Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 03:37 PM

21 posts, read 65,856 times

Advertisements

I'm 28 male, 5'7 and I weight 125lbs, it's big to me, I'm not chubby or have a beer belly, not even close, but it looks like in order to make it flat flat I have to weight like 112lbs, but that would be weird since I haven't weighted that much since probably elementary, it's only been 1 month now of exercising, when I started I was 136lbs, I have 5 more weeks to go and I want to weight 117 lbs, before this month I wasn't exercising and eating unhealthy, bag of different chips every day, pastries, etc...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2013, 05:40 PM

7,125 posts, read 12,665,237 times
Everyone has a pattern as to where they carry their excess weight. For men, it's usually around the mid-section--the dreaded "love handles." So you're not unusual. Crunches, sit-ups and such can help firm up the underlying muscles to eliminate the "jelly belly" factor, but some fat may still linger as spot reducing is rarely doable.

And yes, the high carb/fat junk food you were eating may have contributed to your belly. Best to avoid them, along with sugary soft drinks and beer.

Others here may have other specific exercises to recommend.

Old 02-27-2013, 05:53 PM

17,372 posts, read 16,511,485 times
Isn't this the second time that you've asked this question. I'm suddenly filled with Deja Vu....

117 pounds on a 5'7" frame is underweight. It isn't healthy. Especially on a guy. Why are you trying to get so skinny?

Old 02-27-2013, 06:47 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,812,184 times
You perhaps have a more severe pelvic tilt, perhaps you should determine if you and and if so, take actions to correct it. What is your body fat %? You can go ahead and starve yourself to death and still have too high of a body fat.

And 5'7" and 117? Why do you want to be a walking skeleton? Is there some reason you are obsessed with a flat stomach? A flat stomach in no way means you will look/are in shape or something, if that is what you are thinking.

Old 02-27-2013, 10:28 PM

650 posts, read 1,811,943 times
You are skinny fat. A naturally skinny person but with a high body fat. You probably have somewhere between 20%-25% body fat due to the junk food you eat. Just because someone is naturally skinny doesn't mean they can get away with all that junk.

Your best bet is to watch your diet and increase your protein intake. Start lifting heavier so you pack on the muscles and weigh a little more.

Old 02-28-2013, 09:01 AM

132 posts, read 188,384 times
Sugar and excess carbs is whats causing the excess body fat. Cut back on those and maybe try to gain some weight instead of losing it.

Old 02-28-2013, 09:18 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,710,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
Isn't this the second time that you've asked this question. I'm suddenly filled with Deja Vu....

117 pounds on a 5'7" frame is underweight. It isn't healthy. Especially on a guy. Why are you trying to get so skinny?
https://www.city-data.com/forum/exerc...junk-food.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
Your minimum weight for 5'7.5'' is 120 lbs. Any lower than that and you have to review body fat because you could be too lean/unhealthy underweight.

If you eat like that you are going to have a gut. The food just sticks around in there, the sodium and sugar bloat you and the lack of proper nutrients leaves you skinny fat. That doesn't get fixed in a month. Wait till you have 3-6 months in of eating properly and working out to see a real difference.

Old 02-28-2013, 11:48 AM

6,126 posts, read 10,106,671 times
Oh my goodness that is way too skinny. Why would you do that to yourself? Your stomach can't be that big at 125 pounds and that height.

Old 02-28-2013, 03:54 PM

21 posts, read 65,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
Oh my goodness that is way too skinny. Why would you do that to yourself? Your stomach can't be that big at 125 pounds and that height.
it isn't big when you compare it to those who are chubby and overweight, but considering I only weight 125 I think my stomach should be flatter, it's like I have to weight 110lbs for it to be satisfying flat which is strange, I might be skinny to the average overweight american person, but I look average compared to those cultures where they weight better, a skinny person has a flat flat stomach but I don't, my biceps are small LOL but that's okay since I like it that way, I don't like lifting weights, I hate it, I can jog but pushups, lifting weights I hate, I do a few pullups but that's to stretch my back which is a little crooked

Old 02-28-2013, 04:37 PM

132 posts, read 188,384 times
No there is such a thing as skinny fat, and to other cultures you would still be skinny. Your a male and you weigh what women weigh. at 5'7 you would still be skinny at 140lbs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness