Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2016, 06:29 PM

102,259 posts, read 108,258,157 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Francois View Post
Oh but people sometimes do.
When I was driving a taxi in London a few years back, I stopped at a set of lights in Whitechapel.
A car stopped on my left and the driver tooted her horn.
I glanced to my left, and she lowered her window and called out, "Mile End?", a district some one and a half miles straight ahead.
I replied, "Stepney Green?"
She looked at me bemused, and said, "Excuse me?"
I said, "Oh sorry, I thought that it was some word association game", then drove off as the light changed.
lol. This thread is getting funny.

But seriously, people; the French are perfectly nice if you meet them halfway, like any other people. Get over the French. It's all a non-issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2016, 10:16 PM

4,491 posts, read 6,356,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryever View Post
I'm French and I find most tourists rude when they visit our country, most of the time they just ask for stuff right off the bat, they don't care if English is not your first language. I answer them because my English is good but it annoys me. If they say Bonjour, Excusez-moi, parlez-vous anglais ? and then switch to English it's fine but most don't do that. Imposing your English on French people in France is irritating and irritated people are not always kind. A lot of French people speak very bad English and many will not be bothered to speak the language of our long time enemy (who are still busy bashing our country every week or so in their newspapers) in their own country
Do French tourists that go on vacation learn the local language to such a degree that they can actually communicate with the locals or do they impose their French on foreigners?

Old 04-27-2016, 02:06 AM

671 posts, read 856,308 times
I highly recommend the Berlitz audio series. Do all three- novice, intermediate and advanced. Listen to them over and over until they are practically memorized. Practice them out loud to work on your accent. There is no need for the written version but I do recommend memorizing at least a dozen phrases for any situation that you may encounter during the trip.

Keep a good phrase book/dictionary with you. If you will have a smartphone, find an app that has audio.

I have visited and worked (very very briefly) in France so this is from my experience.

--------
On a separate note, I think that if you need to ask for directions, it is too time consuming to spend time making small talk with shopkeepers or making small talk with strangers when you need directions. The American way is not rude. It is just more efficient. I do say hello and madame, etc. because of my non-American upbringing but it is a waste of time.

When some approaches me on the street in Manhattan asking where is Carnegie Hall, I don't need for that person to call me Ma'am or to do anything besides say "thank you."

Old 04-27-2016, 02:22 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,669,941 times
Quote:
I'm French and I find most tourists rude when they visit our country, most of the time they just ask for stuff right off the bat, they don't care if English is not your first language. I answer them because my English is good but it annoys me. If they say Bonjour, Excusez-moi, parlez-vous anglais ? and then switch to English it's fine but most don't do that. Imposing your English on French people in France is irritating and irritated people are not always kind. A lot of French people speak very bad English and many will not be bothered to speak the language of our long time enemy (who are still busy bashing our country every week or so in their newspapers) in their own country
I'm an American, but I get it. Expecting people to speak your language in your own country and show some basic respect for local customs and manners is not a lot to ask for.

Old 04-27-2016, 03:47 AM

401 posts, read 651,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Hey, don't blame us for George Bush! You're aware that he stole both elections, aren't you? We didn't elect him.
I was talking about England of course, the US has never been an enemy of France.
The English LOVE bashing our country, it's like a national hobby there.
A recent article bashing a new development in Paris in the Guardian
A custard-coloured flop: the

The economist or other newspapers love to bash France every time there is an opportunity too.
Do we really want to be French? | Features | Lifestyle | The Independent
The time-bomb at the heart of Europe | The Economist

This one is American http://europe.newsweek.com/fall-france-225368?rm=eu

In the meantime in France nobody cares about England

Old 04-27-2016, 05:03 AM

27,330 posts, read 13,579,172 times
Quote:
I was talking about England of course, the US has never been an enemy of France.
The English LOVE bashing our country, it's like a national hobby there.
A recent article bashing a new development in Paris in the Guardian
A custard-coloured flop: the

The economist or other newspapers love to bash France every time there is an opportunity too.
Do we really want to be French? | Features | Lifestyle | The Independent
The time-bomb at the heart of Europe | The Economist

This one is American The Fall of France

In the meantime in France nobody cares about England
ROFL - most English people have nothing against the French, it's certain sectors of the media who try to stir things up. I actually like France and the French, and so do many other British people.

The French do however have a reputation for being a bit smug and superior in relation to culture, food, fashion etc although we just generally laugh it off.

“One cannot trust people whose cuisine is so bad,” Jacques Chirac

In terms of insults both nations have been doing it for centuries, anything disgusting or sexual in English was always referred to as French (who we sometimes refer to as the Frogs), such as kissing with your mouth open is French kissing, condoms were French Letters, Sexual Diseases were often referred to as the French disease and there are numerous other examples of Frenching and Even the V sign used as an insult relates to battles with the French.

However in our defence the French did exactly the same in regards to the English or the Les Rosbifs as we are known, and to be honest I just find the whole thing laughable.

Frenching - Idioms by The Free Dictionary

There's a fine Gallic tradition of insulting the British - Telegraph

Syphilis, sex and fear | How the French disease conquered the world | Books | The Guardian

Last edited by Brave New World; 04-27-2016 at 06:32 AM..

Old 04-27-2016, 06:02 AM

7,501 posts, read 6,311,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
Do French tourists that go on vacation learn the local language to such a degree that they can actually communicate with the locals or do they impose their French on foreigners?
I impose english instead.

Old 04-27-2016, 06:40 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,134,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
ROFL - most English people have nothing against the French, it's certain sectors of the media who try to stir things up. I actually like France and the French, and so do many other British people.

The French do however have a reputation for being a bit smug and superior in relation to culture, food, fashion etc although we just generally laugh it off.

“One cannot trust people whose cuisine is so bad,” Jacques Chirac

In terms of insults both nations have been doing it for centuries, anything disgusting or sexual in English was always referred to as French (who we sometimes refer to as the Frogs), such as kissing with your mouth open is French kissing, condoms were French Letters, Sexual Diseases were often referred to as the French disease and there are numerous other examples of Frenching and Even the V sign used as an insult relates to battles with the French.

However in our defence the French did exactly the same in regards to the English or the Les Rosbifs as we are known, and to be honest I just find the whole thing laughable.

French letter = capote anglaise

To take French leave = filer à l'anglaise

Old 04-27-2016, 07:06 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,134,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
does this Mr Paxman speak any language other than his native tongue?

If not, he should shut up. In today's world, not speaking a second language is equivalent to being illiterate.
Not all of the British are like this, but there is a certain fringe in the UK that is extremely irked by France and the French, probably because France is the main challenger to their linguistic and cultural hegemony.

This is not to say that the French don't "play ball". English has a way bigger place in France than French or any other language have in the UK.

And some of the pretentions with respect to French being an international language on par with or in the same league as English are obviously fallacious in this day and age.

But yeah, the French are seen as linguistic and cultural resistors, recalcitrants. And for this some of the British can't stand them.

Which explains the critical overkill from people like Mr. Paxman.

Old 04-27-2016, 07:08 AM

7,501 posts, read 6,311,440 times
the English = best friends / best enemies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8yjNbcKkNY

Also now that I'm in Italy I often use that ironic humor that my italian friends take some time to understand, and now they always talk about my French humor whereas I've always tried to out-english the english.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe