01-2012, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Not really, to be honest.

It's ok. No one here ever does.

Old 03-01-2012, 08:58 PM

37,409 posts, read 54,009,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Sure! I have a generic disorder and my body doesn't produce a certain enzyme, so I got a rendered view of that enzyme tattooed on me. To many I'm sure it looks like squiggly lines, but to me it reminds me of the trials I went through dealing with my medical issues. Plus, now that I have it tattooed on me I guess I sort of have the enzyme as well

I also have a little plane propeller that I got tattooed behind my ear the week I received my pilots lincense. Obvious meaning there since aviation is my passion.

I addition I also have a very beautiful lower arm tattoo that involves birds and flowers that represents overcoming obstacles. My sister drew it so it is very special to me.

An added bonus is that they cover up most of my IV scars from the time I spent in the hospital and the twice monthly IV infusions I had for 15 years until I had my mediport put in.
Neat. Mine are images I designed based on artwork I saw in the country my mom's family is from, which is also one of the countries I studied in when I was a college student. Apart from my heritage, they also serve to remind me of the first thing I ever did on my own as an adult...get on a plane at 18 and travel halfway around the world to be a student somewhere where I knew not another soul on the continent.

Nearly 20 years later, they're not designs I look at in retrospect and say, "Nope, that's not meaningful to me anymore...mistake," so I think I'm good.

Old 03-01-2012, 09:09 PM

653 posts, read 954,908 times
Quote:
I'm not sure I understand why anyone would get a tattoo in the first place if they're just going to have it removed later.

That's an even bigger waste of time, pain, and money.

Moral of the story: don't get anything tattooed if you're just going change your mind about it later.
Is this a serious question?

Most people don't get a tattoo if they plan to have it removed.

Have you never done something as a child then grown up and wished you hadn't?

Have you never changed your mind about something?

Have you never regretted something?

If not, then lucky you.

Old 03-01-2012, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dclamb3 View Post
Is this a serious question?

Most people don't get a tattoo if they plan to have it removed.
Right, but I wasn't the one saying "go ahead and get one, you can always remove it later!"

Not only is that irresponsible, it's an inaccurate portrayal of what tattooing in itself represents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa
Nearly 20 years later, they're not designs I look at in retrospect and say, "Nope, that's not meaningful to me anymore...mistake," so I think I'm good.
^This, this, this.

The content of the tattoo is of utmost importance, especially considering the young age of the OP's son. (Or anyone!)

Old 03-01-2012, 10:13 PM

2,117 posts, read 5,392,124 times
I regret a tattoo I had done a few years ago....

Old 03-02-2012, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Right, but I wasn't the one saying "go ahead and get one, you can always remove it later!"

Not only is that irresponsible, it's an inaccurate portrayal of what tattooing in itself represents.

I don't think that was what was said, though. I think what was said was: "Worst case - he can always get it removed later." However, I agree with your sentiment, if that indeed was the intended message and I misunderstood.

Quote:
The content of the tattoo is of utmost importance, especially considering the young age of the OP's son. (Or anyone!)
This. A million times, this.

Another thing I would suggest is that he goes to a good artist. If he's hell-bent on getting one, please make sure he DOESN'T hate it down the road due simply to the fact that it was horribly executed.

Old 03-02-2012, 05:36 AM

653 posts, read 954,908 times
Quote:

^This, this, this.

Good. Because I didn't say that either. Please reread my post. Thank you.

If I cared more, I'd love to know how old you are, what your experience with tattoos is, what your experience with a parent telling you not to get one is, and what your experience raising children is. But I don't care as it's all of that is a moot point. Your opinion is what it is.

However, I shared MY experience with getting a tattoo, MY experience having a parent tell me not to, MY experience with children, and MY opinion on what to do.

If your opinion varies, that is fine. But I am still sticking by MY experience and MY knowledge on the situation, as none of that is up for debate, nor do I need to explain it to you.

Good day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty