Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2011, 11:11 AM

1 posts, read 4,094 times

Advertisements

I'm a belgian national and I would like to settle in Sweden for personal reasons. I would like to know if I'm eligible to live in sweden if I'm not active (I don't work), as my income is made up by real estate revenues.

If possible, I would be looking to buy a property in Stockholm in a residential neighbourhood with at least three bedrooms and 100 sqm. Would that be possible with a budget of approximately 6'500'000 Sek?

If I were to become a fiscal resident in sweden, would my revenue derived from property ownership in belgium (net worth of € 2'000'000 and a monthly net income of € 12000), and considering I'm already paying taxes on these incomes, be Taxed in Sweden? And if the answer is positive, what rates would be applicable.

Finally, would my income be enough (three persons household) to have good living standards, as some friends told me that with less than 3000 euros per month you were considered poor in sweden.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2011, 11:22 AM

1,331 posts, read 1,987,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cris90241 View Post
I'm a belgian national and I would like to settle in Sweden for personal reasons. I would like to know if I'm eligible to live in sweden if I'm not active (I don't work), as my income is made up by real estate revenues.

If possible, I would be looking to buy a property in Stockholm in a residential neighbourhood with at least three bedrooms and 100 sqm. Would that be possible with a budget of approximately 6'500'000 Sek?

If I were to become a fiscal resident in sweden, would my revenue derived from property ownership in belgium (net worth of € 2'000'000 and a monthly net income of € 12000), and considering I'm already paying taxes on these incomes, be Taxed in Sweden? And if the answer is positive, what rates would be applicable.

Finally, would my income be enough (three persons household) to have good living standards, as some friends told me that with less than 3000 euros per month you were considered poor in sweden.
I have not lived in Sweden for a few years but they will tax you to death...that is for sure. If there is 1 thing the Swedish govt is good at is increasing taxes or inventing new taxes to make you pay through the nose.

6.5 MSEK is a lot of money so you'll find something in STHLM for that. If you are a EU national (or permanent resident) you can live anywhere you choose in EU.

I don't think your income can be taxed in both locations, except for revenue from property...that will be taxed in the country where the income was generated.

But I am no expert so please check Startsida | Skatteverket [NS4 version]
Tax rates are about 35% in income up to 30k, after that you pay even more in taxes.

Old 11-22-2011, 03:50 AM

80 posts, read 146,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cris90241 View Post

1. If possible, I would be looking to buy a property in Stockholm in a residential neighbourhood with at least three bedrooms and 100 sqm. Would that be possible with a budget of approximately 6'500'000 Sek?

2. If I were to become a fiscal resident in sweden, would my revenue derived from property ownership in belgium (net worth of € 2'000'000 and a monthly net income of € 12000), and considering I'm already paying taxes on these incomes, be Taxed in Sweden? And if the answer is positive, what rates would be applicable.

3. Finally, would my income be enough (three persons household) to have good living standards, as some friends told me that with less than 3000 euros per month you were considered poor in sweden.
Answer to 1 - definitely yes! If you mean within the city core proper (within the tolls), then 6.5M should get you pretty much exactly that. Prices are heading down right now too.

Answer to 2 - Depends on the tax agreements between Belgium and Sweden. If there is no such agreement then you have to pay full tax on the already taxed income (doh!). If there is such an agreement then you might even be fully exempt from any other tax than what is already paid in Belgium. I suggest you call Skatteverket and ask, +46 8 564 851 60.

Answer to 3 - 3000 euros/month should be more than enough.

Sweden and Belgium are both schengen states; which makes me think migration rules are quite lax in all. As long as you are able to support yourself not sure why being "inactive" would be a problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe