Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2011, 03:02 PM

2,296 posts, read 6,300,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miaiam View Post
It will be a beautiful day when people don't instantly form an opinion about others solely based on their looks.

I agree one should do one's best to look presentable - and good-looking, why not? - but sincerely I have no interest whatsoever in getting to make friends solely based on their looks, or have as friends those who will consider me based only on the way I look.

To each his/her own.
That day will never, ever arrive in mainstream America. Because of feminism and the Boomers who are determined to stay active publically in various fields, entertainment especially, there will be a continued focus on women's looks, aging process, anti aging, etc. There is still a belief in middle America that 40 is old & menopause is "the end".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2011, 04:30 PM

2,053 posts, read 4,827,809 times
I am thankful for many people who are 40 (and way over that, for that matter), who I was fortunate to have met and had the privilege to learn a lot from, and who became dear friends. Interestingly enough, if they showed me a picture of their young(er!) years and I looked at them now, they still looked like the same person, just naturally older.

I am all for a beautiful look, but I want to look like myself and look my age. I would like to look beautiful, but not younger. When I am 40, I want to look a healthy 40, I am perfectly fine with that. If menopause is "the end" for some women, for me it will not be, really.

My family taught me to appreciate the wisdom that (usually, just usually) comes with the years and respect those who have more experience in life, and something to share.

I was also taught to have a personality, to be an individual. Just bc red lipstick is fashionable, I don't have to wear it, unless I like it; just bc everyone is crazy about cosmetic trends, I don't have to be, if I don't think it is the best for me.
I will do/wear what is appropriate for my age bc when I get to 60, I would rather hear someone say "today I learned something important from her" instead of "she has an awesome look and she is 60, "way over her prime!"".

Some people are so unhappy they simply cannot skip a day of their lives without an acid comment towards others. When I walk down the street, I would prefer to be referred to as "past my prime" than "insists on looking 40, and everyone knows she is 60!"

Fortunately, one gets to choose one's friends.

Old 03-21-2011, 10:04 AM

5,258 posts, read 9,164,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calicali01 View Post
No way! You are so good looking!
Thanks sweetie But yes, I'm no spring chicken anymore

Old 03-21-2011, 11:31 AM

2,296 posts, read 6,300,372 times
I wish you the best of luck Miaiam. If you take extra good care of yourself your late 30s will not throw you for a loop. You should be informed though that the article is correct.....women do start to lose their looks to some degree after 35 due to various biological factors. Having friends & a good attitude will help you, but being well informed and prepared will help you even more.

Old 03-21-2011, 05:53 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,465,101 times
Hey I went to a Dr's appt. and the receptionist said I can't believe you're &&^%$! You look like you're TWENTY FIVE. BOOYAH. LOL I should have shown her my boo*$. That would cleared up any confusion right there!

Old 03-21-2011, 05:56 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,543,918 times
LOL! <spits diet coke out onto computer keyboard>

You can run but you can't hide....

Old 03-21-2011, 06:33 PM

2,009 posts, read 3,792,245 times
this says it all so well

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUYvNSnKW8o

Old 03-21-2011, 11:11 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,086,727 times
I'm 35. I guess I should just start wearing a bag on my head! lol

Old 03-22-2011, 12:47 AM
Status: "Hate is too easy, Love takes courage." (set 22 days ago)

2,049 posts, read 3,382,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemon&lime View Post
That day will never, ever arrive in mainstream America. Because of feminism and the Boomers who are determined to stay active publically in various fields, entertainment especially, there will be a continued focus on women's looks, aging process, anti aging, etc. There is still a belief in middle America that 40 is old & menopause is "the end".
I dont know what has made you believe this?

I dont see it that way. So many people that i know (it's GOTTA be becuz i'm older) see Menopause as a BEGINNING!!

Whatever news you follow, mags you read, or friends you have - i really think they need to more forward with their thinking. Actually - you mention about Boomers staying more active - they are active mentally, physically, sexually, and in about every way there is - moreso than years gone by.

So how can you say in the same paragraph that the belief is 40 is old?

I am so glad that i dont feel this way, and that my family does not either. One of my sisters is 64 and travels the world, wearing a bikini at all the wonderful beaches she goes to. She's had no 'work done' (had 2 children), and i dont even think she wears any makeup on her trips. Thankfully she doesnt care about what anyone else is thinking of her OLDness.

Old 03-22-2011, 12:55 AM
Status: "Hate is too easy, Love takes courage." (set 22 days ago)

2,049 posts, read 3,382,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miaiam View Post
I am thankful for many people who are 40 (and way over that, for that matter), who I was fortunate to have met and had the privilege to learn a lot from, and who became dear friends. Interestingly enough, if they showed me a picture of their young(er!) years and I looked at them now, they still looked like the same person, just naturally older.

I am all for a beautiful look, but I want to look like myself and look my age. I would like to look beautiful, but not younger. When I am 40, I want to look a healthy 40, I am perfectly fine with that. If menopause is "the end" for some women, for me it will not be, really.

My family taught me to appreciate the wisdom that (usually, just usually) comes with the years and respect those who have more experience in life, and something to share.

I was also taught to have a personality, to be an individual. Just bc red lipstick is fashionable, I don't have to wear it, unless I like it; just bc everyone is crazy about cosmetic trends, I don't have to be, if I don't think it is the best for me.
I will do/wear what is appropriate for my age bc when I get to 60, I would rather hear someone say "today I learned something important from her" instead of "she has an awesome look and she is 60, "way over her prime!"".

Some people are so unhappy they simply cannot skip a day of their lives without an acid comment towards others. When I walk down the street, I would prefer to be referred to as "past my prime" than "insists on looking 40, and everyone knows she is 60!"

Fortunately, one gets to choose one's friends.
Great post.

Some people know what things are important in life.

Maybe i feel this way about age becuz i have two older sisters - one 66 and one 64. They are retired after years of working, both raised two children, both are beautiful (naturally), both love life and live the crap outta it LOL, both have the wonderful senses of humor that my mother passed down to us... I used to worry about turning 60, and then i see them.

There are things about their looks and body they are not happy with - but there were when they were in their 20's - too.

The people's whose 'style' i always admire - are those who chose not to copy someone else, but to just be who they are, no matter what somebody else might think of it. Any fish can swim with the current
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty