Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 07:46 AM

238 posts, read 1,144,400 times

Advertisements

At the front of every Department Store, like Saks, Macy's and Nordstroms, are the cosmetic counters staffed by a variety of young beauty queens. Their job is to sell you over priced beauty products and in many cases actually put the products on your face. I always thought that had to be one of the most awkward things anyone would have to endure. I have seen these "cosmetic queens" put makeup on faces of women with terrible skin conditions. They have to move so close to the customer and analyze every flaw on their face and neck. Personal space is out of the picture.

I would be incredibly ill at ease getting the makeup or putting it on. How about you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2007, 08:44 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,167,635 times
I had my makeup done at a MAC for a bridal party event. I was very uncomfortable. Especially since I couldn't see what she was doing to my face. Then I hated what she did because I usually don't wear much makeup, but felt that I had to keep the face on until the wedding was over. I thought I looked older and too dramatic. However my boyfriend insists that I looked great that day. I did buy a lipstick so I could freshen up my mouth later on.

But I'm never doing that again.

Old 11-08-2007, 09:21 AM

3,401 posts, read 13,371,426 times
I think.. unless you HAVE a really distinguishing skin disease that is evident on your face or neck, it shouldn't be an issue?

If you feel uncomfortable with having them touch your face when they're doing your makeup... stop and think how ill at ease THEY feel having to put up with every customer's skin under the sun that may or may not be particularly pleasing! ugh!

I used to work as a beauty conultant.. for like, 3 months. I couldn't take it. How do you represent a beauty product, and demonstrate it on a lady, and tactfully try to manuver around a huge blistery pulsing whitehead on her cheek, without embarassing her more, or yourself!

*walks away shaking her head*
I do my own makeup. And if someone want's tips or pointers, I'm all for helping. But teach them how to do it themselves, don't do it for them!

Old 11-08-2007, 01:05 PM

27,343 posts, read 27,395,534 times
Cant be any worse than someone walking by and watching you get a manicure or sitting in a chair at some beauty place with your hair all up in perm rods, the smell of perm chemicals....

Old 11-08-2007, 01:16 PM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 9,433,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodtype View Post
At the front of every Department Store, like Saks, Macy's and Nordstroms, are the cosmetic counters staffed by a variety of young beauty queens. Their job is to sell you over priced beauty products and in many cases actually put the products on your face. I always thought that had to be one of the most awkward things anyone would have to endure. I have seen these "cosmetic queens" put makeup on faces of women with terrible skin conditions. They have to move so close to the customer and analyze every flaw on their face and neck. Personal space is out of the picture.

I would be incredibly ill at ease getting the makeup or putting it on. How about you?
Well.....I had that done before, actually at Macy's.
I felt really weird about it, because it was not only the girl doing my make up, but also the whole setting it was done in.
First off....I didn't know the girl, and she didn't know me from Adam. What colors I wear, what colors I like....how I wear my Make-up...etc.
The noise, the bright artificial lighting, the atmosphere, people walking by....just starring........My skin started crawling.
Tried it once, and that was the end of it for me......AND, at the end I looked like a clown.
Instead of focusing of what's important to me, she focused on the newest "Fashion Runway Trend", which colors that season absolutely did not complement me, my personality or my skin color, type at all.
Grrrrrrrrrrr............So, remind me again.......why did I do that to myself ???.....lol.

Old 11-08-2007, 01:28 PM

41,957 posts, read 75,183,468 times
If you don't like it, then don't do it!!

I like having makeovers. I get some good (and bad) ideas, and when I get home I can just wash off what I don't like.

What's awkward is all the ogling strangers walking by. MYOB, people!

Old 11-08-2007, 01:34 PM

3,401 posts, read 13,371,426 times
Some people might just be REALLY BAD at trying to do makeovers too, and shouldn't be let near your face !!! I'm sure they're worth every $6.50 they're gettin paid to stand behind that counter and smile... but unlless you go to a salon, and can sit down and talk with whoever is going to work on any part of you, i would opt against it.

No oggling!

Old 11-08-2007, 04:46 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,035,633 times
Nope. I'm totally comfortable with someone putting makeup on me. I compete in ballroom so I am ALWAYS in somebody's chair getting makeup, or having false eyelashes put on or getting my hair put into a ballroom 'do. I don't care about personal space when it comes to these kinds of things because it's their job to be in your space. They can't be six feet away doing your hair or makeup.

Old 11-09-2007, 05:02 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,116,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodtype View Post

goodtype I guess with you being a man we could understand why you would feel ill at ease with someone putting make up on you in the middle of the cosmetic dept. especially when they got to the "do you prefer blue or plum eyeshadow".

Old 11-09-2007, 06:38 AM

1,887 posts, read 7,939,511 times
I don't know about being uncomfortable per se but I don't trust makeup counters for a couple of reasons: My makeup always looks better than the tons of stuff they pile on me (they're trying to sell as much product as possible so that's no surprise). The other reason is that I realize everyone's level of 'cleanliness' varies. I'm not convinced that a makeup counter sans running water is all that sanitary. I understand that they use alcohol and other disinfectancts but I wonder about the off chance of cross contamination. Don't get me wrong- I experiment at Sephora (one of my fav stores) but I usually test things on my cheek, jawline or back of my hand. I will never use shared mascaras, lipgloss (yuck) or lipstick. Yesterday, I was at the clinique counter attempting to get my free 7-day sample of skincare (without having to sit through the consultation). She didn't let me off that easy--I had toner smeared all over my forehead and cheeks, I was told how huge my pores were that day, we examined my one post acne mark and determined how that ruined my complexion and then (only then) was I able to receive the meager 3pc sample set. Apparantly, she didn't succeed at making me feel too bad about my skin because I didn't buy anything that day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty