Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2013, 10:34 AM

632 posts, read 1,030,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mothman09 View Post
I'm 28 male, 5'7 and I weight 125lbs, ....................................... I want to weight 117 lbs, .
Why on earth would a male want to lose weight to get down to 117 pounds?

How exactly did you come up with this as your target weight?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2013, 10:44 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,186,782 times
Ask yourself if your family is going to be looking at your stomach or your face?

It's been years since they last saw you. Do you really think they will remember what you looked like then?

Old 03-02-2013, 11:16 AM

5,319 posts, read 8,986,362 times
Quote:
I'm far from having that mental disorder. Like I said before, before this month I was eating whatever I wanted, as much as I wanted, whenever I wanted and I saw myself in the mirror and did noticed my stomach which wasn't good but far from being overweight and obese and even chubby or thick. It bothered me knowing I was out of shape and what motivated me and still does is knowing that in a couple of weeks I will visit the country I was born in and see family. The last time I went there was over 8 years ago. I want to go back and look the same. My weight back then 116lbs at 20 years old. This is just the way my body is. I am 125lbs, only 6 more pounds to go and I have 5 weeks. I'm sure I'll be able to do it. I will probably end up losing more than that I''m sure. Without a motivation or a purpose it's hard for me to exercise. What I do probably have is depression, and it's been years like this. I'm very depressed to the point I feel these are my last days (I'm not suicidal so calm down).
What better motivation is there than to be as healthy and fit as possible?

At 5' 7", 116lbs is extremely thin for a male.

According to numerous health websites you should weigh between 133 - 163 lbs.

Here is one sample: Ideal Weight and Height Chart | Body Mass Index Chart | Rush

Your ideal weight is around 143lbs.

If you are very muscular, you will likely weigh more.

And regarding your depression ... junk food may be the main cause.

Is Junk Food Making You Depressed? - Shape Magazine

Scientific Proof That Junk Food Makes You Miserable

Perhaps some of these bodybuilding transformation stories of very thin people who packed on weight and muscle will help motivate you:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/matt...d-mindset.html

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/body...ve-charge.html

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/body...irty-bulk.html

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/body...ic-growth.html

Last edited by RD5050; 03-02-2013 at 11:45 AM..

Old 03-02-2013, 01:44 PM

21 posts, read 65,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post
What better motivation is there than to be as healthy and fit as possible?

At 5' 7", 116lbs is extremely thin for a male.

According to numerous health websites you should weigh between 133 - 163 lbs.

Here is one sample: Ideal Weight and Height Chart | Body Mass Index Chart | Rush

Your ideal weight is around 143lbs.

If you are very muscular, you will likely weigh more.

And regarding your depression ... junk food may be the main cause.

Is Junk Food Making You Depressed? - Shape Magazine

Scientific Proof That Junk Food Makes You Miserable

Perhaps some of these bodybuilding transformation stories of very thin people who packed on weight and muscle will help motivate you:

Bodybuilding.com - Change Your Body By Educating Yourself About Nutrition.

Bodybuilding.com - Body Transformation: Positive Charge

Bodybuilding.com - Body Transformation: Dirty Bulk

Bodybuilding.com - Body Transformation: Volcanic Growth

junk food isn't the reason why I'm depressed, I'm depressed now but my motivation to lose the necessary weight knowing I will be seen by family in another country in a few weeks is the ONLY reason why I've been able to last this long without the junk food, I don't lift weights, do push ups, I don't like that particular look on me, looking muscular is not what I want, bodybuilding is not only uncomfortable but boring, cardio is way better, it's fun to do, I don't believe in those charts created by americans who are known for being overweight, 143lbs and my stomach will definitely not be flat

Old 03-02-2013, 02:02 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,186,782 times
Your stomach may NEVER be flat for the simple reason of the way you are built. That's where a lot of your GUTS are. They take up a lot of room and you can't reduce them. Good muscles hold them in better.

You don't have to be muscular looking. Do just enough to tighten the muscles that hold your stomach in, and keep your waistline where it should be.

If you are as skinny as you sound. Your family is going to think you are sick or something.

Old 03-02-2013, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
Your stomach may NEVER be flat for the simple reason of the way you are built. That's where a lot of your GUTS are. They take up a lot of room and you can't reduce them. Good muscles hold them in better.

You don't have to be muscular looking. Do just enough to tighten the muscles that hold your stomach in, and keep your waistline where it should be.

If you are as skinny as you sound. Your family is going to think you are sick or something.

I do situps, I don't have a problem with doing situps.

Old 03-02-2013, 06:02 PM

Quote:
junk food isn't the reason why I'm depressed, I'm depressed now but my motivation to lose the necessary weight knowing I will be seen by family in another country in a few weeks is the ONLY reason why I've been able to last this long without the junk food, I don't lift weights, do push ups, I don't like that particular look on me, looking muscular is not what I want, bodybuilding is not only uncomfortable but boring, cardio is way better, it's fun to do, I don't believe in those charts created by americans who are known for being overweight, 143lbs and my stomach will definitely not be flat
The below 22 year old guy is the same height as you (5'7") and weighs 162lbs. He has 6% bodyfat.

At 162lbs, would you consider him "overweight"? Does his stomach look "flat" to you?

Bodybuilding.com - John Miller Demolished 12 Percent Body Fat To Get Ripped Six-Pack Abs!

Old 03-02-2013, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post
The below 22 year old guy is the same height as you (5'7") and weighs 162lbs. He has 6% bodyfat.

At 162lbs, would you consider him "overweight"? Does his stomach look "flat" to you?

Bodybuilding.com - John Miller Demolished 12 Percent Body Fat To Get Ripped Six-Pack Abs!

no, his stomach isn't flat, he's beefy, not overweight, don't like that particular look

Old 03-02-2013, 08:50 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,822,893 times
Quote:
no, his stomach isn't flat, he's beefy, not overweight, don't like that particular look
You missed his point.

Old 03-03-2013, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Then you and I must have different definitions of "flat" stomach?

Here he is again in a another photo:

Moderator cut: image removed

Honestly, I think it is a waste of time discussing "exercise and fitness" with someone who has no desire to eat properly, or follow medical guidelines concerning healthy weight.

You are a 28 year old man, and apparently want to have the body of a very slender teenage boy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness