Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2020, 01:28 PM

5,214 posts, read 4,026,336 times

Advertisements

^ My view is realistic, not "anti-russian", just because I don't want the USSR back or Russian influence in politics doesn't make me anti-some country.

Also: no and no. I agree America still has influence over the world, be it the EU, Western Europe, Bulgaria or elsewhere but their influence is continuously on the downfall ever since the Bush times (early 2000s) and the peak was still the Clinton administration as far as world influence is considered. EU's biggest issue isn't about outer threats be it refugees, Russia or America but from the inside: lack of integration and lack of innovation - because united Europe can deal with the world like no one else can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2020, 01:56 PM

26,795 posts, read 22,572,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by euro123 View Post
^ My view is realistic, not "anti-russian", just because I don't want the USSR back or Russian influence in politics doesn't make me anti-some country.

Also: no and no. I agree America still has influence over the world, be it the EU, Western Europe, Bulgaria or elsewhere but their influence is continuously on the downfall ever since the Bush times (early 2000s) and the peak was still the Clinton administration as far as world influence is considered. EU's biggest issue isn't about outer threats be it refugees, Russia or America but from the inside: lack of integration and lack of innovation - because united Europe can deal with the world like no one else can.

But it isn't and it can't be "united" - not more than multi-ethnic America can be.

You think ( or rather dream on) within American train of thought - as long as we are all "whites" ( being "European") we can be all "united" somehow - the way Americans are united ( or rather separated into different groups) on the basis of their skin color.
But it's not the case in Europe.

Europe is separated through the "family tree" - that's the best way I can put it, not on the basis of "skin color." And even if this separation is not as simplistic and straight-cut as in case of the US, it's very deep and real never the less.
So while you'd like to imagine yourself ( and your nation) as part of some mythical "one happy European family," in reality there is no such thing. You are knocking on someone else's door, but the door is shut in your face, and that explains why Bulgaria finds itself in the position that it is in.

I suspect that deep inside Russians are well-aware of all that, and that's why they only grin and show the middle finger to the rest of the world.
Right or wrong, they are the ultimate trouble-makers, and I think secretly they enjoy this reputation ( and may be not all that secretly.)

Last edited by erasure; 01-22-2020 at 02:13 PM..

Old 01-22-2020, 02:33 PM

No the whole "black slavery" is an alien concept in eastern europe since it was never part of our history so I can't think "like american" as you call it, neither is even country of origin a thing since most europeans hardly know what country they originate from (it's a big historical topic in Bulgaria as I've explained earlier...I mean about the origins of the bulgars).

I only think in the context of geopolitics and for this the EU is better than some hypothetical American-Eastern-Europe organization simply because we still live in a world where cost of transport and goods matters - I remember years ago when some brexit idiot politician was explaining how we live in an "interesting world" where you can order products from any place in the world...yet he forgot the taxes, arrival time and overall cost for some reason - a problem the eu solves.

Yes I know USSR was pretty much the same geopolitical unity as the EU but it was authoritarian and controlled by a single country, and even started with a revolution and further invasions to other countries.

Old 01-22-2020, 05:40 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,451,346 times
Nevermind.

Old 01-22-2020, 06:04 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,451,346 times
Quote:
Europe is separated through the "family tree" - that's the best way I can put it, not on the basis of "skin color." And even if this separation is not as simplistic and straight-cut as in case of the US, it's very deep and real never the less.
So while you'd like to imagine yourself ( and your nation) as part of some mythical "one happy European family," in reality there is no such thing. You are knocking on someone else's door, but the door is shut in your face, and that explains why Bulgaria finds itself in the position that it is in.

I suspect that deep inside Russians are well-aware of all that, and that's why they only grin and show the middle finger to the rest of the world.
Right or wrong, they are the ultimate trouble-makers, and I think secretly they enjoy this reputation ( and may be not all that secretly.)
I think this is pretty much how things are. It was pretty evident in my younger years in Europe in the 1980s. Currently it's the old dynamic of the city folk and the hillmen (or barbarians if you like) that has been in play in Europe since the time of Rome. Now its the older more established societies in the west and "those" people over there to the east. The barbarians!!!

It's pretty sad to hear about Bulgaria, I always liked them. Great people if somewhat complicated in nature, not arrogant like the Poles. Once in Russia I met a Bulgarian girl at a train station, she was carrying 3 flutes in cases and she played for the crowd while we waited. She was one of the best I ever heard and she was also very smart and quick witted/witty. Her english was very good, she was extremely well educated.

Old 01-23-2020, 03:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
not arrogant like the Poles.

Lol I didn't have this opinion about Poland - surely about Greece or Ukraine and Russia, Poland will be "cold" at best since they're northerners and so.

Old 01-23-2020, 03:23 AM

5,428 posts, read 3,501,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
It is very clear then, that every former post-Soviet country has been treated differently by the West in terms of the whole "economic approach."
Some got the preferential treatment, and some were basically used and thrown in the dumpster as "unwanted material."
Bulgaria is a good example of it.
When it comes to Eastern Europe, religion played a critical role in paving the way for future development. Catholic countries like Poland, Czech Republic, Hungary and Croatia received a lot of financial support from the Vatican.

Old 01-23-2020, 07:15 AM

5,786 posts, read 4,240,239 times

Post: Bulgaria has demographic problems in the last 30 years.
Answers: Russia! Russia! Russia!

Last edited by Maksim_Frolov; 01-23-2020 at 07:44 AM..

Old 01-23-2020, 07:33 AM

5,786 posts, read 4,240,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post

Because we learned this much earlier. I think that Russian poet Trofimov wrote it well and succinctly.

...Моя супруга пишет кляузу в ООН:/My wife writes a complaint to the UN:
"Мол дайте кипяточку во второй микрорайон./"Hot water is not available in a large area of the city!
Раз мы теперича единая семья - / Since we are now a single family
Знать, все доллары поровну, на то мы и родня". /All dollars are equally divided, for that we are relatives."

Фигня. Мы для них, как комар на заднице,/BH, we are for them, like a mosquito on the a*s
Миллионы голодранцев с ядерною палицей. / Millions of beggars with a nuclear mace
И к тому же с нашей Думой, чисто всенародною / In addition, our democratic government
Сколько денег не давай - нам сидеть голодными... / Steal all the money anyway
(с)2000

Old 01-23-2020, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maksim_Frolov View Post

Post: Bulgaria has demographic problems in the last 30 years.
Answers: Russia! Russia! Russia!

Good observation, looks like the world had remained stuck in 1984, not figuratively but literally.

Also "on topic" about Bulgaria: the Chernobil series! Let the discussion begins...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe