Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2012, 01:32 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by russiaonline View Post
Economy of Russia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

complete range of mining and extractive industries producing coal, oil, gas, chemicals, and metals;
all forms of machine building from rolling mills to high-performance aircraft and space vehicles;
defense industries including radar, missile production, and advanced electronic components, shipbuilding;
road and rail transportation equipment;
communications equipment;
agricultural machinery, tractors, and construction equipment;
electric power generating and transmitting equipment;
medical and scientific instruments;
consumer durables, textiles, foodstuffs, handicrafts

Russia produces almost everything imaginable. Oil income is spent on industrial equipment (plus some unnecessary stuff) - that's what creates wealth, and products.

Russia doesn't have any problem creating its own equipment. Well, there's a problem of exports, without which economy of scale is not great - but with WTO membership starting in a matter of days, Russian products will soon (maybe not immediately, but in not too far away future) be able to compete fairly.

This alone may boost small business exports (which interests you the most) by 3-4 times. Plus the government has recently began subsidizing such businesses.

Worry not, the future looks very bright.
Of these, which (if any) are for export? I see light industry is still underdeveloped. I suspect "consumer durables" are also underdeveloped still.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2012, 08:55 PM

37,142 posts, read 39,394,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyKarast View Post
You flew into space with Germans! And then after(It was only after) Penkovsky sold formula liquid fuel rocket. Your fantasies have no real facts. My well documented around the world. How the energy system - Buran flew in space without having best computers than America? You know what Americans thought it impossible to manage all devices remotely from the ground? Russian scientists have proved and demonstrated by the example Lenahoda(Moon - a move). And remotely controlled NASA management possible by Russian scientists. NASA hang a lot of portraits of Russian scientists such as A L Kemurdzhian. I specifically created for you on this topic. refute a single fact presented that topic? You are ridiculous..
The guy just wants to get your goat, but he sometimes has a point. Early on there were many incredible advances, but a lot of it stalled in several sectors after a while after some earlier decades of great success.

In terms of modern day times, I am actually a bit surprised that despite Russia having a bevy of very talented and well-trained engineers, the country seems to have fairly few software or webdev companies that are unique to Russia and not based on one from the US. Then again, I'm surprised that many countries don't have this. There are a couple things I've seen in China, several things I've seen from Japan, several things from various nordic countries, several things from the UK and several things from scattered other parts of Europe but it does seem like the US is overwhelmingly powerful in this regard. In terms of space technology, I think we're all moving a bit slow and need another space race and this time with more players involved.

Old 02-07-2013, 11:03 AM

3,981 posts, read 6,736,067 times
This is some scary stuff. I had no idea that the Russian Orthodox Church had so much power today and that the modern view of democracy had become so twisted.

Russian bill looks to hide gay identity, affirm democracy of the majority - CSMonitor.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe