Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2011, 03:24 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemon&lime View Post
To each their own---- viva la difference. It's one thing to say you can't use or don't like retinoids due to irritation. If you don't know what they are, have never bothered to learn about them......that's your choice but I wouldn't consider it an educated, knowledgeable viewpoint.
And if you have bothered to learn about them and yet decide that they are not for you? What then? Isn't it possible that one can make an informed and knowledgeable choice and have it differ from yours?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2011, 04:39 PM

2,296 posts, read 6,285,143 times
You can't have an informed opinion about something you haven't tried. I dont tear down Botox or those that use it; I never tried it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
And if you have bothered to learn about them and yet decide that they are not for you? What then? Isn't it possible that one can make an informed and knowledgeable choice and have it differ from yours?

Old 04-29-2011, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Reread my post, I already answered that.
Quote:
It's one thing to say you can't use or don't like retinoids due to irritation. If you don't know what they are, have never bothered to learn about them......that's your choice but I wouldn't consider it an educated, knowledgeable viewpoint
Which was my point when I said that is the attitude that people are finding offensive.

Old 04-29-2011, 05:56 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
You can't have an informed opinion about something you haven't tried.
Of course you can!

I've never had malaria but it's my informed opinion that it's a horrific disease.

Old 04-29-2011, 07:41 PM

3,261 posts, read 5,305,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speleothem View Post
It's said that women reach their sexual peak at thirty-five.
That may tend to mitigate the loss of youthful beauty.
I just turned 42 and I haven't reached my peak yet (sexually that is. )

Looks-wise, I think I saw the most significant changes at around 38-39.

Old 04-29-2011, 10:28 PM

2,296 posts, read 6,285,143 times
I can offer my opinion & you don't have to like it or agree. I used Olay & can compare it to prescription retinoids & thus have an informed viewpoint. I think skin renewers beat washing & moisturizing hands down. I look younger & better since I started doing advanced skincare, much better than I looked at 35 when I first started losing my looks. The myth of aging gracefully is just that--- a myth. Eating well & exercising help but due to stressful modern conditions may not be enough. The culture is much more lookist & ageist than it was ten years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Of course you can!

I've never had malaria but it's my informed opinion that it's a horrific disease.

Old 04-29-2011, 11:55 PM

598 posts, read 2,074,798 times
It's tough. Esp. if you were once beautiful.

Old 04-30-2011, 07:11 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
Quote:
You can't have an informed opinion about something you haven't tried. I dont tear down Botox or those that use it; I never tried it.
I've never tried geurilla warefare with an AK47 in full camo. However, I'm making an informed opinion that it's a dangerous hobby and probably shouldn't be entertained unless you have years of training.

Amazing how I can make an informed decision about something I've never tried. All I need, is some actual useful information.

Also, experiencing something doesn't make you informed about it. Case in point: the Dukan Donuts Hot Coffee Lady. We really didn't NEED warnings on our cups to make sure we knew that hot coffee is hot, did we? But that lady apparently did. She had the "uninformed opinion" that these labels were needed, because she had an "informed experience" of hot coffee on her lap.

What she SHOULD have done, was force the car manufacturers to put a label on the cars: Warning: "Moving around your car while you have hot coffee sandwiched between your thighs is stupid and dangerous and you're an idiot if you think we're gonna pay you a settlement when you burn your cooch while taking a left."

Because clearly, her experience did not provide her with the information she needed to comprehend the facts.

That's "UNinformed opinion" based on experience. You can have all the experience in the world about something, and be entirely uninformed, because your brain is lacking the cells necessary to absorb and proceess the experience efficiently. It's a little something we informed experienced people like to call "Common Sense."

Old 04-30-2011, 08:27 AM

Quote:
I can offer my opinion & you don't have to like it or agree. I used Olay & can compare it to prescription retinoids & thus have an informed viewpoint. I think skin renewers beat washing & moisturizing hands down. I look younger & better since I started doing advanced skincare, much better than I looked at 35 when I first started losing my looks. The myth of aging gracefully is just that--- a myth. Eating well & exercising help but due to stressful modern conditions may not be enough. The culture is much more lookist & ageist than it was ten years ago.
Problem is you don't differentiate between facts and your own opinion. Oil of Olay may not have worked for you. Fine. It may work perfectly well for others. Also fine. That doesn't make your experience or opinion more valid than anyone elses. There is absolutely nothing wrong with your holding an opinion but the way you tout it and constantly dismiss the opinions and experiences of others is uncalled for and condescending

Quote:
The myth of aging gracefully is just that--- a myth
....Says who? That is your OPINION. Not fact.

Quote:
Eating well & exercising help but due to stressful modern conditions may not be enough
Or....it may...

Quote:
The culture is much more lookist & ageist than it was ten years ago
Meh...some parts of our culture are and in other ways, not. Aging boomers mean that larger portion of our population is getting older....and they are often the ones with money and power. Not all culture revolves around Hollywood. As shocking as that may be to some....

Old 04-30-2011, 08:49 AM

2,053 posts, read 4,816,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
It's a little something we informed experienced people like to call "Common Sense."
And exactly who told you all individuals on Earth have that?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty