Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2011, 01:55 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,681,875 times

Advertisements

I think it's silly when we point to celebrities as an example of aging well, when almost all them have help from a plastic surgeon and/or nice air brushing. We "normal" people can't live up to that so why do we keep trying?

I am 40, and I think I look great, and for the first time ever it seems I am very very attractive for my demographic. That's all I need to know. Claiming that I look much younger would just make me look like I'm grasping at straws, in my opinion. And anyway, claiming that I'm 40 but can pass for 30 would prove that I am uncomfortable with where I am in life. Why would I want to do that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2011, 02:03 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,723,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
I think it's silly when we point to celebrities as an example of aging well, when almost all them have help from a plastic surgeon and/or nice air brushing. We "normal" people can't live up to that so why do we keep trying?

I am 40, and I think I look great, and for the first time ever it seems I am very very attractive for my demographic. That's all I need to know. Claiming that I look much younger would just make me look like I'm grasping at straws, in my opinion. And anyway, claiming that I'm 40 but can pass for 30 would prove that I am uncomfortable with where I am in life. Why would I want to do that?
I think C-D must be some sweet spot in the universe since every poster looks 5-10 years younger than their actual age!

Old 03-10-2011, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I think C-D must be some sweet spot in the universe since every poster looks 5-10 years younger than their actual age!
It's the internet in general - I notice this is very common on dating websites: "I'm 40 but look 30." Then you look at the pictures, and they do indeed look 40. I'd rather just name my age without any qualifiers, and let people decide for themselves whether I am attractive enough for their tastes.

Old 03-10-2011, 02:19 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,726,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
That isnt news.

I dont think anyone can name any woman who looks better at 35 than she did at 25. Unless she was a fat 25 and lost all the weight by 35 maybe. For the most part, we ALL lose our looks as we get older.
what about sean connery?

Old 03-10-2011, 02:54 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,723,191 times
Quote:
It's the internet in general - I notice this is very common on dating websites: "I'm 40 but look 30." Then you look at the pictures, and they do indeed look 40. I'd rather just name my age without any qualifiers, and let people decide for themselves whether I am attractive enough for their tastes.
Plus when people say they look younger than their age, I always wonder what that is based on. If it's based on other peoples' comments, most people, when asked to guess someone's age, are going to guess way younger than they think, so as not to take a chance on offending the asker. This is true whether it's a loved one giving his/her opinion, or a stranger.

Old 03-10-2011, 03:00 PM

2,296 posts, read 6,287,612 times
It's about keeping up with the times. Celebrities have become uber powerful thanks to the media......and no, it's not all plastic surgery, especially in the under 45 crowd. The younger celebs exercise, use anti-aging skincare, carefully use makeup, fashion, hairstyles etc...they've raised the bar. These days if you dont do at least some of what the celebs do, you may in fact look *older* than your age or at least poorly groomed. I think society is raising its standards of how 35+ year old women should look. Either you keep up or get left behind.
Quote:

Old 03-10-2011, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Plus when people say they look younger than their age, I always wonder what that is based on. If it's based on other peoples' comments, most people, when asked to guess someone's age, are going to guess way younger than they think, so as not to take a chance on offending the asker. This is true whether it's a loved one giving his/her opinion, or a stranger.
Yep, very true!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemon&lime View Post
It's about keeping up with the times. Celebrities have become uber powerful thanks to the media......and no, it's not all plastic surgery, especially in the under 45 crowd. The younger celebs exercise, use anti-aging skincare, carefully use makeup, fashion, hairstyles etc...they've raised the bar. These days if you dont do at least some of what the celebs do, you may in fact look *older* than your age or at least poorly groomed. I think society is raising its standards of how 35+ year old women should look. Either you keep up or get left behind.
Wow, you really believe everything you hear, eh? Almost ALL actresses over the age of 35 have had work done! Amanda Seyfried just said they want her to start using botox, and she is only 25.

You are living in fantasy land, my dear. Celebrities are "uber powerful" in your mind, that's not the case for those of us grounded in reality.

Old 03-10-2011, 06:45 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,476,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemon&lime View Post

Celebrities are only "uber powerful" in your life if you choose to let them be. There are people whose opinion matters to me but not one of them falls into the catagory of celebrity. And, fortunately, not one of them is lying in wait to check my face for lines every morning when I get up and calculate how old or young I look compared to a bunch of people neither one of us knows.

Old 03-10-2011, 07:52 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,082,825 times
Quote:
I'll share a funny story about this.

A few years ago my husband was turning 34. His secretary knew it was his birthday because his co-workers were taking him out to lunch.

So she asked him how old...and he told her to guess. She guesses 38 and he said "no, try again" so she guesses 39...

When he told her how old he was she commented that she REALLY thought he was turning 40 and she was just being nice by guessing younger.

Poor guy! Thankfully he's got a good sense of humor and he wasn't insulted at all.

Old 03-10-2011, 08:07 PM

6,041 posts, read 11,477,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justthe6ofus View Post
I'll share a funny story about this.

A few years ago my husband was turning 34. His secretary knew it was his birthday because his co-workers were taking him out to lunch.

So she asked him how old...and he told her to guess. She guesses 38 and he said "no, try again" so she guesses 39...

When he told her how old he was she commented that she REALLY thought he was turning 40 and she was just being nice by guessing younger.

Poor guy! Thankfully he's got a good sense of humor and he wasn't insulted at all.
I put my picture on an age guessing site. The average guess is 21 (I'm 19). The guesses range from 11 to 35 (11 and 35 are outliers, I don't understand why people picked those). All the other guesses are between 17 and 23.

So I guess I can conclude based on the age guessing site that I look slightly older.

But when I had a picture on my city data profile, people said I'm young looking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty