Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 08:46 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,180,843 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
When I was people watching at the airport recently, I noticed that the overwhelming majority of women, even older women were wearing pants. Do pants feel more comfortable than skirts? Why don't more women wear skirts? Is it a matter of staying warm?
In the summer I wear skirts almost exclusively because they are cooler. However, when the temperature drops, I put them away because it is hard to stay warm when you have 20 degrees blowing up your...um...well...skirt.

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2010, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpat View Post
The strange thing is that, anatomically speaking, its only women wearing skirts (in our culture at least). Wearing pants that scrunch up certain male body parts instead of wearing a skirt which would provide "room to beathe" seems odd when you think about it...especially when the people with nothing to get scrunched up are the ones allowed to wear skirts.

Until then, women have the choice (as they should) but men largely don't. I would perhaps try one of those utili-kilts but $200 seems pretty steep!
one word

cameltoe

20yrsinBranson

Old 12-14-2010, 08:51 PM

1,949 posts, read 3,868,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
one word

cameltoe

20yrsinBranson
Haha! I'll see your cameltoe and raise you one elephanthead!

Old 12-14-2010, 09:12 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,404,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
When I was people watching at the airport recently, I noticed that the overwhelming majority of women, even older women were wearing pants. Do pants feel more comfortable than skirts? Why don't more women wear skirts? Is it a matter of staying warm?
Women wear pants for many reasons.
First of all, of course, a comfort level, that goes without saying.

Secondly, it's a fashion statement. There are so many different type of pants, jeans that look fabulous on a woman. Let's not forget how a woman's butt looks in a nice pair of jeans. Hot, hot, hot. You can stylize in so many different ways.

When I lived up north it was also the issue of being warmer. Try wearing a skirt or dress in a 30 degrees weather! Even if you wear warm leggings underneath!

Now that I live in the south, it's 50/50 for me. I wear pants and shorts just as much as I wear dresses and skirts.

Old 12-15-2010, 05:40 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,656,065 times
I don't own one pair of trousers ( pants) because to me skirts are way, way more comfortable. I am like those Victorian women who climbed mountains in their skirts !

I have gone down Prehistoric painted caves in a skirt and not had any trouble at all. I used to own two pairs of trousers when I was younger and physically a lot more active for things like proper climbing ( mountain "chimneys" and glaciers) , one warm and water-proof pair and one cool pair for trekking ( cargo-pants type things) and I used to hate wearing them. And a pair of Jhodpurs for riding ( though I usually rode with a skirt). If at all possible or practical to me I wore skirts. I have done a heck of a lot of traveling in a skirt , in some pretty inhospitable terrain.

Getting back into my skirts after wearing trouses was always a welcome relief. I like the feeling of freedom which comes from a skirt, my legs not being clad in something relatively tight. I hate my body feeling confined and restricted. It seems to paralyse me somehow.

I also do find it a lot more feminine which I like despite being the opposite of a "girly, girl". To me it is simply more esthetic. Some trousers can be attractive but most I feel are deeply unattractive.

Old 12-15-2010, 05:53 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,321,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpat View Post
Until then, women have the choice (as they should) but men largely don't. I would perhaps try one of those utili-kilts but $200 seems pretty steep!
A real highland kilt like mine runs over £375 so a utilikilt is actually rather cheap...

Old 12-15-2010, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
Women wear pants for many reasons.
First of all, of course, a comfort level, that goes without saying.

Secondly, it's a fashion statement. There are so many different type of pants, jeans that look fabulous on a woman. Let's not forget how a woman's butt looks in a nice pair of jeans. Hot, hot, hot. You can stylize in so many different ways.
Ya think?

20yrsinBranson

Old 12-15-2010, 12:00 PM

93 posts, read 358,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
I don't own one pair of trousers ( pants) because to me skirts are way, way more comfortable. I am like those Victorian women who climbed mountains in their skirts!

Getting back into my skirts after wearing trousers was always a welcome relief. I like the feeling of freedom which comes from a skirt, my legs not being clad in something relatively tight. I hate my body feeling confined and restricted. It seems to paralyze me somehow.

I also do find it a lot more feminine which I like despite being the opposite of a "girly, girl". To me it is simply more esthetic. Some trousers can be attractive but most I feel are deeply unattractive.
ITA!

I still have a couple of pairs of pants (trousers) that I kept, and every once in awhile am tempted to wear, but when I put them on, feel so awkward!

Old 12-15-2010, 12:24 PM

30,629 posts, read 16,304,561 times
I'm just the opposite-don't own a dress or skirt. I don't feel comfortable in them.

Old 12-15-2010, 12:31 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,837,185 times
I usually wear my sister's handmedowns. My last job was casual (clean jeans, sneakers, tee-shirts as long as they didn't have advertising or anything vulgar on them), so I had no reason to dress up. Before that, I wore a uniform and again - no use for skirts/dresses there. When I come home, I wear sweats.

However, all this talk about skirts is reminding me how much I used to really enjoy wearing the longer ones. "Hippie skirts" they call them, heh. Elastic waist, full gore bottoms. Maybe I'll buy a few if I can find them cheap enough. Retro 60's clothes are stupidly expensive these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty