Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 05:00 PM

21 posts, read 66,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovaninek View Post
No there is such a thing as skinny fat, and to other cultures you would still be skinny. Your a male and you weigh what women weigh. at 5'7 you would still be skinny at 140lbs
I guess it's just how my body naturally is like, before this month I was eating junk food like crazy, anything I wanted anytime, as much as I wanted, sometimes I spent the whole day eating when I was off and when I say the whole day like having something in my mouth every hour, damn all of that eating and I only weight 125lbs now, lol, I should be fat the way I was eating, now I'm eating right and exercising right all due to motivation of my main goal-- to weight at least 119lbs with shoes on by April 5th which is when I plan to visit family in Central America and it's the week I will also get a physical examination, but the next week I will go back to eating junk food and not exercising
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2013, 08:59 AM

5,319 posts, read 9,033,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mothman09 View Post
I guess it's just how my body naturally is like, before this month I was eating junk food like crazy, anything I wanted anytime, as much as I wanted, sometimes I spent the whole day eating when I was off and when I say the whole day like having something in my mouth every hour, damn all of that eating and I only weight 125lbs now, lol, I should be fat the way I was eating, now I'm eating right and exercising right all due to motivation of my main goal-- to weight at least 119lbs with shoes on by April 5th which is when I plan to visit family in Central America and it's the week I will also get a physical examination, but the next week I will go back to eating junk food and not exercising

Thin people might be fat on the inside - Health - Fitness | NBC News

Quote:
According to the data, people who maintain their weight through diet rather than exercise are likely to have major deposits of internal fat, even if they are otherwise slim. “The whole concept of being fat needs to be redefined,” said Bell, whose research is funded by Britain’s Medical Research Council

Old 03-01-2013, 12:15 PM

7,214 posts, read 12,824,311 times
Quote:
I find this sad...trying to get in shape for a visit home and for a physical--and then back to eating junk food? Why? Appearance is only skin deep, but ill-health goes all the way through your body. Why not turn bad habits into good permanently so you LOOK and ARE healthy?

Of course, there is the Jame Dean school of living:"Live fast, die young, and leave a beautiful corpse."

Last edited by LittleDolphin; 03-01-2013 at 12:17 PM.. Reason: misquote

Old 03-01-2013, 02:08 PM

5,139 posts, read 12,775,887 times
Skinny fat is not a good look:

http://www.rooshvforum.com/attachment.php?aid=6422

And it happens. See pic above.

One for the girls in denial:
http://fivehourfitness.com/wp-conten...male-model.jpg

Skinny fat is very real.

Old 03-01-2013, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovaninek View Post
No there is such a thing as skinny fat, and to other cultures you would still be skinny. Your a male and you weigh what women weigh. at 5'7 you would still be skinny at 140lbs

Not true.
"The medical term for this is "MONW," or metabolically obese normal weight, which I prefer to refer to as being a skinny fat person. It means you are under lean but over fat -- not enough muscle and too much fat (especially belly fat)."

Mark Hyman, MD: Are You a Skinny Fat Person? 10 Steps to Cure the Skinny Fat Syndrome

And the #1 thing to do to fix it:

"Eat a Low-Glycemic Load Diet --"

That doesn't come in junk food.

Old 03-01-2013, 02:29 PM

31,769 posts, read 41,103,803 times
Quote:
someone would be impressed by a man that weighs 119lbs? if you want to get in shape for meeting people, you need to get beefcake and lean like captainnj.

Old 03-01-2013, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
Skinny fat is not a good look:

http://www.rooshvforum.com/attachment.php?aid=6422

And it happens. See pic above.

One for the girls in denial:
http://fivehourfitness.com/wp-conten...male-model.jpg

Skinny fat is very real.
who said they are skinny? they don't look skinny to me, the girl looks chubby and the guy looks like a nerd who is out of shape, far from being skinny

Old 03-01-2013, 04:51 PM

3,763 posts, read 6,761,468 times
Having belly fat is very common for men. Doing crunches and sit ups may help tone your abs underneath but will do nothing for the fat above it. Don't eat a big meal right before bed, confuse your body with various cardio, and cut back on the sugar, burgers, donuts, etc.

Old 03-02-2013, 04:22 AM

Quote:
who said they are skinny? they don't look skinny to me, the girl looks chubby and the guy looks like a nerd who is out of shape, far from being skinny

I didn't. I said they were skinny-fat. Did you read the link about what that means? See post #15's link.

They both have high fat bodies for their "healthy" weighted size. They are far from being lean or muscular but definitely "healthy weights". The nerd also has a gut.
The girl is a VS model, 5'11'' @ 160lbs - BMI 22.3, but she does have a high body fat percentage for that BMI. If she was more muscular and didn't put it all on in fat due to a thyroid issue it would not be rolled and flabby like that. Normal weight: 130lbs, 18.1 Slightly underweight.

Karolina Kurkova reveals how thyroid problem caused premature menopause, 30lb weight gain and panic attacks | Mail Online
^^pictures at her lower weight.

Still not at low as your goals....17.5

If you really believe that goal is reasonable, you should probably talk to a professional about BDD and disordered eating.

Body dysmorphic disorder - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Psych Central - Eating Attitudes Test
"Use this quiz to help you determine
if you might need to see a mental health professional for diagnosis
and treatment of anorexia, bulimia, or another eating disorder"

Old 03-02-2013, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
I didn't. I said they were skinny-fat. Did you read the link about what that means? See post #15's link.

They both have high fat bodies for their "healthy" weighted size. They are far from being lean or muscular but definitely "healthy weights". The nerd also has a gut.
The girl is a VS model, 5'11'' @ 160lbs - BMI 22.3, but she does have a high body fat percentage for that BMI. If she was more muscular and didn't put it all on in fat due to a thyroid issue it would not be rolled and flabby like that. Normal weight: 130lbs, 18.1 Slightly underweight.

Karolina Kurkova reveals how thyroid problem caused premature menopause, 30lb weight gain and panic attacks | Mail Online
^^pictures at her lower weight.

Still not at low as your goals....17.5

If you really believe that goal is reasonable, you should probably talk to a professional about BDD and disordered eating.

Body dysmorphic disorder - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Psych Central - Eating Attitudes Test
"Use this quiz to help you determine
if you might need to see a mental health professional for diagnosis
and treatment of anorexia, bulimia, or another eating disorder"

I'm far from having that mental disorder. Like I said before, before this month I was eating whatever I wanted, as much as I wanted, whenever I wanted and I saw myself in the mirror and did noticed my stomach which wasn't good but far from being overweight and obese and even chubby or thick. It bothered me knowing I was out of shape and what motivated me and still does is knowing that in a couple of weeks I will visit the country I was born in and see family. The last time I went there was over 8 years ago. I want to go back and look the same. My weight back then 116lbs at 20 years old. This is just the way my body is. I am 125lbs, only 6 more pounds to go and I have 5 weeks. I'm sure I'll be able to do it. I will probably end up losing more than that I''m sure. Without a motivation or a purpose it's hard for me to exercise. What I do probably have is depression, and it's been years like this. I'm very depressed to the point I feel these are my last days (I'm not suicidal so calm down).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness