Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 07:11 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,116,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepTheIslanders50 View Post
Can you categorize them?

Macy's
JC Penny
Saks 5th Ave
Walmart
Sears
Nordstrom
Lord&Taylor

thanks
LOW HIGH-END

Saks 5th Ave
Nordstrom

UPPER MIDDLE

Macy's

PURE MIDDLE

Sears
JC Penny

LOWER END

Wal-Mart

I love exercises like these! I don't think you named any "pure high-end" places (like Neiman & Marcus), but Saks 5th Ave is pretty up there.

Don't know where "Lord & Taylor" would fit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2011, 11:27 AM

1,431 posts, read 2,479,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
For Lord & Taylor, I find that some locations have better merchandise, i.e., 5th Avenue and Scarsdale, than some of the other stores in the chain though they seem to have consolidated some of the stores that made me question where they had purchased the merchandise as it didn't look like any brand you would normally find in L&T. Depending upon the store, they can be mid to upscale. Interestingly, some of the merchandise I have seen/bought in Scarsdale, in particular, does not appear online, and is generally confined to expansions of the core designers that they carry, such as Ralph Lauren.

Bloomingdale's used to have a reputation that was more fashionable, and avant-garde than the current iteration of the store, that I agree has filled Macy's higher-end. Macy's has become more of a mass market chain with expansion, such that it tends to be the higher-end of the mid-tier, above JC Penney, despite offering some expanded upscale collections at Herald Square.

Sears would be lower middle, buoyed by their ownership of Lands End, which would incorporate sensible middle-tier offerings with more moderate fashions. Aside from Lands End, and a long-standing association with Levi's, I am not even sure what other brands Sears would sell, though I'd be surprised if some aspect of the moderate Jones Group lines was not carried in the career/sportswear department. This also varies greatly by store, as some stores have Lands End departments that take up much of the clothing floor space, and others have small LE departments.

Saks, Neiman Marcus, Bergdorf-Goodman, Harvey Nichols, Harrods, KaDeWe, Ogilvy's, Holt-Renfrew, Galeries Lafayette, etc. are stores that I would place in the upper-end/luxury/designer tier. Some Le Printemps stores would also tend to the upscale category, but the stores can vary widely in their scope, depending upon individual store merchandising.
I remember reading (Importer's Wife, this would probably fall within your expertise) that department stores often have A, B, and C stores...much like a teacher has A, B, and C students.

Using L&T as our example...

I like to use the store's website as a "baseline" by which to judge one store from another. My Lord & Taylor (Garden City, NY) strikes me as an A- store. Obviously, the 5th Ave. location is A+. In store, I can find oodles of Ralph Lauren, Lacoste etc. The Tommy Bahama selection in-store beats online by a wide margin. Also found in-store and not online at all (men's department) are Hudson jeans. I could go on, but in general "more selection in store, higher priced lines/brands on offer than online." Of course, the clearance section is epic.

Macys is a better example, really, as they're nationwide as opposed to L&T which operates chiefly along the Boston-NYC-DC corridor. Macys has "eaten" a number of regional retail chains, and for those interested in the retail business, this has not been without criticism. For those who travel, you;ll have observed this. My local Macys (Roosevelt Field Mall, Garden City, NY) shares a mall anchor space with Bloomingdales (bold, but they both enjoy significant traffic). My Macy's sells $1,500 cashmere overcoats and has a handbag "boutique" with Louis Vuitton et al (IE, better than the website). Other locations (especially going west) allegedly aren't much better than outlet stores.

Old 11-05-2011, 04:53 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nj21 View Post
LOL! Maybe in my opinion because I frequent them more. And you've got to admit, the electronics department at Wal-Mart is pretty darn good!
I wouldn't know. I avoid walmart at all cost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
I'd classify Walmart (and maybe Target) as middle-low.

Low would be something like Goodwill or Salvation Army.
Goodwill and Salvation Army are second hand stores. I don't think you can compare them to the others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen1971 View Post
I don't know. I think I would probably be able to find much nicer stuff at Goodwill or Salvation Army, albeit used of course, then I could ever find at Walmart. I think ole Wally World is the lowest of the low.

Old 11-05-2011, 06:02 PM

2,631 posts, read 4,047,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen1971 View Post
I don't know. I think I would probably be able to find much nicer stuff at Goodwill or Salvation Army, albeit used of course, then I could ever find at Walmart. I think ole Wally World is the lowest of the low.
It might be the "lowest," but it's also the richest. Walmart makes enough revenue in the US to make all Americans millionaires:

2011 Top 100 Retailers | STORES.org

You know the economy is bad if Walmart is more successful and making 3x the amount of ALL these other places combined.

Last edited by LexWest; 11-05-2011 at 06:12 PM..

Old 11-05-2011, 07:34 PM

1,602 posts, read 4,158,204 times
Macy's | Middle
JC Penny | Middle
Saks 5th Ave |WOW, crazy HIGH
Walmart | Low
Sears | Middle
Nordstrom | High, but not as high as Saks.
Lord&Taylor | Middle/High

You ever shop HomeGoods for home stuff? LOVE them - designer finds at great prices- I found Izod 24.99 towels, for $7.99 each !! LOVE them !!

And, TJ Maxx, Marshalls, and Daffys for clothes - LOVE all 3 - great prices. I wouldn't ever pay department store prices.

Old 11-05-2011, 08:37 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amelorn View Post
I remember reading (Importer's Wife, this would probably fall within your expertise) that department stores often have A, B, and C stores...much like a teacher has A, B, and C students.

Using L&T as our example...

I like to use the store's website as a "baseline" by which to judge one store from another. My Lord & Taylor (Garden City, NY) strikes me as an A- store. Obviously, the 5th Ave. location is A+. In store, I can find oodles of Ralph Lauren, Lacoste etc. The Tommy Bahama selection in-store beats online by a wide margin. Also found in-store and not online at all (men's department) are Hudson jeans. I could go on, but in general "more selection in store, higher priced lines/brands on offer than online." Of course, the clearance section is epic.

Macys is a better example, really, as they're nationwide as opposed to L&T which operates chiefly along the Boston-NYC-DC corridor. Macys has "eaten" a number of regional retail chains, and for those interested in the retail business, this has not been without criticism. For those who travel, you;ll have observed this. My local Macys (Roosevelt Field Mall, Garden City, NY) shares a mall anchor space with Bloomingdales (bold, but they both enjoy significant traffic). My Macy's sells $1,500 cashmere overcoats and has a handbag "boutique" with Louis Vuitton et al (IE, better than the website). Other locations (especially going west) allegedly aren't much better than outlet stores.
That's exactly what I have noticed. When you said the clearance section at L&T, that is so very true at the top-tier stores, as there are racks of clearance of higher-end merchandise that are not shipped to L&T's outlet store. The test that my mother has told me works for Lord & Taylor is whether or not the store offers personal shopping services, as those are the stores that have more depth to the collections. Stamford, 5th Avenue, Roosevelt Field, and Vernon Hills (Scarsdale/Eastchester) all have the service in the NY area. Only Chevy Chase has it in DC, and I think the King of Prussia store in PA. NJ and MA have a couple as well, but the majority of the mall stores do not have the same offerings.

Macy's has issues when you head south, too, as the DC locations are lacking, but that's because the majority were converted Hecht Company locations, which was a tier below what Macy's tried to introduce to the DC market during expansion. Unfortunately, the higher-end offerings did not prevail, and Macy's is a solid example of a grade above JC Penney because the stores that Macy's opened appear to have been downgraded a tier. That's because when Hecht's was in operation, DC had earlier to fade local carriage trade stores like Garfinckels and Woodward & Lothrop that occupied the tier above where Hechts finished, but I am not old enough to know if the old Hecht's was a higher-brand store that chased the mass market to attempt to survive in a more competitive environment, or if Hecht's offered anything on par with the better Macy's stores.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 11-06-2011, 06:17 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,008,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImCurlybelle View Post
Macy's | Middle
JC Penny | Middle
Saks 5th Ave |WOW, crazy HIGH
Walmart | Low
Sears | Middle
Nordstrom | High, but not as high as Saks.
Lord&Taylor | Middle/High
I agree with this, though I would put Macy's a *small* step above Sears and Penney's.

Lord and Taylor....well, the last time I was in there was about 20 years ago. Heck, at the age of 18, I must have brought the median age of the clientele down by at least half. My impression of the Garden City store the last time I was there was that it was really OLD, conservative and not my speed. Unless there has been some serious overhaul recently, I'll stick with that impression.

I've also bought some terrific things at the Saks outlets on Long Island. Back about 10 years ago (not sure how much it's changed) you could find some terrific bargains at the Garden City and Riverhead stores. I've not seen comparable merchandise in the stores I've been to out here in the West.

Old 11-07-2011, 04:54 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,234,836 times
High:
Bergdorf Goodman
Neiman Marcus
Saks Fifth Avenue
Barney's

Mid to High
Nordstrom
Bloomingdale's
Lord & Taylor

Mid:
Macy's
Dillards

Low to Mid:
JC Penney
Sears

Low:
Walmart
Target
Kohls
KMart

Old 11-07-2011, 08:06 AM

3,565 posts, read 7,974,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
High:
Bergdorf Goodman
Neiman Marcus
Saks Fifth Avenue
Barney's

Mid to High
Nordstrom
Bloomingdale's
Lord & Taylor

Mid:
Macy's
Dillards

Low to Mid:
JC Penney
Sears

Low:
Walmart
Target
Kohls
KMart
Almost exactly right, but Kohls is JCPenney's primary competition and sells similar merchandise and is low to mid.

Old 11-07-2011, 08:42 AM

7,034 posts, read 14,474,847 times
I'm not too familiar with the high end but:

Middle-High:

Nordstrome

Middle:

Macys
JC Penny

Middle Low:

Kohls
Walmart

Low:

Goodwill
Salvation Army
Ross
Marshalls
TJ Maxx
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty