Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2022, 01:17 PM

9,367 posts, read 14,309,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro123 View Post
Curious what the economic reality over there is nevertheless, for Ukraine I get it: it must be like hell. But with Russia and 40+ decline in currency, no swift and ban of transfers out of the country...especially seeing how Russia wasn't quite Dubai or Monaco before.

Maybe the government should consider free food en masse, ties with India or China or soon. Ordinary people don't deserve to starve, especially the ones who didn't vote for Putin - there is no excuse for a terrorist action from the west.
Would be interesting to know how many average Russians buy imported non-essential consumer goods on a daily basis.

The external value of the ruble won’t significantly affect the price of water, electricity and fuel, or at least it shouldn’t unless there is price gouging. I am not sure to what extent Russia is self sufficient in food and how diverse it is, especially in terms of fruits and vegetables, but imports from India, southern China, and even Brazil can help on that score. Moreover, I’m not sure to what extent western sanctions include basic foodstuffs, they appear to be more targeted against a certain class of Russians.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turist View Post
And Russia does not buy food, but is an exporter, don't forget.
Okay. But what about variety in terms of fruits and vegetables? How does that work for most Russians?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2022, 01:20 PM

5,214 posts, read 4,021,534 times
^ The whole world is having a "great time" since January but at least if you believe mass media everything is 5 times worse in Turkey and Russia. If unemployment isn't skyrocketing and there is electricity/heating (which I suspect there is given how much electricity russia produces without importing from abroad...) then it's ok. It's still very inter-connected world, a country cannot survive on its own...

Old 02-28-2022, 01:26 PM

5,786 posts, read 4,234,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
I can't believe you had the nerve to go there. Nato didn't bomb Yugoslavia in 1999, because that country broke into separate countries in 1991. By 1999 "Yuogaslavia" was Serbia and microscopic Montenegro. But surely someone as knowledgeable as you would know this?

Now share some photos that show what the Serbs/Chetniks did in Slavonia, what they did to Dubrovnik, what they did in Srebrenica, Vukovar, Dalj, etc. etc. long before 1999. The term ethnic cleansing was invented to describe what Serbians did to Croatia and then later to Bosnia. Why not post some photos of the rape camps the Serbs set up? They were the aggressors throughout the wars, and after displacing and slaughtering hundreds of thousands of people they needed to be stopped.

Or you see what you want to see. By the way - we all see who you are. Don't worry, you don't actually need to show photos of what your fine comrades did - they are all still out there for the world to see.
Do you really think that history always has a definite beginning? History is a spiral where every fact has a root cause. If you think that the Serbs have always been to blame, then check out, for example, this article:

https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Srbosjek

Violence must always be stopped. But if NATO sometimes does something without the consent of the UN Security Council, then why do you expect Russia not to do the same? Especially when it comes to the security of the country. NATO set the rules, not Russia.

Old 02-28-2022, 01:27 PM

26,787 posts, read 22,549,184 times
OK, so this is Kharkov yesterday ( oh my god... Now when I listen to it, I realize what happened..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_YdWNgeO5Q

The Nationalists are after him now, for all his Youtube videos.

This is what he is saying; "Hello my dear subscribers, I find myslef in an uneasy situation. My friends just called me, and said that on some Telegramm "Trucha" channel some people placed my videos, and commented that there is some "separatist" working here in the interests of the Russian Federation, so he needs to be "neutralized." So I won't go home tonight, in order to not to compromise my family's safety. Since those people know my address.... So I'll stay low at some friend's place, and probably not download my video this time around.. Or may be I will, I don't know yet. So yeah, the situation is uneasy, so sorry, but what kind of "separatist" am I? ( I won't translate it further, the rest of explanations, because obviously it's just a regular blogger.)

So here is his video today ( he said that for the first time the announcement regarding the changes in banks came first in Ukrainian and then in Russian. )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTpEGSk0cQk

And this is Melitopol today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDEY_lwQws4

He is saying that after yesterday's attempts of looting and maraudering, the order is returning to city.

Electricity and water are back (but no good internet connection yet) and they are talking about the creation of the local militia to keep the city protected from any attempts of vandalism.

So yes; Melitopol is under Russian control already.

And yes of course Russians are moving slower than usual, since they don't want to inflict damages as much as possible to the local population in all those Ukrainian cities.

Old 02-28-2022, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post

I'm sure at least some items are imported: cars, phones, computers, machines, clothing...sure the effect will not be immediate but in a few months or an year from now?

Old 02-28-2022, 01:30 PM

2,216 posts, read 1,022,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
Would be interesting to know how many average Russians buy imported non-essential consumer goods on a daily basis.

The external value of the ruble won’t significantly affect the price of water, electricity and fuel, or at least it shouldn’t unless there is price gouging. I am not sure to what extent Russia is self sufficient in food and how diverse it is, especially in terms of fruits and vegetables, but imports from India, southern China, and even Brazil can help on that score. Moreover, I’m not sure to what extent western sanctions include basic foodstuffs, they appear to be more targeted against a certain class of Russians.
In fact, there have been no European food products in our stores since 2014. We have established the production of everything except tropical exotics.What is imported from Europe..So, apart from alcohol, nothing at all.I remembered! A year ago I took some Italian sweets. I can't remember anything else.
Well, as well as Turkish citrus fruits, some other fruits from the south.

You will laugh, but when electricity and gas became more expensive in Europe, Europeans started buying greenhouse products from us. Moreover, wholesale and at a good price, so there were fears that it would become more expensive..
Something like that.

Old 02-28-2022, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
If you have this answer, please:
What reasoning was given by NATO in their refusal to remove these weapons on the border?.
TY

I don't know. If I'm not mistaken, NATO's response was classified and was not officially released to the media.

Old 02-28-2022, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maksim_Frolov View Post
I don't know. If I'm not mistaken, NATO's response was classified and was not officially released to the media.

In any case there is a line that shouldn't be crossed. Trying to liberate Crimea when the people there are indeed Russians and have voted with over 90% to be part of Russia is one thing - but attacking any country because you feel "nervous" about nato weapons is the most bull**** excuse in history, even Hitler didn't do it. I feel 'nervous' about Turkey, North Makedonia and Greece and so what...

Old 02-28-2022, 01:44 PM

26,787 posts, read 22,549,184 times
The latest in news...

Putin talked to Macron on the phone for 90 minutes...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V45sM5Md0Gw

.. and the negotiations between Russians and Ukrainians ARE going on after all in Gomel ( Belorussia,)

Not that Mariupol is completely surrounded and blocked by the DNR troops.

Old 02-28-2022, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro123 View Post
Well they are similar to the Nazis what can you expect, was Hitler sticking to the Ribbentrop-Molotov pact?

If you put words like "schmeisser" and "********" in the agreement it will be more readable for them lol...

With that being said Russia cannot maintain moral superiority given the cost of civilian suffering. Even if someone uses Sergey Nechayev own principle "the end justifies the means" I can't see how a death of a child will justify political freedom of small region somewhere...
This is a list of children who died in the East of Ukraine in 2015 during the "anti-terrorist operation" of Ukraine:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...A%D0%B5_03.jpg

In total, more than 100 children died in 2014-2018 in Donbass. This is just hypocrisy from your side.

I think it's better for me to go back to music, because otherwise I won't be able to resist and I'll get banned. .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe