Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 08:37 AM

23,857 posts, read 71,392,186 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slappy san View Post
Why would he come back when you guys are piling on? I would say shame on you but you guys are worse than the OP ever was. The man is venting while trying to get adjusted. If Sweden is so great, why are you guys (some who don't even live there) so darned touchy about it. Help the man. Don't tar and feather him. smh
Americans react exactly the same way if someone dares criticizing the US.

Old 01-28-2013, 02:08 PM

655 posts, read 2,206,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSwede View Post
Let's leave the generalizing out of it. And besides, can't you be the bigger man and show the American kindness? No, instead you pile on like some bully in the streets. So again, you are no better than he is. In fact you are worse. And back to generalizing, I won't judge all Swedes by your example.

I personally would like to hear more from the guy as he gets adjusted. He may change his tune in another two weeks and continue to grow over his two years. Will we ever hear about it when he was met with such response? Maybe but I wouldn't be shocked if the answer is no. That's a shame too, I'd love to follow the continuing adventures of an American transplant. Living vicariously and all that...

Old 01-28-2013, 02:33 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,932,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrix542 View Post
Gosh you'd hate UK if you dislike Sweden so much. here everythign is even smaller than in Sweden
No it isnt!!

- there are toilets in most shops.
- toilets are free in most places.
- we have more options of fold in mcds than 5.
- more motorways.
- larger population.
- more cars.
- more airports. More everything.
- more mcflurry options than usa.

Old 01-28-2013, 09:14 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,657,433 times
In Leeds city centre, there is no such thing as a free public toilet. In fact, I'm not sure the concept exists anywhere in the entire city.

I used a public toilet once in Bournemouth, it was filthy, I haven't used one since (this was in 1999), and the only toilets other than my own that I will use are the ones at work or at a friends/relatives (this doesn't apply when drunk, but when I'm drunk I eat at McDonald's so who cares?).

Old 01-28-2013, 11:26 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,551,231 times
Has anyone considered this might be a troll?

I mean, guy's name is AMERICAN IN SWEDEN, has less than ten posts and is complaining about taxes in one of the world's most developed universal/socialized countries and not having big enough portions at an overseas franchise of a notorious monolithic US fast food chain? After only two weeks?

If you aren't a troll, shouldn't this have been stuff you knew about before arriving? It is a different country that operates on slightly different values, yes.

Old 01-28-2013, 11:34 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,404,279 times
Quote:
Liberal and left-wing Americans don't. They like hearing foreigners bash the US. In fact, they often seek it out.

I have been watching the Swedish show Wallander (not the British version with Kenneth Branaugh) and really like the show. It's the first show based in Sweden I have really ever seen. The Swedish characters are very interesting to me. I don't know if they accurately reflect Swedish people, probably not anymore the Hollywood TV shows reflect Americans. I hope Swedes have more of a sense of humor than those characters. They almost never tell a joke or smile.

Old 01-29-2013, 04:48 AM

255 posts, read 928,762 times
Quote:
Yeah, but the US is much easier to find fault with, it's such an awful deprived place. Trust me... I had lived there briefly and even Italy is all around just better.

The amount of absurd second and third world poverty in the US is absolutely disgusting. The country is disgusting. The crime rates in the US are absurdly high and you have to worry about crime everywhere, even in little towns.

I had an Italian and US citizenship, guess which one i revoked as fast as possible? I can't see anything good about that country as a highly educated person upon this manner.

Old 01-29-2013, 09:06 AM

401 posts, read 536,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FightForFreedom View Post
Yeah, but the US is much easier to find fault with, it's such an awful deprived place. Trust me... I had lived there briefly and even Italy is all around just better.

The amount of absurd second and third world poverty in the US is absolutely disgusting. The country is disgusting. The crime rates in the US are absurdly high and you have to worry about crime everywhere, even in little towns.

I had an Italian and US citizenship, guess which one i revoked as fast as possible? I can't see anything good about that country as a highly educated person upon this manner.
And you don`t have crime and poverty in Italy?

Old 01-29-2013, 09:25 AM

401 posts, read 536,418 times
The OP does have a few points, and there is no reason to put him down. Scandinavian countries are fantastic countries, the people are fantastic - nature etc - but it IS different from the US. I do understand that someone from NYC would react.

NYC is open 24/7. Scandinavia is not - and prices are high.

Scandinavia is NOT the successful social-democratic paradise some of the posters claim it to be. Anyone American is going to eventually have a hard time adjusting, unless they come over just to put their straw in the welfare system.

Take it from an American that has lived over 40 years in Scandinavia.

Old 01-30-2013, 04:08 PM

255 posts, read 928,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingen View Post
And you don`t have crime and poverty in Italy?
Compared to the US, it's less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe