Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2017, 07:38 PM

65 posts, read 61,477 times

Advertisements

I'm reading here that the grass seed farmers use pesticides on their fields. Is it sprayed or watered in? Does it effect the wells in some areas more than others? Does anyone know which pesticides are commonly used?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2017, 08:08 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,707,782 times
Chlorpyrifos is commonly used; I think they spray it on. Diazinon, Metaldehyde too. Various fungicides.

The grass seed farmers claim they have to use more of it these days, but I recall some charts from coursework at Oregon State that had their usage higher than anything else. They just liked being able to burn the fields because it was cheap. There was also a fungal pathogen that field burning killed that would render the grass seed unable to germinate, but researchers at Oregon State have since developed a variety of perennial ryegrass that's resistant to this.

I can't tell you a thing about whether it affects some wells more than others.

Old 08-07-2017, 08:13 PM

Thank you Metlakatla. I have a semi-chemist friend that I'll run those by. I had a good deal of dioxin exposure years ago and am sensitive to chlorine and it's relatives. Which direction does the wind generally blow from in the W. valley? North or west?

And does anyone know when they spray, generally and how often?

Old 08-08-2017, 07:24 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,357,219 times
These folks should be able to answer your questions/concerns: Lane County Extension Service.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 08-08-2017, 07:54 AM

32,635 posts, read 48,005,355 times
If you are near any sort of agriculture, growing just about any variety of plant, there is going to be pesticide spraying. If you are in town, there is a possibility of a pesticide spraying program by the city government to try to control mosquitoes and a fairly good chance you will have a neighbor who uses pesticides.

As for the water table, contact the Water Master in whatever county you are considering and ask him about the quality of the well water. He's the one in charge of irrigation water and that includes well water.

Old 08-09-2017, 02:14 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,676,974 times
Auxin based weed killers (2,4-D and related) are common on cereal crops. They are not heavily regulated because animals don't share any metabolic pathways with the herbicide, which is not water soluble anyway. The big problem is with airborne drift. Apply the spray before a sunny day and it can evaporate and move laterally, killing broadleaf crops. Grapes are particularly susceptible.

Glyphosate (Roundup) is heavily used to prepare no-till soils and for weed control. Fortunately, it binds tightly to any clay particle it encounters, and the soil in the south valley has a very high clay content. If you drink the stuff, the antidote is Kaopectate, which is a kaolin clay and pectin solution. You won't find it in well water.

Triclopyr (Garlon, Weed-B-Gon, Brush-B-Gon) is used for brush control on timber land. Machine application within 100' of a watercourse or hand application with 25' of a watercourse is illegal because it is slightly toxic to ducks. Commercial applicators are pretty responsible, but if you see some homeowner who wants to plant grass right up to a creek or pond, they are doing it by poisoning the water.

You are more likely to end up with fertilizer in your well than a pesticide. There are many pesticides used by farmers, but they generally require an applicators license and can be very expensive. Farmers don't over-apply, because it can cost them a lot of money.

If you really want the facts, you have to send your water to a testing lab. A complete pesticide, organic, mineral and bacterial panel is not cheap, and there is no guarantee the results won't change depending on the time of year.

Old 08-09-2017, 06:11 PM

Default Thanks Larry & question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Auxin based weed killers (2,4-D and related) are common on cereal crops. They are not heavily regulated because animals don't share any metabolic pathways with the herbicide, which is not water soluble anyway. The big problem is with airborne drift. Apply the spray before a sunny day and it can evaporate and move laterally, killing broadleaf crops. Grapes are particularly susceptible.

Glyphosate (Roundup) is heavily used to prepare no-till soils and for weed control. Fortunately, it binds tightly to any clay particle it encounters, and the soil in the south valley has a very high clay content. If you drink the stuff, the antidote is Kaopectate, which is a kaolin clay and pectin solution. You won't find it in well water.

Triclopyr (Garlon, Weed-B-Gon, Brush-B-Gon) is used for brush control on timber land. Machine application within 100' of a watercourse or hand application with 25' of a watercourse is illegal because it is slightly toxic to ducks. Commercial applicators are pretty responsible, but if you see some homeowner who wants to plant grass right up to a creek or pond, they are doing it by poisoning the water.

You are more likely to end up with fertilizer in your well than a pesticide. There are many pesticides used by farmers, but they generally require an applicators license and can be very expensive. Farmers don't over-apply, because it can cost them a lot of money.

If you really want the facts, you have to send your water to a testing lab. A complete pesticide, organic, mineral and bacterial panel is not cheap, and there is no guarantee the results won't change depending on the time of year.

Thank you Larry. I had time to read a report on a clean up site in Turner (I think it was Turner- south east of Salem). They found clean water in the well without the chems that were spilled there.

Evidently, at least in that location, there is a shallow aquifer that's not so clean, then layers down is a cement like layer of soil that is relatively impermeable, then another aquifer at between 300 and 400 feet deep that is clean.

Do you know if that cement like layer is common throughout the valley?

Prices are high, so I'm only half heartedly looking for something to buy right now. If I do find something I'll try and talk to a well guy or 2 in the area as well. I'm looking at fixers so if I do find something it may come with a shallow well...
The big problem is with airborne drift. Apply the spray before a sunny day and it can evaporate and move laterally, killing broadleaf crops.
That's my biggest worry too at this point.

Old 08-09-2017, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Chlorpyrifos is commonly used; I think they spray it on. Diazinon, Metaldehyde too. Various fungicides.

The grass seed farmers claim they have to use more of it these days, but I recall some charts from coursework at Oregon State that had their usage higher than anything else. They just liked being able to burn the fields because it was cheap. There was also a fungal pathogen that field burning killed that would render the grass seed unable to germinate, but researchers at Oregon State have since developed a variety of perennial ryegrass that's resistant to this.

I can't tell you a thing about whether it affects some wells more than others.

I talked to my friend and Chlorpyrifos is something I'd definitely have a problem with. He didn't have time to discuss the others. Which way does the wind usually blow in the valley? Or does it vary a great deal?

Old 08-11-2017, 10:32 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,676,974 times
During the spring and summer growing season, the wind is from the south, southwest, west, or northwest. Rarely is it from the east, because the Cascades are in the way.

Old 08-11-2017, 11:19 PM

Thank you Larry, that is very helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
View detailed profiles of: