Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 10:53 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,543,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
True. There are a lot of overweight women in the southern states. But especially those that are black. So perhaps this is also a racial issue.

If you have ever been to the South you know that many women (and men) both Black and White are very much on the heavy side. I don't know whether or not its a race issue but if the nail salon owner has a problem with doing business with large women then she should have located her business in California or Colorado. If she has a problem with Black women then she probably should have located her business in an area that has 90+% non-Black population. If she has a problem with average or lower income people she should have opened a chic, exclusive day spa and charge high prices that most average income people would not pay (but her shop looks like the standard order cheapie, chemical fumes Asian nail salon)

Are those Asian nail salon owners greedy? From the prices I've seen posted in their windows, their prices seem quite cheap. And their services are much cheaper than hair salons that do cornrows, weaves and hair extensions. Those hair stylings seem very overpriced to me. Or at least, relative to the income of those getting those hair styles, it doesn't seem like a very smart way to spend the money they have.
I completely agree with you on this.

I always say you get what you pay for. It is for this very reason that I do not patronize this type of low quality nail salons. The quality of the mani/pedis is so much better when you go to a more upscale day spa - better service, more pleasant atmosphere, etc.

This also applies to hair salon services as well. In LA, people like Paris Hilton, Jessica Simpson, Lindsay Lohan, the Kardashians girls (as well as most other celebs) pay thousands of dollars for their hair extensions (for the hair and for the install) Again, you get what you pay for.

Otherwise, I would like to know how much this customer weighed. Someone that is truly morbidly obese would put more wear and tear on the salon furniture than someone of average weight. And the $5 charge would be a subtle way of discouraging this customer from ever returning. So if this customer and other fat customers stopped going to this salon, it'd really be a win-win situation for all sides.

I am quite certain that this Asian nail salon would go out of business if she only wanted to service "skinny" customers in DeKalb County, Georgia . So actually I hope that the salon owner gets her wish and the "fat" women (of all races) in DeKalb County, GA stop patronizing her nail salon. Again, if she did not want to service "fat" women - why would she locate her business in an area that has a high percentage of "fat" women?
Answers in blue.

Also, I think this incident underscores the problem with these types of nail salons.

In Los Angeles, there have been many crackdowns on these salons for their lack of cleanliness and unsanitary practices, the toxic fumes that they expose their customers to (while they are all wearing surgical masks) and the unsafe manicure practices which expose customers to infections and fungus.

So again, I actually wish that fewer people (no matter their size or race) would patronize these places because of their "cheap" prices and demand better quality service on every level.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2010, 12:04 PM

3,943 posts, read 6,376,907 times
I wonder if they charge $5.00 less if you're really skinny??

Old 08-25-2010, 12:13 PM

1,603 posts, read 3,251,507 times
The real issue is why in the hell would someone want to to go to one of these fungus factories? I'd much rather have short healthy fingernails and toenails - meh!

Old 08-25-2010, 12:55 PM

22,865 posts, read 6,442,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halo_in_reverse View Post
The real issue is why in the hell would someone want to to go to one of these fungus factories? I'd much rather have short healthy fingernails and toenails - meh!
Ha! I agree. Although others are fine with it, I have no desire to go to nail salons. Besides, my feet are ticklish.

Old 08-25-2010, 03:48 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,352,152 times
in this day and age of yelp, facebook, and other social media, never mind national news media, WHY would you risk ruining your business's rep over $5? I guarantee you this business has taken a hit in rep and is probably right now receiving a lot of bad reviews on yelp and other rating sites. it likely won't survive long if this continues. and good riddance! seriously, that is the most BS reason for a BS fee I've ever heard

Old 08-25-2010, 04:22 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,271,814 times
God forbid she stops whining and actually admits its time to start watching herself. I don't know..I think its moments like that you should sit down and look at yourself instead of everyone else and complaining about 5$. Heart diseases will run you a lot more than that!

Old 08-25-2010, 05:43 PM
miu

17,770 posts, read 40,188,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
God forbid she stops whining and actually admits its time to start watching herself. I don't know..I think its moments like that you should sit down and look at yourself instead of everyone else and complaining about 5$. Heart diseases will run you a lot more than that!
Reps to you! I so agree with your post! What are the odds that this obese woman is living an extremely unhealthy lifestyle? Instead of getting upset over being charged $5 for being overweight, she should be skipping on the nail glamour and instead turning around her life and eating healthy and exercising. I'm sure that she's not pleasingly plump, but plain morbidly obese.

Old 08-25-2010, 05:47 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,289,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Reps to you! I so agree with your post! What are the odds that this obese woman is living an extremely unhealthy lifestyle? Instead of getting upset over being charged $5 for being overweight, she should be skipping on the nail glamour and instead turning around her life and eating healthy and exercising. I'm sure that she's not pleasingly plump, but plain morbidly obese.
Well, let's see. I've just lost 20 pounds, and I have lots more to go (metabolic problem which is now coming under control). So, if I go to a nail salon to reward myself for losing 20 pounds, I deserve to be insulted and overcharged?

Now, she may not be doing this. She may be someone who is on a medication that causes weight gain. Or she could eat twelve cheeseburgers a day. Thing is, you have no way of knowing, and so you are judging solely on weight without knowing the story behind it.

Old 08-25-2010, 05:59 PM

50,388 posts, read 64,034,538 times
As I have posted elsewhere, the Asian nail salons in GA are pretty consistant in that they talk to each other, or talk on their cell phone, in some foreign language instead of their client. But there is one on every corner, so if you don't like the atmosphere for whatever reason, go down the street.

Old 08-25-2010, 06:03 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,304,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
As I have posted elsewhere, the Asian nail salons in GA are pretty consistant in that they talk to each other, or talk on their cell phone, in some foreign language instead of their client. But there is one on every corner, so if you don't like the atmosphere for whatever reason, go down the street.
It's not just GA and it's not just Asians. Hispanics do it too. And Indians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty