Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Scandinavian country is overall better?
Denmark 44 28.95%
Norway 48 31.58%
Sweden 60 39.47%
Voters: 152. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 02:21 AM

7,639 posts, read 18,162,980 times

Advertisements

Why does "nightlife" always come up on these polls?

As for friendliness, I've met some people from those countries while traveling and they were all nice. However, I've heard that in their own countries they are very reserved and standoffish - even by European standards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2011, 02:35 AM

1,801 posts, read 3,560,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post

As for friendliness, I've met some people from those countries while traveling and they were all nice. However, I've heard that in their own countries they are very reserved and standoffish - even by European standards.
they are reserved but I wouldn't call them unfriendly. I've always found Nordic people to be polite and helpful (two traits I value a lot) and, if you take time to know them, actually very warm They're not Texas-friendly; more like Minnesota-friendly. Not an 100% accurate parallelism I suppose lol.

Old 10-08-2011, 04:30 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,894,641 times
I find a lot of differences between the Danish on the one hand and the other Scandinavians on the other hand : in short, I find Danish people in general much warmer, the other Scandinavians albeit also nice, more standoffish. Among the other Scandinavians, the Danish are even considered as a southern, warm populace.

Old 10-08-2011, 08:00 AM

23,857 posts, read 71,386,256 times
You should try to learn to know someone from northern Sweden.....

Old 10-09-2011, 12:20 AM

599 posts, read 5,732,729 times
Or from the Swedish west coast

Old 10-09-2011, 03:25 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,894,641 times
Agreed , I didn't meet many Swedish people; an Indian-born (former) school friend of mine is married to a Swedish guy and lives in Stockolm, but she had a strange reaction when I asked her if Sweden has problems with Muslim immigrants (she is a Protestant ) she abruptly ended my FB account.
Weird reaction.

Old 10-09-2011, 11:37 AM

599 posts, read 5,732,729 times
Hooray for stereotypes!

From: Sweden Denmark and Norway - Scandinavia and the World

"Sweden is seen as the most advanced country in terms of technology. In Norway they’re seen as snobs and arrogant, and in Denmark they’re seen as people who are very concerned with order, but loose all self-control when they come to Denmark to drink the cheep beer. For some reason Swedes see themselves as cleaner than the other two.

Denmark is seen, both by themselves and the others, as the most laid back country. Sweden see Danes as lazy and without self-control ever, and in Norway they’re seen as people who pursuit a comfortable life.

Norway is seen as the country that is most in touch with it’s beautiful nature. The Swedes see them as unhygienic fish-eaters, and the Danes see them as calm and easy going people.

Of the three countries, Denmark and Norway has the best relationship. Obviously.
But deep down we all see each others as friends. "

Old 10-09-2011, 12:13 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,496,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post

Well, I guess it's important to younger people, or those who like to go out and have a good time. I live in Houston, Texas and the nightlife here is not great at all. Our nightlife sucks. So I can see why the question people ask about it. Some cities are just "work cities" and some are "party cities". I've been to smaller cities where you would always find a bunch of people out at the bars 7 days a week. Here, it's mainly Friday and Saturday.. it's dead the rest of the week.

But what really bugs me is the question about "Friendliness". It's impossible to answer unless you have spent a lot of time in that country. And I'm talking about at least several months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSwede View Post
Norway not being a member in the EU is a positive thing.
They have my respect for that.
I think people complain too much about the E.U. She E.U. has been a great institution for European countries. Barely anybody has enough knowledge ( such as an economist ) to see the benefits of the E.U. , or barely anybody ever thinks about it. As I've said many times, it's important to bundle your powers and advantages.

Last edited by Glucorious; 10-09-2011 at 12:37 PM.. Reason: Tweaking it a little

Old 10-09-2011, 12:26 PM

85 posts, read 214,786 times
Languages: All those countries understand/speak english excellent. The later is no surprise as they belong to the best non-native english speaking countries in the world along with the netherlands.
Friendliness: The Danes are more Friendly, or at least they show it more.
Location: Denmark definitely, because you are way closer to other continental european countries hence easier to travel around
Lifestyle: They all have pretty much good lifestyle. I'd go with Denmark though. Because they are more laid back than their other neighbours. I'd say Denmark is a halfway in every sense between the Netherlands and Norway/Sweden.
Climate diversity: Probably norway and then sweden.
Nightlife: They all have nice nightlife, but I've heard norway is not as good as compared to sweden and Denmark.
Tourist attractions: They all have tons of tourist attractions, but as sweden is bigger country I'd give it to them.
Economic diversity: Sweden is a biggest economy market but norway has the most solid , rich economy of whole europe.
Cultural contribution: They all have large story but probably due to the fact of population Sweden have had more cultural contribution in moder times.
Urban living: All have great urban development but I prefer Denmark because of the way to move on and eastier to bike because of landscape and less snow/cold weather compared to norway and sweden.
History: They all have good/rich history.
Architecture:There are many similarities in architecture I think, specially cities like stockholm, copenhagen and oslo. Some cities in western norway are quite distinctive though.
Transportation: I'd prefer denmark not because it has better transport system than norway or sweden but because moving around in denmark is easier, Its quite flat country and u are able to go anywhere just with a bike.
Education: They all have excelent education, among best in the world.
Natural scenery: Norway, fjords, nuff said.

Which country is better to visit? Norway, has the best scenary, and althought expensive , definitely worth it.

Which country would you choose to live in & why? Denmark, Is closer to rest of europe, people are more friendly imo and they also have more cool behavior. I also love the fact there are so many people in bycicles and is handy to move one (because of flatness) which make it similar to the netherlands.

Old 10-09-2011, 12:39 PM

85 posts, read 214,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
I find a lot of differences between the Danish on the one hand and the other Scandinavians on the other hand : in short, I find Danish people in general much warmer, the other Scandinavians albeit also nice, more standoffish. Among the other Scandinavians, the Danish are even considered as a southern, warm populace.

As I have said many times, despite currect political and regional union between the scandinavian countries, Denmark has far more in common in every sense with the Netherlands than they do with other scandinavian nations (with the exception of language). The Danes see the other scandinavian countries as their cousins (because of historical facts) but they have an unknown real cousin which is the netherlands, in every sense, from people behaviors, to culture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe