Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2010, 03:41 AM

12 posts, read 25,697 times

Advertisements

I'm a graduated senior heading to college to play football i'm 6'0 180. I would like to put on 10-15lbs before season
I'm planning on taking whey protein, creatine, bcaa capsules, glutamine and flax seed oil.
is this good? and what other things should i take into consideration?
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2010, 08:42 AM

12,973 posts, read 34,035,663 times
Talk to your coaches and strength trainers at your school. You will be training for sports specific purposes so they would be able to help you with EXACTLY what you need. At your size/weight you are probably a wide receiver or cornerback so explosive speed will be more important that bulk/size so talk to your coaches.

I personally dont think anything is wrong with want you want to take. Actually, I think all that is great, but I still think you should talk to the strength trainers and coaches for more info.

Good luck.

Old 07-04-2010, 12:26 AM

14,580 posts, read 23,144,326 times
I agree with Lao. You should consider NO-Xplode as it's a very good NO2 product that has creatine in it.

Old 07-08-2010, 04:29 AM

2,819 posts, read 6,468,376 times
Defiantly ask your coach, theres so many little things in these supplements which could derail everything if you got tested positive, the best two pieces of advice I can give you is NEVER be shy to ask questions regarding supplements, no matter how stupid you may feel AND focus BIG on your diet, as this will be the main core of your success into gaining weight.

I'm guessing you'll be aware that you'd be the minority if you weren't taking supplements.

Also if you have above average speed, I'd focus on that more than adding bulk, you can add bulk any time of year, but you cannot teach natural teach speed , if however you just have average speed, of course do the plyometric stuff and adding some bulk.

Have you any idea of where you'll be playing?

Old 07-08-2010, 10:07 AM

8,286 posts, read 38,854,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athleticakkid View Post
I'm a graduated senior heading to college to play football i'm 6'0 180. I would like to put on 10-15lbs before season
I'm planning on taking whey protein, creatine, bcaa capsules, glutamine and flax seed oil.
is this good? and what other things should i take into consideration?
Thanks
Safety? RB? I'm assuming defensive back for some reason.

The most important thing is going to be your workout program, your diet and getting at least 8 hours of sleep every night. No smoking and minimize your drinking. Don't get drunk this summer.

Lean animal protein is probably better than whey supplements, but I've always perceived benefits from supplementation even when my diet was dead-on.

A word about creatine: It isn't necessarily going to help you unless your workout schedule is absolutely full. If you are religiously stressing your muscles to failure in a strength/mass building program and the only thing holding you back is proper recovery time, then you can apply creatine monohydrate correctly. The only thing that creatine does is allow you to train more efficiently. If you are loaded, you should be able to do an extra set or extra reps at the same weight before your muscles fail. In other words, creatine is not, by itself, contributing to muscle gain. It is allowing you to further punish and confuse your muscles than you would be able to naturally. You will retain some water on creatine so you look bulkier and weigh a little more, but that isn't real.

DO NOT NEGLECT SPEED! Speed kills in football. Work in a lot of explosive exercises. Box jumps, medicine ball training, power cleans, snatch, sprint drills, uphill running, etc. etc. If you can trade 5 or 10 pounds for acceleration and top-end, DO IT. Being able to close and GET THERE is more important than being able to de-cleat. Maybe consider enrolling in a cross-fit class for the summer.

I personally think nitric oxide is totally bogus, but that's just me.

I don't fully understand branched chain aminos, but why not?

Old 07-10-2010, 03:13 PM

I will more then likely be playing db this season, although there is a possibility I will play some slot wr. Thanks for all the advice so far. Alot of my workout program has me doing explosive lifts: hang clean, snatch etc. and it also has some speed workouts involved however I would like to add more. So from everything I've heard it sounds like I should focus on trying to stay at my weight but become leaner while increasing my speed. Advice on how to do that? Thanks

Old 07-10-2010, 03:38 PM

12,973 posts, read 34,035,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athleticakkid View Post
So from everything I've heard it sounds like I should focus on trying to stay at my weight but become leaner while increasing my speed. Advice on how to do that? Thanks
Actually, from everything you've heard, you should be talking to your coaches and the school's strength and conditioning trainers. NOT someone on the internet.

What were you guys doing in spring practice? Arent you having summer workouts as well?

Old 07-10-2010, 04:16 PM

8,286 posts, read 38,854,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
Actually, from everything you've heard, you should be talking to your coaches and the school's strength and conditioning trainers. NOT someone on the internet.

What were you guys doing in spring practice? Arent you having summer workouts as well?
I kinda had a feeling that he would be walking on or that this may be a D3 program, but I agree with you, Lao. My incoming summer I was provided with a workout plan and the number to the strength coach if there were any questions. I was EXPECTED to call in my numbers every two weeks.

Absent any of that, I would seriously, seriously consider enrolling in a cross-fit group (assuming that one would be available in your area, of course) for the summer and supplementing it with strength training.

By the way, to get faster you have to strengthen your legs and you have to do a lot of sprint work. Get a training partner.

Old 07-11-2010, 03:57 AM

I'm an incoming freshman to an NAIA school so I didn't have a spring game. I have been doing the summer workout program that the coaches gave to me. I have talked to the coaches and they told me what I was doing was fine. I just wanted some advice on other things I could be doing to get myself more ready.

Old 07-12-2010, 02:59 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,813,093 times
don't underestimate the importance of lateral movement and agility for defensive backs. you may want to do bag jumps, box jumps, t drills, etc.

Last edited by le roi; 07-12-2010 at 03:44 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness