Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2012, 07:09 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,381,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSwede View Post
Yes, I can.

Govindas?
örtagården

Wish I would have tried this:
Hermans Tradgardcafe- Stockholm Sweden: Vegetarian Restaurant Reviews and Ratings - HappyCow

There are Govinda's all over Europe and great in a pinch.

Old 05-26-2012, 01:31 PM

102,468 posts, read 108,961,750 times
I think if the OP is going to compare every country he visits to the US, he's not going to get much enjoyment out of life. The way to travel is to be open to the uniqueness of each place, and to be open to learning about the country and its people. Maybe it's not Sweden the OP is unhappy with, maybe he's resentful of being required to relocate outside the US by his employer. I'll bet, though, that after he learns Swedish, his impressions and the quality of his experience will change significantly.

Note to OP: Swedish and Norwegian are the easiest foreign languages for English-speakers to learn.

Old 05-26-2012, 01:48 PM

16,736 posts, read 29,748,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Note to OP: Swedish and Norwegian are the easiest foreign languages for English-speakers to learn.

Really? That's cool. How would they compare to an English-speaker learning Danish and Dutch? Are Danish and Dutch considered easy-to-learn for an English-speaker as well?

Also--I understand the Germanic language family connection between English, Norwegian, and Swedish. Do you have more details as to why they are the easiest?

Sorry for so many questions--I am just so curious/interested because I have never heard this befo'.

Old 05-26-2012, 04:13 PM

1,327 posts, read 3,197,946 times
Sö yöu dön't like meatbålls?

Old 05-27-2012, 01:36 PM

10,782 posts, read 8,754,428 times
Apologies for not attending to this sooner but I did a little cleanup and am reopening the thread with the proviso that additional posts follow this great advice from irman:

To all other posters. How about showing him/her how to get used to living and working there ? If I was in his/her position (we do not really know why and what the actual situation is, do we ?), I may have acted the same and be very disappointed, but with some well meant guidance, he/she may even get to like it !!!

Let's not be so harsh.

Old 05-27-2012, 03:56 PM

4,640 posts, read 13,982,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by American in Sweden View Post
Bläh!

I'm American born and raised in New York who moved to Stockholm, Sweden for two years due to work. I've been here two weeks and already noticed the difference.

Meal sizes are OK except that drink sizes are tiny. Using ice on drinks is rare. Large soda in Sweden is medium in the U.S., and it cost 10 :- (around $1.30 for refill). Drinking soda in Sweden is almost like drinking luxury drink in the U.S. McDonald´s only had 5-6 different meal options, while there are 13+ in the U.S.

95% of the things are much more expensive in Sweden than the U.S. Sales tax is 25% and 12% on food.

I liked their public transportation. Road signs and road system stink.

Once living here you appreciate more and more America and I cannot wait to move back!
There are certain specific things to look for in different locations that can maximize enjoyment, and excitement. The best most interesting stuff related to this can minimize and prevent negative experiences from happening.

Why would you want to have Mcdonalds and Soda and find that to be important in a location? That stuff is unhealthy, boring, and not important when there is so many better options and important things to look for.

There is plenty to enjoy about Sweden. Sweden is a progressive, ultra-modern country, with minimal corruption, and with a very high percentage of well-rounded educated people. There is a good amount of cultural events, urban amenities, and places to see for excitement in Sweden.

There are some things the USA wins in over Sweden. However, it is also equally true the other way around with Sweden having certain aspects about it that triumphs over the USA.

Sweden has less corruption than the USA for the most part. Sweden also has a better music scene per capita without having any of the low quality stuff that plagues the USA and can get in the way. Sweden has a much lower poverty rate per capita with a higher percentage of people being middle class/having high income. The USA still has plenty of middle class/high income people but at the same time 50% of the USA population actually has low income and dealing with poverty. Less than 7% of Sweden’s population deals with that. Sweden has a much lower crime rate. Sweden tends to rate higher in peacefulness. Sweden can also be a country much more easier to be content in.

I can tell that Sweden is one of 25 to 50 different countries I can enjoy visiting and living in. There are still plenty of Americans that would enjoy living in Sweden too and some may even overall prefer Sweden over the USA.

You were in Sweden for only two weeks, so you shouldn’t make too many quick assumptions for Sweden and you are just starting to get used to it. Your opinions could easily change for this, become more positive, and you can soon know what to enjoy about living in Sweden more.

Old 05-28-2012, 12:55 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,381,612 times
Default Question for Big Swede

What's with all of the old US muscle cars.
I saw V-8s everywhere.
Prime condition, lovingly cared for and driven (even with the price of gas being what it is).

Probably my biggest surprise this trip.

Old 05-28-2012, 01:08 PM

3,715 posts, read 5,293,986 times
Gosh you'd hate UK if you dislike Sweden so much. here everythign is even smaller than in Sweden

Old 05-28-2012, 01:26 PM

23,857 posts, read 71,478,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
What's with all of the old US muscle cars.
I saw V-8s everywhere.
Prime condition, lovingly cared for and driven (even with the price of gas being what it is).

Probably my biggest surprise this trip.
It's a big thing in rural provinces like Dalarna, Värmland and Norrbotten.
And it's not just the cars, it is a lifestyle for many of them, listening to 50s rock'n'roll, decorating their homes in 50s style and so on.
It has just stuck since the rock'n'roll craze first hit the country and then it has been passed on to the younger generation. There are even teenagers starting rockabilly bands now.
I am myself visiting a weekly wednesday meeting with friends a couple of times every summer.

Old 05-28-2012, 07:16 PM

102,468 posts, read 108,961,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSwede View Post
It's a big thing in rural provinces like Dalarna, Värmland and Norrbotten.
And it's not just the cars, it is a lifestyle for many of them, listening to 50s rock'n'roll, decorating their homes in 50s style and so on.
It has just stuck since the rock'n'roll craze first hit the country and then it has been passed on to the younger generation. There are even teenagers starting rockabilly bands now.
I am myself visiting a weekly wednesday meeting with friends a couple of times every summer.
This is like the Cowboys-and-Indians hobby groups.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe