Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2021, 08:10 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,855,314 times

Advertisements

The ramblings of a paranoid madman.

https://thehill.com/policy/internati...-tries-to-take

Oh well, nobody but himself decides who runs that country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2021, 08:17 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,300,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
The ramblings of a paranoid madman.

https://thehill.com/policy/internati...-tries-to-take

Oh well, nobody but himself decides who runs that country.

Have you actually heard what he said rather than posting the link to a 3rd tier rag such as The Hill??

Help yourself

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ClBpX5-AmA

Old 05-20-2021, 08:43 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,855,314 times
Nobody is trying to annex a part of Russia dude. He's like the crazy drunk guy outside of the bar yelling nobody wants to fight me because I will kill them!

Old 05-20-2021, 09:38 PM

26,783 posts, read 22,537,314 times
Quote:
Nobody is trying to annex a part of Russia dude. He's like the crazy drunk guy outside of the bar yelling nobody wants to fight me because I will kill them!

Except for Ukrainians.

The lunatics are going on and on about the "return of Crimea" ( and Donbass by the way.)

And Americans are singing along.

But you pretend that it ain't happening.

Yet that's precisely what Putin is addressing ( among other things.)

Old 05-20-2021, 09:57 PM

5,699 posts, read 4,924,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Except for Ukrainians.

The lunatics are going on and on about the "return of Crimea" ( and Donbass by the way.)

And Americans are singing along.

But you pretend that it ain't happening.

Yet that's precisely what Putin is addressing ( among other things.)
well to be fair and objectively speaking that is what Russia did to Ukraine. You really going to tell me that Russia would be okay if there was a Ukrainian reawakening in the Kuban and they voted to join Ukraine? Russia after all fought tooth and nail to regain control of Chechnya and the northern Caucuses.

My family is from Crimea and I think the majority wanted to join Russia, but I also can acknowledge that Ukraine has legitimate reasons to feel salty particularly post 2014 and ultimately when cooler heads prevail I think Russia should compensate Ukraine in one form or another.

Old 05-20-2021, 10:23 PM

Overall Putin is not "rambling" - he actually sounds pretty civilized and reasonable, going into the explanations of "what" and "why."
I did hear a rambling today however, coming from the other member of State Duma, someone named Alexey Zhuravlyev, after that meeting of Lavrov and Blinken. ( 45:03)

For starters, he was ticked off by the LGBT rally in Reykjavik, sending their support to their "brothers in Russia."

"What brothers are you talking about, people? Whatever your activities are, they are not implying having any "brothers" or siblings in general as the result of it. Therefore forget about it - you don't have any "brothers" in Russia or elsewhere."

And then he rumbled about the "Western partners," saying that if it were not for them and their "Minsk agreement," Alexander Zakharchenko would have already been the president of all Ukraine by now, instead of being assassinated. "So it's time to start calling everyone by their proper names."
Zhuravlev actually is kinda funny when he rumbles, ( so he does have healthy sense of humor, otherwise he would sound like a lunatic himself.)
And he said an interesting thing.

He said that enough of all these games, and that Russia probably needs to outline for the West exactly what it considers its sphere of interest, and what points/lines shouldn't be crossed/touched.

Which actually makes a lot of sense.

Because every time the West christens Russia "unpredictable," and wants to have the "predictable relations/reactions" with it ( that seems to be favorite punchline of Blinken at least lately,) I can only wonder how on earth Russia can be considered "unpredictable," when it reacts in a very steady ( and logical) manner at every hostile move that the West makes against it.

What seems to be so "unpredictable" about it?

That the West itself doesn't understand what it's doing, or it can't figure out what/where Russian nationals interests are ( sense of security first of all.)

So when Zhuravlev was saying "Let's explain it to them in very clear terms, in advance, what we consider "our turf" and "our points of interest," and what and where exactly shouldn't be touched or crossed, then the situation ( and Russian reaction) shouldn't be considered "unpredictable" any longer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V69kynyx7G4

Last edited by erasure; 05-20-2021 at 11:22 PM..

Old 05-20-2021, 10:36 PM

1,348 posts, read 624,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
well to be fair and objectively speaking that is what Russia did to Ukraine. You really going to tell me that Russia would be okay if there was a Ukrainian reawakening in the Kuban and they voted to join Ukraine? Russia after all fought tooth and nail to regain control of Chechnya and the northern Caucuses.

My family is from Crimea and I think the majority wanted to join Russia, but I also can acknowledge that Ukraine has legitimate reasons to feel salty particularly post 2014 and ultimately when cooler heads prevail I think Russia should compensate Ukraine in one form or another.
You are fundamentally wrong. Crimea, in fact, legally, never belonged to Ukraine. It was given to the Ukrainian SSR by a voluntaristic decision of Khrushchev, in violation of the Constitution of the USSR, only to get approval and support from the Ukrainian party leaders, whose influence in party was quite strong, in a political undercover struggle with his opponents. By the way, Khrushchev himself was a native of the Ukrainian party apparatus. So Russia has simply restored historical justice.

Old 05-20-2021, 10:46 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,300,229 times
Quote:

He was not talking about only formal annexation....countries nowadays can be "conquered" in a different way...

Old 05-20-2021, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post

Grega, I think that your biggest miscalculation is even not the question of Crimea per se, but that you picture in your mind "Russia" and "Ukraine" as some two equal states, and coming from this preamble, you proceed with the rest of logical conclusions of what's "fair" and what's not.

But this preamble is wrong to begin with; Russia and *Ukraine* are not the "equal states," as some would love to believe.
A big part of today's Ukraine is actually Russia, and should be considered as such.
It's unfortunate what happened in the nineties, and it's unfortunate what keeps on happening today.

Old 05-21-2021, 02:03 AM

5,699 posts, read 4,924,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Grega, I think that your biggest miscalculation is even not the question of Crimea per se, but that you picture in your mind "Russia" and "Ukraine" as some two equal states, and coming from this preamble, you proceed with the rest of logical conclusions of what's "fair" and what's not.

But this preamble is wrong to begin with; Russia and *Ukraine* are not the "equal states," as some would love to believe.
A big part of today's Ukraine is actually Russia, and should be considered as such.
It's unfortunate what happened in the nineties, and it's unfortunate what keeps on happening today.
Under international law yes they are equal, otherwise Russia doesn’t have any right to make complaints when the US over steps it’s boundaries, because by your logic US is superior to Russia and Russia should just roll over. And no, those lands no longer pertain to Russia the moment that Russia signed the Budapest Memorandum on Security Assurances. Ukraine plus Belarus and Kazakstan agreed to give up their nuclear weapons and in return the nuclear powers including Russia would provide assurances against threats or use of force against the territorial integrity or political independence of those countries. By that treaty Russia is unfortunately obliged to quash the Donbas rebellion since they are threatening the territorial integrity of Ukraine circa 1994. Russia loves to complain about how the US/NATO broke their agreements regarding NATO expansion among other things, yet Russia has no problems with breaking their own treaties when it serves their own interests.

And yes I get the whole shpeel that those were Russian lands that were gifted to Ukraine and yadayadayada, well I don’t know about you, but generally people don’t take back gifts unless the receiver no longer wants it. Just imagine how ridiculous it would be if France demanded the US to return the Statue of Liberty. There are no take backs in gift giving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe