Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 04:13 PM

2,009 posts, read 3,787,496 times

Advertisements

Bottom line with this Asian woman, she didn't like fat people and that was her way of dealing with it. Let her go back to her own country and set up shop there then, because in this country we don't do business that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2010, 04:17 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,509,502 times
Hmmmm....I doubt seriously that dislike of or discrimination against overweight people is limited to a specific race......

Old 08-28-2010, 04:22 PM

660 posts, read 1,399,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Hmmmm....I doubt seriously that dislike of or discrimination against overweight people is limited to a specific race......
No it's not, but I believe that it is possible that discrimination against Fat people may be an acceptable part of the Asian culture. In other words, they don't see anything wrong with bias against it. And I can see this in my own relatives from Asian countries who also have this attitude. In the U.S. we think it's discriminatory, but other cultures just see being fat as shameful.

Old 08-28-2010, 04:51 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,362,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladysovereign View Post

That is just rude! I remember going with a large sized relative to a clothing store owned by an Asian family and as I was picking out some items to try on, the store owner grabbed my relative's arm and showed her this huge tent looking dress and loudly said "You no look at that (pointing to the rack I was looking at), you only try this on!". My relative was humiliated and I was upset for her. We quickly left after that.

There are other incidents I have encountered with Asian salespeople making comments out loud about "fat legs" and "why is she shopping here?" while staring at a friend of mine in a Juniors clothing store.

I hate to generalize, but there really seems to be a very judgmental attitude with some Asian shop owners/salespeople, at least from what I've observed. And I won't even walk in a Nail Salon anymore because of my experiences with the snooty looks and foreign conversation that starts right away after. These incidents remind me of the King of Queens episode where Carrie gets blacklisted from every Nail Salon in town and the Seinfeld episode where Elaine hires George's Dad to find out what they're saying about her.
I have seen this behavior too. Even in the office in a corporate environment the Chinese employees, men and women alike, feel free to comment on other peoples' appearance and weight to their faces. They tell me "you too skinny, you need eat more" and they tell some other employees "you too fat, you need go to gym." It's pretty outrageous; someone really needs to explain to them that both comments are rude and unacceptable here. Indians do it too but to a lesser extent.

I have had to take people aside at work and tell them to please stop commenting on my weight to my face, and they have all been Chinese or Indian. They have been telling me on a near daily basis that I'm too thin. (I'm not.) It's really irritating and RUDE.

Old 08-29-2010, 10:12 AM

1,054 posts, read 3,865,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
It's not just GA and it's not just Asians. Hispanics do it too. And Indians.
Is very true! I know some Korean, so understand what they say about their non-Asian customers. I once went into a new hair salon not knowing it was apparently Hispanics only. They did not even want to cut my hair it seemed like. They also said so derogatory comments in Spanish. I picked up a little Spanish when I lived there. Places like that need to just be honest and put a sign up on the door that reads Asians only or Hispanics only! I wouldn't have gone in there and "bothered them" with my business had I known they didn't want non-Hispanics customers. Kinda funny I was the only customer in the shop.

Old 08-29-2010, 11:00 AM

1,054 posts, read 3,865,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I have seen this behavior too. Even in the office in a corporate environment the Chinese employees, men and women alike, feel free to comment on other peoples' appearance and weight to their faces. They tell me "you too skinny, you need eat more" and they tell some other employees "you too fat, you need go to gym." It's pretty outrageous; someone really needs to explain to them that both comments are rude and unacceptable here. Indians do it too but to a lesser extent.

I have had to take people aside at work and tell them to please stop commenting on my weight to my face, and they have all been Chinese or Indian. They have been telling me on a near daily basis that I'm too thin. (I'm not.) It's really irritating and RUDE.

Its part of the culture and they aren't necessarily trying to be rude. Its considered ok in Asia to reprimand someone to their face for every little flaw. They do the same thing to one another. Asian immigrants come from a one race society and do not have any experience living in a multi-cultural world where not everyone looks and is built the same so they honestly do not know how to act to get along well in America. Asian women are also weight/beauty obsessed. Any woman over 120 lbs is considered obese in their eyes. I once had to console a 110 lb Korean girl who was distraught over her weight. She was literally in tears from other Korean girls calling her fat. There's a lot of misinformation on health issues in many of the Asian countries. I have a Chinese friend who swears going to the gym is what makes people fat and that women should not do any exercise. I'd try to explain other reasons to exercise like cardiovascular health, strengthening the bones, but she doesn't comprehend this. Oh and she's 105 lbs and thinks she's fat too.

Old 08-29-2010, 11:01 AM

24,620 posts, read 19,218,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Clothing, yes, but they pay for it so it's no skin off your nose. The latter three ... just laughable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu
That is ridiculous. Almost as ridiculous as the response from Miu at the beginning of this thread.
Yeah, well riding the #78 back from Clifton Friday night 3 pigs took up 7 seats on the bus.

You might want to educate yourself by going to the EPA web-site and reviewing the standards for fuel efficiency ratings on vehicles.

A vehicle that gets 25 mpg is for a driver that weighs 160 pounds or less.

Bowling balls in the 300 pound range don't get 25 mpg.

It's a mathematical fact. Sorry to burst your bubble.

And yes, they do burn more fuel on aircraft.

And the Fatso's have an abundance of health problems, and naturally, they want me to subsidize their life-style by paying for their health care.

Not gonna happen.

Old 08-29-2010, 12:34 PM

2,009 posts, read 3,787,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Yeah, well riding the #78 back from Clifton Friday night 3 pigs took up 7 seats on the bus.

You might want to educate yourself by going to the EPA web-site and reviewing the standards for fuel efficiency ratings on vehicles.

A vehicle that gets 25 mpg is for a driver that weighs 160 pounds or less.

Bowling balls in the 300 pound range don't get 25 mpg.

It's a mathematical fact. Sorry to burst your bubble.

And yes, they do burn more fuel on aircraft.

And the Fatso's have an abundance of health problems, and naturally, they want me to subsidize their life-style by paying for their health care.

Not gonna happen.
WOW!!!!! "3 pigs"???????? What makes you think overweight people are pigs??? You're one of the most rudest people i've encountered on this board. Why is it ok to say that about overweight people? Do you say the same thing about drug addicts, smokers, alcoholics? Their health care bills are high.

Old 08-29-2010, 01:04 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,362,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtneer View Post
Is very true! I know some Korean, so understand what they say about their non-Asian customers. I once went into a new hair salon not knowing it was apparently Hispanics only. They did not even want to cut my hair it seemed like. They also said so derogatory comments in Spanish. I picked up a little Spanish when I lived there. Places like that need to just be honest and put a sign up on the door that reads Asians only or Hispanics only! I wouldn't have gone in there and "bothered them" with my business had I known they didn't want non-Hispanics customers. Kinda funny I was the only customer in the shop.
Tell me about it. I have no problem with anyone of any race cutting my hair as long as they do a good job and are polite. Good job and politeness mandatory, anything else is totally fine with me. But I have gotten the feeling in some establishments that my business is not wanted. Fiiiiiiiine, I will take it elsewhere then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtneer View Post
Its part of the culture and they aren't necessarily trying to be rude. Its considered ok in Asia to reprimand someone to their face for every little flaw. They do the same thing to one another. Asian immigrants come from a one race society and do not have any experience living in a multi-cultural world where not everyone looks and is built the same so they honestly do not know how to act to get along well in America. Asian women are also weight/beauty obsessed. Any woman over 120 lbs is considered obese in their eyes. I once had to console a 110 lb Korean girl who was distraught over her weight. She was literally in tears from other Korean girls calling her fat. There's a lot of misinformation on health issues in many of the Asian countries. I have a Chinese friend who swears going to the gym is what makes people fat and that women should not do any exercise. I'd try to explain other reasons to exercise like cardiovascular health, strengthening the bones, but she doesn't comprehend this. Oh and she's 105 lbs and thinks she's fat too.
I understand it's a cultural difference, but what they do not seem to realize is that they are living in a different culture now. Due to my grandparents being immigrants, I carry a few European passports and have lived in several countries. I had to adapt even though I already spoke the languages fluently and was already somewhat familiar with the cultures. Some things that are acceptable to Americans are not acceptable to Europeans and vice versa. If you are going to immigrate to another country, at least make some effort to assimilate if for no other reason than to not make people hate you with your rude comments and behavior.

Old 08-29-2010, 01:24 PM

3,485 posts, read 7,321,988 times
Uhhh.... Americans charge more for plus size clothing. I think it is customary to add more charges for plus size people in situations when it requires more labor or more materials. For mani/pedi they are probably spending a bit more time to cover the entire area (esp if massage is involved) so I think it is *completely* justified. I doubt it has anything to do with discrimation (obesity, race, etc). They should have told her something beforehand though about the extra charge.

If people don't like the way Asians run their business I suggest they find another business to go to, or confront the owner. They will usually find that non-Asian business will still charge more on average.

It is utmostly discriminatory to tell people to "go back to their country" because they don't do things "the american way". The american way is to generally charge more for everything than asian stores charge. The "American way" is to be tolerant of all races and cultures.

There are rude Asian people, and there are rude white people. I've seen plenty of white people who are acting out of line, pushing their way in front of others, etc. etc. etc. Same with Asians. White women and asian women all do the same annoying gossipy, loud-talking thing in their own native languages, it makes no difference to me what language it is in. Asians will discuss your appearance to your face, whereas white people will laugh at you behind your back. It's all the same crap to me... the fact that there are rude people everywhere in this world will never change.

Last edited by miyu; 08-29-2010 at 01:42 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty