Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 06:33 PM

21 posts, read 35,569 times

Advertisements

Ok, so we decided on renting a home and I keep seeing mention of regular pest spraying. I have two young boys & have concerns about them being exposed. I know when we put down grub treatment on the grass you don't want to have the kids near the treated area for a while. I'm not a big fan of chemicals in general so was wondering how often does this need to be done and if there is a company that uses a more ecofriendly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2013, 06:46 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,544,472 times
Bulwark is pretty conservative and leans toward more environmentally friendly chemicals and we are happy with them. However, there are at least a couple of companies who offer 'ultra-friendly' treatments. Check out Chem-Free and Real Green.

Old 02-27-2013, 06:55 PM

3,176 posts, read 6,214,400 times
We use Bulwark and we like them a lot. Great customer service. They've always said everything they use is even safe for our dog. Good thing because once he ate the stuff they pour all over a giant ant hill (not fire ants) and we freaked but he was perfectly fine, even with his delicate stomach... although we did called in a panic and they assured us it was not animal/human toxic.

Old 02-27-2013, 07:09 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,162,494 times
I have lived in the Austin area for well over twenty years and have NEVER had "regular" pest treatment in my two different homes. I treat fire ant mounds as needed myself. And I have treated some parts of the lawn for grubs a few times. Occasionally ants, etc. - all done with my own sprayer. Hired a pest control guy just a few times and refused to sign up for regular treatment. The fewer chemicals the better.

Old 02-27-2013, 08:02 PM

481 posts, read 2,416,280 times
Agree with hofffdano. I moved here 7 years ago and thought people were crazy having a pest control company spray the inside and outside of their homes "just in case."

For the outside, the only thing I have done in 7 years is spot treat fire ant mounds. I have never treated the inside of my home. I get a couple spiders a year and a couple silverfish. Silverfish have a low reproduction rate so every one you kill does make a difference.

Old 02-27-2013, 08:25 PM

3,176 posts, read 6,214,400 times
I think it depends on where you live and there's not a lot of rhyme or reason to it (other than the snakes further out). We lived in a 25 year old home that was not in very good condition at all for a year and had hardly any issues with bugs inside the house. We now live in a 15 year old ranch which was meticulously cared for by the original owners and we had ants in all bathrooms and secondary bedrooms and A LOT of them. We are in NW Austin on lot with 60 live oaks. And our bug tolerance is high. Even took a pic of the furry tarantula creeping across our driveway the first night we moved in.

Old 02-27-2013, 08:52 PM

912 posts, read 1,285,260 times
We get the outside of our house sprayed every other month to keep bugs out. We could probably go quarterly or less, but when we moved in we had a huge tree roach population... in our front tree (Who would have thought), and they'd break in on occasion. They freak me out! The house next door was also vacant for a long time, which didn't help due to the owner only rarely sending someone to do landscaping. We haven't sprayed inside in years - haven't needed to.

As others have said, it's a wait and see kind of thing. Once you move in you'll be able to tell what you need in the way of pest control.

Old 02-28-2013, 07:22 AM

15,268 posts, read 35,622,212 times
It depends on your sensitivity to bugs, as well. They are normal, and just because you see one every now and again in your house, you really don't need to do anything about it (other than maybe throw them out...).

Old 03-01-2013, 10:08 AM

737 posts, read 1,582,188 times
Get a few scorpions in your house and you'll see why we get our house sprayed often.

Old 03-01-2013, 12:15 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,544,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janejanejanejanejane View Post
Get a few scorpions in your house and you'll see why we get our house sprayed often.
STEP on one in the middle of the night and you'll put that bug company on speed dial!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin