Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 02:35 PM

3 posts, read 13,693 times

Advertisements

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2012, 03:04 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
COOL! Is there a topic here? Does the OP have something against skateboarders?

Old 09-18-2012, 03:06 PM

3,425 posts, read 6,309,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
COOL! Is there a topic here? Does the OP have something against skateboarders?
Haha, I looked at this topic, I was like WTF? Probably some cultural reference or joke we can't understand

Old 09-18-2012, 03:11 PM

4,253 posts, read 9,453,396 times
Sort of visual "Hi!"
Maybe no knowledge of English?

FromDefaultCity - use www.translate.google.com - it will translate Russian into English.

Old 09-18-2012, 03:16 PM

Boys will be boys, OP, no matter where they are in the world. As far as hobbies go, this is a pretty innocuous one. At least they're getting exercise, and not sitting in front of a computer or playing video games all day.

Old 09-18-2012, 04:02 PM

1,725 posts, read 2,067,531 times
Maybe it's to show that Russia is not like that:

Old 09-18-2012, 05:06 PM

I suspect the OP doesn't like Americanized, or Westernized, boys (note the ).

Old 09-18-2012, 06:34 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,500,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I suspect the OP doesn't like Americanized, or Westernized, boys (note the ).
Great evidence you have there!

Old 09-18-2012, 06:38 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,500,362 times
anyway.... i have a question

whats the deal with all the dashcam youtube videos in russia just look up "russia road rage" and there are sooooooo many videos. do alot of people have dashcams because of scams, or do insurance companies really give you a discount?

i know we have a couple russian members on this site that can answer

Old 09-18-2012, 07:54 PM

61,717 posts, read 87,123,005 times
I think russiaonline nailed it right.

I will tell you something that now sounds hilarious, but years ago, when I came here I didn't found it funny at all...
Mind that I came here from (West) Germany not from Poland, but it doesn't really matter.
Anyway: short after I came here, still living in an apartment I did used the common laundry area to wash my clothes.
Places like that something trigger a casual conversation. So, there I am, waiting for the dryer to finish dry my clothes, and here comes a middle aged man who asked me few questions about the laundry ( don't remember what - maybe he asked if I have extra change, or if I know which machine will be available soon ) and we started a small talk. He said something that he just moved there because of job transfer, I don't remember where, but I DO remember that he said something about having BA or maybe even MA - and some higher level job.
He noticed my strong accent and we were talking about travel and such. He told me about his travel experiences, books etc. Actually it was a pleasant conversation and he did show a lots of common sense till we start to talk about Poland, communism and life in a communistic countries.

He asked me where I am from and I said - Poland. Then he said: welcome to our beautiful country. I hope you love it here. But tell me, do you have a hard time adjusting?
I gave him a curious look and he continued: you know... all the stores full of goodies, the electronics, the beautiful houses, cars, everything you ever dreamed of. Civilized world. Like this laundry... aren't you glad that you live here and have water and electricity delivered to your home? You can watch TV, stay in a cool place with A/C, swimming pool etc. A machine wash and dry your clothes ...

I remember being speechless for a moment and then said that yes, I am glad and very fortunate. Now I don't have to ride a donkey and wash my clothes in a river. And I was amazed when I saw an electric bulb, but I am still learning how to operate the TV. I touched my clothes and said that they are so beautiful and soft and that life in America is like a fairy tale.
Obviously I was mocking him, but he didn't noticed it and seriously continued to ask me all those odd questions about transportation, and housing. I was very close to say that in Poland, I was living in a cave and used candles...
It happen many years ago, but I will never forget this conversation.

Later on I learned that lots of seemingly intelligent people have very warped knowledge about other countries and cultures. From a conversation with many people from a different backgrounds and education, I learned that lots of them think all Africans still live in a jungle with monkeys and hunt with spears. They think that all (now former) communistic countries are third world, completely underdeveloped, poor, uneducated, corrupt, and travel there would terrify them to death. In their imagination in those countries is nothing to see, nothing to eat, people will rob them, the food will poison them (drink only bottled water!!), they will die of unknown diseases, because they would not trust doctors or hospitals. Kids are running filthy, with nothing to do just begging for food or money. People are alcoholics, lazy, depressed, suicidal, and life there is hopeless.
Even at my work, I have lots of poster and pictures from my homeland, and people will come and ask questions, and point on the pictures in awe like they didn't expect to see what they saw there.
You think I am little exaggerating? Think twice, or read some of the bizarre questions people would ask in World or Travel Forums.

So I don't wonder when people from those countries post pictures - they try to tell us: see, we have houses, cars, schools, water and electricity, TV's, and gadgets. Our countries are beautiful too, cities are clean, we have hotels and restaurants, museums, libraries and we have life.
Our kids look like your kids: they are clean, wear jeans, sneakers and play with skateboards. They are outside, have friends, they smile and are happy.
Yes, we are poorer than the top developed countries, but now the gap is getting smaller every day....
Just open your eyes and don't judge us or stereotype.

Last edited by elnina; 09-18-2012 at 08:03 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe