Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2016, 08:58 AM

27,221 posts, read 13,508,926 times

Advertisements

British Writer and Broadcaster Jeremy Paxman was recently very critical of the French Language. His criticism of the language made the British papers, although personally I have never had a problem with the French or their launguage. I have always found the French to be pleasant and polite, and was surprised by Paxman't article in the Financial Times.

Jeremy Paxman savages the French: 'The language is useless and their achievements are long past'

Jeremy Paxman attacks French as 'useless' - but French speakers fight back | People | News | The Independent

Jeremy Paxman: French is a useless language and their achievements are 'long past' | UK | News | London Evening Standard

Jeremy Paxman savages the French saying their language is 'useless' | Daily Mail Online

Last edited by Brave New World; 04-26-2016 at 09:06 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2016, 09:19 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,077,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
My French professor explained this exact question a while ago. He said while a lot of tourists find the French people rude, the French people often find those tourists rude as well. For example, he lives in old town Nice and many times a month he runs into foreign tourists asking him "hi, do you know where is XXX". And to him, a traditional Frenchman in his 50s, it is quite impolite. And if not in the right mood that day, he may refuse to answer.

I am not French but I live in a French-speaking area. It happens to be right on the border with "Anglo-Canada".

I admit that sometimes if someone is obviously being a dick I will pretend that I don't speak English. It doesn't happen very often and 98% of the time I am gracious and help people who speak English.

A little trick to help people have better experiences: when in a French-speaking place, the appropriate response when someone addresses you in French with a nice "bonjour", for example, is not "what's that???"...

Old 04-26-2016, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post

Maybe the casual Americans think it is acceptable to ask a total stranger "hi, where is XXX" on the street of Los Angeles, but for the French people, especially the old generation, that's disrespectful. It is not about you not speaking French, but about how the question was asked. In French, the polite way to say is "excuse me for bothering you, but could you tell me how to get to XXX". The phrase "excusez-moi de vous deranger" words like magic and everyone would stop to help you.

For some reason, when I read this, I pictured someone walking up to a random New Yorker, and blurting out: "Heille euh, c'est où la Statue de la Liberté?"

Which is basically the exact same thing, only with the shoe on the other foot.

Old 04-26-2016, 09:28 AM

102,233 posts, read 108,060,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBF View Post

French value a Bonjour/Bonsour before requesting or saying anything..
I didn't know this was the protocol. (They don't teach that in school. They should.) I always prefaced everything with an "Excusez moi, madame/monsieur". That seemed to work ok. This thread is stirring up a desire to dust off my French (very dusty, at this point) and get some lessons.

Old 04-26-2016, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I didn't know this was the protocol. (They don't teach that in school. They should.) I always prefaced everything with an "Excusez moi, madame/monsieur". That seemed to work ok. This thread is stirring up a desire to dust off my French (very dusty, at this point) and get some lessons.
Bonjour is what most people use but Excusez-moi works too. It's an acknowledgement of the person as opposed to just blurting out what you want right off the bat.

Sometimes it happens that I am in a rush and just blurt out what I want, and the person will respond with a pause, and then a firm but smiling "bonjour". Which is kind of a polite way of pointing out that I've committed a social impair.

Where I live we aren't as sticky about these formalities as people are in France, but they're still there and you run into them from time to time.

Old 04-26-2016, 09:46 AM

102,233 posts, read 108,060,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Bonjour is what most people use but Excusez-moi works too. It's an acknowledgement of the person as opposed to just blurting out what you want right off the bat.

Sometimes it happens that I am in a rush and just blurt out what I want, and the person will respond with a pause, and then a firm but smiling "bonjour". Which is kind of a polite way of pointing out that I've committed a social impair.

Where I live we aren't as sticky about these formalities as people are in France, but they're still there and you run into them from time to time.
Well, it's not just in France, right? It's fairly standard in the US, to say, 'Excuse me", before you ask directions of a stranger, or whatever, isn't it? One doesn't just bark one's questions or requests at people, except maybe passing in the street, to ask someone the time.

Old 04-26-2016, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Well, it's not just in France, right? It's fairly standard in the US, to say, 'Excuse me", before you ask directions of a stranger, or whatever, isn't it? One doesn't just bark one's questions or requests at people, except maybe passing in the street, to ask someone the time.
Oh, it's definitely a "best practice" in most any culture, but some cultures are more sticklers than others about such things.

Old 04-26-2016, 10:29 AM

7,501 posts, read 6,300,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
British Writer and Broadcaster Jeremy Paxman was recently very critical of the French Language. His criticism of the language made the British papers, although personally I have never had a problem with the French or their launguage. I have always found the French to be pleasant and polite, and was surprised by Paxman't article in the Financial Times.

Jeremy Paxman savages the French: 'The language is useless and their achievements are long past'

Jeremy Paxman attacks French as 'useless' - but French speakers fight back | People | News | The Independent

Jeremy Paxman: French is a useless language and their achievements are 'long past' | UK | News | London Evening Standard

Jeremy Paxman savages the French saying their language is 'useless' | Daily Mail Online
so, the French are still condescending and arrogant. Yeah, right.

Old 04-26-2016, 10:36 AM

10,647 posts, read 16,049,526 times
I refuse to speak the French language, the only French words that i use are a la, bonjour, bon appetit, boulevard, bureau, bouquet, cafe, croissant, chef, deja vu, entree, entrepreneur, merci, parkour, madame, mousse, omelette and voyeur.

Not keeping being tolerant to the intolerant, already did that enough in my life and almost each time it costed me something.

Old 04-26-2016, 10:44 AM

27,221 posts, read 13,508,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
so, the French are still condescending and arrogant. Yeah, right.
I don't think he speaks for most people in Britain and to be honest I was surprised by the article he wrote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe