Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Scandinavian country is overall better?
Denmark 44 28.95%
Norway 48 31.58%
Sweden 60 39.47%
Voters: 152. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 06:21 AM

6,478 posts, read 8,253,636 times

Advertisements

There must be tons of good restaurants in the Stockholm area. I am not the fond of food chains but I guess many Americans love them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2011, 09:13 AM

6 posts, read 11,042 times
I visited Germany and went to Sweden in August for a week to visit my friend who lives in Norkaping (not sure of spelling).

Comming from Southern Canada, summer felt very chilly in both countries, especially in Sweden.
We had to wear jacket and long sleeve shirt. My friend also said they only have few weeks of real summer. I wouldn't live in either place because I want real summer.

Sweden in general.... ahh kind of boring I expected something else

Old 10-19-2011, 09:34 AM

6,478 posts, read 8,253,636 times
I visited San Francisco in mid-August 2011. Quite sunny but also windy and foggy. In general, I feel warmer in Oslo (in August).

Old 10-19-2011, 01:25 PM

23,857 posts, read 71,470,233 times
Stockholm is on the same latitude as southern Alaska. I don´ t think you should expect tropical heat here, or whatever it is you are looking for.

Old 10-19-2011, 01:37 PM

614 posts, read 3,225,379 times
Sweden.

Old 10-19-2011, 02:50 PM

328 posts, read 1,005,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francais_Femme View Post
I visited Germany and went to Sweden in August for a week to visit my friend who lives in Norkaping (not sure of spelling).

Comming from Southern Canada, summer felt very chilly in both countries, especially in Sweden.
We had to wear jacket and long sleeve shirt. My friend also said they only have few weeks of real summer. I wouldn't live in either place because I want real summer.

Sweden in general.... ahh kind of boring I expected something else

On the other hand though winters aren't as cold in southern sweden as they are in southern Canada or northern United States.

Old 10-20-2011, 07:34 AM

183 posts, read 602,946 times
Sweden's cooler (in style, music), but fairly remote, especially its biggest city.

Denmark's more laid back and closer to continental Europe, but their language is notoriously difficult to speak and understand. Known for being a bit less tolerant of outsiders.

Norway is remote, expensive, weather is quite rough in most cities except Oslo, not a leader in most industries (its wealth comes from the North Sea), but language is easier than Danish, free university for non-EU foreigners, strong safety net, high HDI, high employment, low unemployment, etc.

Old 10-20-2011, 09:29 AM

136 posts, read 583,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gosling View Post
On the other hand though winters aren't as cold in southern sweden as they are in southern Canada or northern United States.
I'll rather take slightly colder and more snow with much more daylight and sunshine than any cold, damp and cloudy winters in Scandinavia.

Southern Sweden do get lots of snow as well, and it's still cold. Don't you wear winter jacket as they do i Northern US and Southern Canada? YES, so it does not really matter how cold temperatures all, it's still same clothing. What does matter is amount of daylight and sunshine.

Last year it snowed all month of November and December in Southern Sweden, while first snow in Southern Quebec was middle of December!

Old 10-20-2011, 09:32 AM

136 posts, read 583,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post
I visited San Francisco in mid-August 2011. Quite sunny but also windy and foggy. In general, I feel warmer in Oslo (in August).
Maybe in the city itself it could feel somewhat cool, but if you go few miles further inland it gets much hotter. You don't have that in Oslo
Overall summer weather is similar in city of SF and Oslo, but SF is sunny and dry while Oslo gets lots of rain and cloudy skies!

Old 10-20-2011, 12:55 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,713,077 times
Stockholm has 19 hours of daylight in summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe