Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2011, 10:12 PM

2,009 posts, read 3,798,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemon&lime View Post
She's huge like a house post meno.....sorry, an undeniable fact. And old, past her prime, etc. Suzanne Somers has bravely led the way in bringing BHRT to the public. She's youthful looking & sexy. That she "ought" to age naturally and become a shrivelled up old grandma seems to be a real issue for a lot of people.....apparently she doesn't want to. . I respect her right to age the way she wants to...the same as I respect Stevie Nicks for choosing to let herself go.
Suzanne Somers looks like she's had tons and tons of work done, it's not attractive, what's wrong with aging naturally.? I have nothing against getting a little work done if you're not happy with something, but to keep doing it and doing it until you look like a freak is not normal. Stevie Nicks has not let herself go, she looks beautiful, better looking than Suzanne Somers will ever look now, she doesn't even look like herself, he face is gonna fall off soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2011, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellybean50 View Post
So - those who dont fit the beauty standard are supposed to do what? I say we choose not to fall for the MYTH. If more women did, the billions of average-looking ones in this world wouldnt know how to act, with all this new self-confidence and less worry about what the one next to them looked like. They'd have hours every day to put toward work, fun, love, study - anything else besides trying to make themselves look like the beauty standard. I'm sure it wont happen in my lifetime - but i can hope, and try to empower the younger ones that i know.

Oh - and that book was fantastic. It reminds women that they ARE NOT THEIR LOOKS. Hopefully you know that you have many other good things about yourself than just what you look like. If you dont believe that, then women have come no where. Culture wont "reward" the fat, old, wrinkled, or ugly?? Sounds like a dog trying to get a treat

People shouldnt have to be rewarded for what they look like. Do your job good, live with feeling, give to others; work on your brain, your compassion, and learn about the world around you... instead of looking at which movie star looks the best for her age, or has the tightest skin and is the thinnest. These things are not what the world is about.

The reason we think that no one should be allowed to show their age, is because we see what is on the television, movie screens, or what is in magazines (ie. airbrushed and now photoshopped to death).

Good luck aging perfectly... becuz they still dont have entire body plastic surgery, and your bones will still be achey, your hair will still get dry, you will still lose your hormones after menopause - and the replacements can lead to cancer.

But keep following those Hollywood stars !!!
That's right, lets look good one the outside while our insides are falling apart,,,lolol.

Old 03-12-2011, 10:24 PM

2,053 posts, read 3,400,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sues1 View Post
Suzanne Somers looks like she's had tons and tons of work done, it's not attractive, what's wrong with aging naturally.? I have nothing against getting a little work done if you're not happy with something, but to keep doing it and doing it until you look like a freak is not normal. Stevie Nicks has not let herself go, she looks beautiful, better looking than Suzanne Somers will ever look now, she doesn't even look like herself, he face is gonna fall off soon.
LOLOL...

I truthfully laugh a bit at the tight-faced, duck-lipped, lollipop-headed "looking so good for their age" women (lol). Their insecurites sure have shown thru!!

There is a rare one that you cant tell what's been done. And again - to each their own. But i really do wonder how many of them look sooo much better than if some of it was their natural self. If the richest stars cant get the best-looking face stuff done, how can anyone else hope to?

And there's nothing wrong with wanting to look nice, and being the best you can be. But i have just found with my age and wisdom (lol) that i have wasted so much time worrying about my looks, when so FEW people actually care about them. And of the ones that DO care, how many of THEM do i care about?

Yeh, if you go around looking like a slob you will FEEL like one. But if someone loves you only for your looks, you WILL age and change, and a number of other things could happen to your looks - the least of which are disease. Dont live in a bubble.

Old 03-13-2011, 01:28 AM

1,224 posts, read 3,386,396 times
Your right jellybean, I trhink about all of the stress I went through in my tweanties for guys who just liked my looks, thank God for his wisdome that I did not marry any of them. Instead I met my Dh at 31 when I gave up, and found a guy who loves me for me.

Old 03-13-2011, 06:28 PM

Quote:
LOLOL...

I truthfully laugh a bit at the tight-faced, duck-lipped, lollipop-headed "looking so good for their age" women (lol). Their insecurites sure have shown thru!!

There is a rare one that you cant tell what's been done. And again - to each their own. But i really do wonder how many of them look sooo much better than if some of it was their natural self. If the richest stars cant get the best-looking face stuff done, how can anyone else hope to?

And there's nothing wrong with wanting to look nice, and being the best you can be. But i have just found with my age and wisdom (lol) that i have wasted so much time worrying about my looks, when so FEW people actually care about them. And of the ones that DO care, how many of THEM do i care about?

Yeh, if you go around looking like a slob you will FEEL like one. But if someone loves you only for your looks, you WILL age and change, and a number of other things could happen to your looks - the least of which are disease. Dont live in a bubble.
Suzanne Sommers looked good when she was on the sitcom in the early 90's with Patrick Duffy. Looking good for your age doesn't mean looking like a freak. There is so much more to life than that, i guess some people just have to figure it out or they're so shallow they can't, sad to me.

Old 03-13-2011, 11:36 PM

796 posts, read 1,852,596 times
I think I look better now (1 month shy of 45) I did at 25 and 35...why? Because I am so much more confident about myself, in pretty much every single way. Also, the one thing I've found that helps is that I am a sunscreen fanatic and haven't gotten any sun in many years (since my mid-20s).

Old 03-13-2011, 11:44 PM

230 posts, read 624,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by giz2000 View Post
I think I look better now (1 month shy of 45) I did at 25 and 35...why? Because I am so much more confident about myself, in pretty much every single way. Also, the one thing I've found that helps is that I am a sunscreen fanatic and haven't gotten any sun in many years (since my mid-20s).
I gotta agree with this sentiment. I look better now than I did at 16. Because at 16 I was really uncomfortable with myself and my body. I hadn't yet figured out how to dress, how to do my hair, or what colors of makeup didn't make me look like a freak-show. Even in college I wasn't really raking in the men (aside from cheating musicians and weird NYC hipsters). But as I get older, I am starting to really attract men (ironically, I'm not single and can't enjoy it, haha) and when I look at photos I don't cringe!

Old 03-14-2011, 11:10 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,822,636 times
Quote:
So - those who dont fit the beauty standard are supposed to do what? I say we choose not to fall for the MYTH. If more women did, the billions of average-looking ones in this world wouldnt know how to act, with all this new self-confidence and less worry about what the one next to them looked like. They'd have hours every day to put toward work, fun, love, study - anything else besides trying to make themselves look like the beauty standard. I'm sure it wont happen in my lifetime - but i can hope, and try to empower the younger ones that i know.

Oh - and that book was fantastic. It reminds women that they ARE NOT THEIR LOOKS. Hopefully you know that you have many other good things about yourself than just what you look like. If you dont believe that, then women have come no where. Culture wont "reward" the fat, old, wrinkled, or ugly?? Sounds like a dog trying to get a treat

People shouldnt have to be rewarded for what they look like. Do your job good, live with feeling, give to others; work on your brain, your compassion, and learn about the world around you... instead of looking at which movie star looks the best for her age, or has the tightest skin and is the thinnest. These things are not what the world is about.
The reason we think that no one should be allowed to show their age, is because we see what is on the television, movie screens, or what is in magazines (ie. airbrushed and now photoshopped to death).

Good luck aging perfectly... becuz they still dont have entire body plastic surgery, and your bones will still be achey, your hair will still get dry, you will still lose your hormones after menopause - and the replacements can lead to cancer.

But keep following those Hollywood stars !!!
Such a great post!

You can spend your life obsessing about every pound gained and buying every retinoid, vitamin enriched, sun-blocking, skin-enhancing product out there, and guess what? You're still gonna die someday and when you do you'll look just like all the other dead people.

While this is the Fashion and Beauty forum, and while there's a lot to be said for taking care of yourself, there's more to life than trying to look younger than you are. There are jobs to do, adventures to have and people to love. No woman on her deathbed ever looked back and said, "I wish I'd spent more time on skincare."

Old 03-14-2011, 11:41 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,408,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
No woman on her deathbed ever looked back and said, "I wish I'd spent more time on skincare."
Jackie Kennedy Onassis said, when she learned she had a terminal disease, "Why, oh why, did I do all those push ups?"

Great post, Marlow.

Old 03-14-2011, 11:55 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,822,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Jackie Kennedy Onassis said, when she learned she had a terminal disease, "Why, oh why, did I do all those push ups?"

Great post, Marlow.
Can't rep you, but thanks. I've never seen that quote, but coming from such a "fashion icon," it's very telling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty