Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2020, 08:51 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,855,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slavicious View Post
Hi guys

Newbie to the forum here

I've been living in Ukraine for many years, but now fancy a change and am likely to move to Russia once they open their borders.

I have a high income from my location indepedent business.

My biggest motivation is women, and finding a decent woman(and maybe trying a few along the way!).

I'm deciding which city to live in, i'm drawn to Moscow but then I think to myself that it's a work city and it doesn't make sense to move to such a big and stressful city if I don't need to. Moscow will probably have the best nightlife, good networking opportunities, and variety of women.

I love St Petersburg but I found the nightlife awful, and the women are the least attractive I saw in Russia. There's a huge Hipster scene there also which is off-putting.

Or I could try another major city in Russia such as Rostov on Don, Krasnodar, Ekaterinburg, Sochi. I'm likely to be more "exotic" there as a Westerner, and cost of living drops considerably in some of these cities.

Would be grateful for some advice, especially from expats in Russia
You can't go wrong with the area around Rostov, but I'm partial to the darker complexion. If I was you (and I'm glad I'm not) I would try there first. But then again, I've heard there are more military men around there in the past few years and that isn't who you want to come across on a night out at the bars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2020, 08:54 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,437,689 times
Looker009.

Example of a Russian village house. I've seen better too. My ex wifes cousins summer house was like this but prettier inside and out. This is a rental. Not a place people live.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYqTOtPvd_Y

Old 07-23-2020, 10:35 PM

4,169 posts, read 2,140,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
Looker009.

Example of a Russian village house. I've seen better too. My ex wifes cousins summer house was like this but prettier inside and out. This is a rental. Not a place people live.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYqTOtPvd_Y

Interesting, seems like a place one needs to visit to experience for a minimum of 1 time.

Old 07-24-2020, 11:02 AM

427 posts, read 245,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
Looker009.

Here's an example of one place Russia lacks in comparison to what I/we take for granted. I can go to just about any park and there are toilet facilities in some form available somewhere. Along with camping tables and rudimentary cooking facilities. In Russia they rarely have such things even in the cities. While parks are tightly controlled as we know them in Russia they're not either. In Russia there seems to be little regulation or care by the authorities. Litter can get atrocious until one of the community organizations get people together to clean things up. They're good on that, in my neck of the woods it's just the opposite.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcOCX6xOoQA&t=581s
The one thing that bugs me the most about Russia is that unless you go to the bathroom at home or there is a Lenta nearby, you're pretty much screwed. It's very, very difficult to find a toilet available for use...this is in stark comparison to the US, where almost every restaurant has toilets that patrons can use.

Old 07-24-2020, 11:37 AM

5,214 posts, read 4,018,594 times
If somehow you aren't deppressed given all the news about covids, protests and economy crashes here's my attempt to end you: "Come and see" - just watched scenes from the movie .

It's considered classic, too busy (too lazy?) to watch the whole movie but the scenes live up to their promise.

Old 07-24-2020, 04:42 PM

26,783 posts, read 22,537,314 times
Default Khabarovsk keeps on protesting or why America is not Russia

So Khabarovsk is not calming down second week in a row, and then some more.
The new appointment ( by Kremlin) of a new governor ( someone named Michail Degtyarev )
from the same party ( LDPR) as Sergey Furgal is, not only didn't pacify people of Khabarovsk, but made them even more resentful.

I am actually grateful to Wiki for Degtyarev's picture, because I finally can attach the name to one of the most atrocious faces in Zhirinovsky's surrounding ( minus Zhirinovsky himself of course.)

I mean I already saw him before, and thought that he was the epitome of Putin's Kremlin, or Soviet Kremlin, or any "party first" kind of Kremlin, with this eternal look of a "young Komsomol leader," advancing the "ideals of the Leninism-Communism-Oligarchism" and whatever "ism" is out there, as long as it advances his personal career in a process.
So this moron refused to come out and talk to the people of Khabarovsk as they requested ( after all, he hails not even from their region but Samara,)- he told that he has "more important things to do" while inspecting the region, but already gave hints through the subordinates that "he has close ties to Putin and to Sobyanian ( mayor of Moscow) who already promised to send to Khabarovsk some money ( or whatever.)
So policies of "stick and carrot," - that's what it sounds like, but people of Khabarovsk don't seem to be impressed, and keep on protesting.
Kremlin still prefers to *ignore* it, but the major mouthpiece of Kremlin, Vladimir Solovyev lately addressed it in his programs, full of fancifully packed Kremlin's propaganda.

Since I have no patience to listen to him more than for one minute, it was enough to hear what he said about the protests, summarized in one sentence "Why should the media report on some riff-raff and drunkards coming out at night time?"

Now the people of Khabarovsk would like him to come out to them, along with that new governor appointed by Putin.
But that's probably not the point.

The point is, ( which is troublesome for Kremlin) that Furgal's popularity is based in many ways on this particular episode; ( 3:49) during the fiscal meeting he asks his subordinates what happens to children from low-income families during school lunches, how much does it cost to subsidize them all completely and why it's still not done.
When he hears the estimate in response, and that "we don't have this kind of money in our budget," after few minutes of silence he asks " and if we don't have ( this relatively low) amount of money in our budget, how the heck can we afford paying the kind of salaries we are paid?"
Needless to say, his further orders/actions followed his ideas, ( along with many other things he made for the region,) and this explains why Khabarovsk is not ready to part with him that easily.

Furgal is basically saying what a lot of Russians think, that have enough of this cut-throat capitalism coming from Kremlin Inc, when those in power ( and those with "special connections*) sap all the juices from the country, and that if Kremlin even changed the Cabinet of Ministers with the purpose of making the government more palatable in this respect, it's not fooling anyone.

So I have to agree with what Navalny is saying in this video, and what is even better, is that he is distancing himself from these events, so that usual Putin's propaganda machine wouldn't be able to accuse "the West, the Liberals," and so on in organizing them.

P.S. This, of course, doesn't prevent Ukrainians commenting on Khabarovsk protests to keep on asking Russians to reconsider their actions, pointing at what happened in THEIR country, as the result of the protests.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qi8ZP3GTgEU

Old 07-24-2020, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maksim_Frolov View Post
I do not believe in UFO . Balls of fire in the sky could be traces of jet from a R-7 rockets.

For example:

http://s56.radikal.ru/i152/0905/0e/ceb0ab9ad173.jpg

Hey Maxim, apparently they in US Senate don't think that it's "traces of jet from R-7 rockets."

"Senator Marco Rubio, the Florida Republican who is the acting chairman of the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence, told a CBS affiliate in Miami this month that he was primarily concerned about reports of unidentified aircraft over American military bases — and that it was in the government’s interest to find out who was responsible.
He expressed concerns that China or Russia or some other adversary had made “some technological leap” that “allows them to conduct this sort of activity.”
Mr. Rubio said some of the unidentified aerial vehicles over U.S. bases possibly exhibited technologies not in the American arsenal. But he also noted: “Maybe there is a completely, sort of, boring explanation for it. But we need to find out.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/23/u...reid-navy.html

Old 07-24-2020, 10:04 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,855,314 times
What's their problem? They chose the wrong governor so Putin should decide for them who is best to rule over their oblast. Makes sense to me... $300 a month salary is much higher than in 1996 so what is there to complain about?

Old 07-24-2020, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
What's their problem? They chose the wrong governor so Putin should decide for them who is best to rule over their oblast. Makes sense to me... $300 a month salary is much higher than in 1996 so what is there to complain about?

DKM, as I already explained..
Once America will get busy with ITS OWN internal problems, (and won't have time ( or money) to meddle in Ukraine, Russia and so on,) - that's when Russians will sort out THEIR internal problems.
And that's what we are observing now happening, slowly, step by step.

Old 07-24-2020, 10:29 PM

P.S. BTW I was watching the video of Furgal here from the last year ( him meeting with his constituents somewhere in the boonies near Khabarovsk)
He actually reminds me of Zakharchenko from DNR - same style of interacting with people, just less smiley.
No wonder they like him over there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKF1PV-dVsk

Last edited by erasure; 07-24-2020 at 10:39 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe