Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 11:09 AM

6,025 posts, read 15,363,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post

Pregnant <> obese. If you were a normal weight before pregnancy, even being pregnant with multiples should not push you over the 200 lb mark. If you're 200 lbs and pregnant and not 6 feet tall, you gained too much weight. Pregnancy is not an excuse to gain a crapton of weight.

The electrician job was subbed out. I didn't know he was morbidly obese until he had already completed the job. All attempts to contact him were unsuccessful. I should have sued the contractor but that's another story for another thread. My stairs are not weak, either. It is normal for a set of standard attic stairs to be rated for 200 lbs or even less. My other set of attic stairs is 54 years old and does not have a single crack anywhere. Why? We aren't too heavy to use them.
but what is a "normal" weight, I ask you? there are women out there who weigh 180lb that are fit (granted, a lot of them are above average height, but like you said yourself, weight is weight). a pregnancy, even w/ one baby could push such a women over the weight limit of the chair, yet such a women may not look fat so may not be charged an extra fee.

I would bet this salon is just "eyeballing" who is overweight and who isn't. unless they're going to weigh every single person before rendering services, it is a very faulty system. this business should fall for that reason alone, not b/c they discriminated against the obese

as for the stairs, again, if you tell people beforehand your stairs can't handle more than 200lb, then I'm sure no one would risk them. it's YOUR job to inform people before hand if your stairs aren't structurally sound. don't blame an overweight electrician b/c you failed to state his weight would be supported. in such a case, you would likely be liable for any injuries he may have sustained in the fall
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2010, 11:10 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,457,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Sure, people can sue. That doesn't mean they will win. How can someone be forced to do something negligent and put someone else in danger? This what umbrella policies are for. I have one.
#1. Every personal injury/malpractice attorney I know is salivating over your umbrella policy right now.

#2. Even if you case is dismissed, you can spend hundreds of thousands of dollars organizing and defending it. So you're still out the money, time, and stress. Saying that meritless lawsuits are ok because they will get tossed out is a stupid argument because they still cost A LOT of money.

Old 08-26-2010, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
The second they refused her business for being too fat for the chairs, there would have been ANOTHER article and possibly a lawsuit. You can't win. The airlines have learned that.
have the airlines ever been sued? sure there's been bad publicity, but AFAIK, none have been sued yet. such a lawsuit would be ridiculous. if a business can't service you for specific reasons, then they can't service you. there are plenty of businesses that aren't wheelchair accessible, yet they aren't being sued. people don't sue amusements parks b/c they can't fit on a ride. if an obese person sued a salon for refusing them service due to being overweight, then the lawsuit should be thrown out, IMO. again, so long as it's disclosed up front, such a person can either choose to pay the fee or visit another salon. it would be up to the salon owner to judge whether turning away a specific demographic would hurt business (and in this case, it likely would, considering the obesity rates in the South)

Old 08-26-2010, 11:16 AM

8,410 posts, read 39,290,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
but what is a "normal" weight, I ask you? there are women out there who weigh 180lb that are fit (granted, a lot of them are above average height, but like you said yourself, weight is weight). a pregnancy, even w/ one baby could push such a women over the weight limit of the chair, yet such a women may not look fat so may not be charged an extra fee.

I would bet this salon is just "eyeballing" who is overweight and who isn't. unless they're going to weigh every single person before rendering services, it is a very faulty system. this business should fall for that reason alone, not b/c they discriminated against the obese

as for the stairs, again, if you tell people beforehand your stairs can't handle more than 200lb, then I'm sure no one would risk them. it's YOUR job to inform people before hand if your stairs aren't structurally sound. don't blame an overweight electrician b/c you failed to state his weight would be supported. in such a case, you would likely be liable for any injuries he may have sustained in the fall
You should NOT be in a salon getting you nails done and hair dyed if you are pregnant.

Go price some "umbrella policy" crap. If you only have a home type one...get really ready for the big surprise. EVERYTHING costs a lot more when you are running a business. Some business's do not quality either because of it being "high risk". Meaning the insurance company will actually have to put out money instead of collect yours.

Old 08-26-2010, 11:16 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,754,151 times
Quote:
#1. Every personal injury/malpractice attorney I know is salivating over your umbrella policy right now.

#2. Even if you case is dismissed, you can spend hundreds of thousands of dollars organizing and defending it. So you're still out the money, time, and stress. Saying that meritless lawsuits are ok because they will get tossed out is a stupid argument because they still cost A LOT of money.
The solution is not to charge a person $5 more to sit in a chair that is not designed to hold her. Her lawsuit when it breaks and she is injured will be justified, and a $5 surcharge will not make a dent in it. It's basic negligence. And as someone else said (Pitt?), misusing the chair will mean that your insurance won't help you, either.

Old 08-26-2010, 11:19 AM

Quote:

so as a business owner, you have the choice to upgrade your equipment to handle a higher weight, or deal w/ unsubstantiated lawsuits. sadly, most business owners aren't that bright, hence why they fail. this salon owner was stupid and will pay the price in decreased business

Old 08-26-2010, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
You should NOT be in a salon getting you nails done and hair dyed if you are pregnant.

Go price some "umbrella policy" crap. If you only have a home type one...get really ready for the big surprise. EVERYTHING costs a lot more when you are running a business. Some business's do not quality either because of it being "high risk". Meaning the insurance company will actually have to put out money instead of collect yours.
no one is talking about hair dye. look around, a lot of salons offer pedicures and foot massages for pregnant women. if you're healthy and the salon is clean and hygenic, there's nothing wrong w/ getting a pedi while pregnant

again, as a business owner, you have to weigh (really, no pun intended!) the costs of operating a business. no one said they can't charge an extra fee to overweight customers. it just needs to be disclosed up front. it's no different from hair salons charging extra for long hair (the lady who did my dreadlocs charges by hair length and texture, but this is disclosed upfront so no one can really complain). and if they lose business b/c of this, they need to adjust

Old 08-26-2010, 11:27 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,563,530 times
Quote:
I'll be honest, I'm overweight, yet for me, this situation isn't so much abut weight as it is horrible business practices. if a business wants to charge overweight customers more, fine, but you better have a dang good reason for doing so and be able to implement such a rule w/ integrity. I don't have a problem, for example, w/ airlines charging obese passengers extra fr another seat if they can't fit. but then again, airlines tell you of these fees before hand. if a salon wants to charge obese people extra, fine. just say so before hand and I'll just avoid those places (or cough up the extra fee if it's a nicer place and I deemed the quality of services worth it). there are some people out there that wants to see "fat/size discrimination" right up there w/ racial discrimination, sexual and sexual orientation discrimination, etc. I think that would be ridiculous and disagree. the world doesn't need to coddle the obese.

but again, this isn't really about this woman being overweight, this is about questionable business practices and whether what happened to this woman was fair. like I said before, such a fee, assuming it was being implemented fairly (I doubt it) could be enforced on people who aren't even technically overweight (pregnant women and muscular people, for example)
Agree with your post.

This business did not count on the "fat" woman taking their unfair business practices being taken to the media.

This business owner willingly located her nail salon in an area that has a high obesity rate (according to the CDC the 2009 obesity rate in Georgia is 27.2%) So her clientele will obviously be a higher percentage of overweight or obese women.

It was not "smart" business for this nail salon owner to exclude a good majority of potential clients by (1) alienating them with extra fees...especially during a recession and (2) not acquiring the appropriate equipment to service and accomodate those potential clients in area.

But beyond all of this, I have a problem with the overt rudeness and highly unsanitary practices that has been repeatedly exhibited by these Asian nail salons. I really do wish that people would think about the big picture and realize that there is a potentially huge price to pay for the "cheap" cost of a mani/pedi in one of these places. Fingernail fungus and staph/bacterial skin infections aren't worth the cheap prices that these shops charge. The workers often do not properly sterile their tools or the foot baths after each client. Disgusting!

Old 08-26-2010, 11:38 AM

Quote:
no one is talking about hair dye. look around, a lot of salons offer pedicures and foot massages for pregnant women. if you're healthy and the salon is clean and hygenic, there's nothing wrong w/ getting a pedi while pregnant

again, as a business owner, you have to weigh (really, no pun intended!) the costs of operating a business. no one said they can't charge an extra fee to overweight customers. it just needs to be disclosed up front. it's no different from hair salons charging extra for long hair (the lady who did my dreadlocs charges by hair length and texture, but this is disclosed upfront so no one can really complain). and if they lose business b/c of this, they need to adjust
You still are breathing in those fumes. Also you should not get your feet massaged while you are pregnant. If someone pushes too hard on a certain spot it can cause a miscarriage.

The chair won't break and kill her/hurt her.LOL Those chairs will just wear out faster.

I agree it has to be disclosed when you ask. Did she ask? most people could give a flip about 5 bucks. Its probably why it was not said. I am sure your dread work cost a lot more than that. Fightin' amounts! Someone who made a scene over 5$ really also needs to take a good look at themselves. Its probably why she is heavy. Her coping mechanism to stress.

Old 08-26-2010, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Agree with your post.

This business did not count on the "fat" woman taking their unfair business practices being taken to the media.

This business owner willingly located her nail salon in an area that has a high obesity rate (according to the CDC the 2009 obesity rate in Georgia is 27.2%) So her clientele will obviously be a higher percentage of overweight or obese women.

It was not "smart" business for this nail salon owner to exclude a good majority of potential clients by (1) alienating them with extra fees...especially during a recession and (2) not acquiring the appropriate equipment to service and accomodate those potential clients in area.

But beyond all of this, I have a problem with the overt rudeness and highly unsanitary practices that has been repeatedly exhibited by these Asian nail salons. I really do wish that people would think about the big picture and realize that there is a potentially huge price to pay for the "cheap" cost of a mani/pedi in one of these places. Fingernail fungus and staph/bacterial skin infections aren't worth the cheap prices that these shops charge. The workers often do not properly sterile their tools or the foot baths after each client. Disgusting!
Hmmm...Everyone I have been to has been clean and great and nice. There was one that was just a nail salon and it had poor ventilation. I could not even stay inside to wait for the friend. It was still clean though. You can get those infections at any salon. The nail polish they use now does not kill fungus like it used to either. My advice to the fungal paranoid is not to go at all. If you do only use disposable foot tubs (not jets) and bring your own tools and buy a brand new polish there. I would even dry them under a UV light just in case some fungal carrier sampled your polish at the store. UV kills fungals too. Fungus does not care if you are asian or spending more money. It will still show up if the option is there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty