Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 06:46 PM

59 posts, read 218,737 times

Advertisements

Hi, we are new to Austin and will be moving into a new home in a couple of weeks. We lived in apartments while the house was being built and I know the apartments are routinely sprayed with pesticides to prevent infestation. We have never had a bug problem in this apartment even though it is an older complex. Now that we will be moving into our own home we were wondering typically how often does someone have to have someone come out to spray as a preventive rather than after infestation?

We are planning on speaking to some pesticide companies but sometimes they tell you spraying is needed more to get the business. So, generally how often does anyone have their single family home sprayed for bugs to prevent an infestation? We will be living in somewhat of a natural hill county terrain.

Also, what average cost for this should we expect to know if someone is giving us a fair price?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2011, 07:08 PM

587 posts, read 1,420,200 times
I am also curious to hear the answer to this question as we are moving there in just over 2 weeks and would like to get this scheduled as soon as possible.

In Phoenix, we paid $25/mo for once a month service. Here in Minnesota, we pay about $40/mo but they only come out quarterly. They say it's all that's needed, but we had LESS bugs in Phoenix than we do in Minnesota, so I'm thinking I would prefer monthly, but I have no idea how it's done in Austin.

Old 06-05-2011, 10:41 PM

252 posts, read 718,807 times
I don't think most people spray here.. we never have and don't have a bug problem. Just a couple spiders but they're the good guys. What bugs do you think would be a problem?

Old 06-05-2011, 10:45 PM

291 posts, read 800,618 times
I've never sprayed or had pesticide service for the 25 years I've lived here. If I did have an issue, I certainly would use Aztec or Chem Free - both use organic products. I think the chemicals most non-organic companies use are much more dangerous than the bugs they aim to kill

Old 06-05-2011, 10:57 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,888,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowdysMom View Post
I've never sprayed or had pesticide service for the 25 years I've lived here. If I did have an issue, I certainly would use Aztec or Chem Free - both use organic products. I think the chemicals most non-organic companies use are much more dangerous than the bugs they aim to kill
Actually that's false. The chemicals that the "organic" chemical companies use are the exact same as the other companies. Insects are killed by everyday products such as boric acid, which is used as an antiseptic, an eye wash, and a powder used for jock itch, athlete's foot, and yeast infections by humans but it is damaging to the exoskeleton of insects such desired as treatment to kill them. Boric acid is used by Terminix, ABC, Aztec, Chem Free, any company really.

Old 06-05-2011, 11:10 PM

2,269 posts, read 7,333,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cckhek View Post
Hi, we are new to Austin and will be moving into a new home in a couple of weeks. We lived in apartments while the house was being built and I know the apartments are routinely sprayed with pesticides to prevent infestation. We have never had a bug problem in this apartment even though it is an older complex. Now that we will be moving into our own home we were wondering typically how often does someone have to have someone come out to spray as a preventive rather than after infestation?

We are planning on speaking to some pesticide companies but sometimes they tell you spraying is needed more to get the business. So, generally how often does anyone have their single family home sprayed for bugs to prevent an infestation? We will be living in somewhat of a natural hill county terrain.

Also, what average cost for this should we expect to know if someone is giving us a fair price?

Thanks!
Please wait and see what happens when you move in. I have lived in Austin for over six years and have never had any type of bug spraying. The bugs here are not bad at all, especially if you moved here from a place like Florida. Honestly, if you can live with the bugs and not go the whole "kill everything" route, you'll do much better. If you keep it natural you tend to keep it in touch with nature. Way better than killing everything that moves.

Old 06-05-2011, 11:48 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,550,348 times
Well, I guess I'll be the bad guy here. We have used Bulwark since we moved in three years ago. The initial treatment included installing mesh in all weep holes and checking for any other 'openings' that would allow critters access to the interior of the house. They spray quarterly but will come any time there is a problem. IIRC, the quarterly treatment is ~$70, call-backs are at no charge. They don't enter the house unless it is requested and have always 'looked out' for our little dog, making sure she was inside while they worked and being sure we knew when it was OK for her to roam the yard. I'm not anti-critter per se; but I don't mind if the scorpions are stopped at the door.

We have ~30 homes on our street and I believe Bulwark treats at least a dozen of them.

Old 06-06-2011, 05:59 AM

587 posts, read 1,420,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
Well, I guess I'll be the bad guy here. We have used Bulwark since we moved in three years ago. The initial treatment included installing mesh in all weep holes and checking for any other 'openings' that would allow critters access to the interior of the house. They spray quarterly but will come any time there is a problem. IIRC, the quarterly treatment is ~$70, call-backs are at no charge. They don't enter the house unless it is requested and have always 'looked out' for our little dog, making sure she was inside while they worked and being sure we knew when it was OK for her to roam the yard. I'm not anti-critter per se; but I don't mind if the scorpions are stopped at the door.

We have ~30 homes on our street and I believe Bulwark treats at least a dozen of them.
Thank you for the recommendation. I am going to be the bad guy (well, girl ) right along with you and will check out Bulwark.

We treated mostly for spiders in Phoenix, not only because I'd like to keep the poisonous ones out, but also because they're scorpion food - where there is no food, there are no scorpions.

Old 06-06-2011, 06:06 AM

2,596 posts, read 5,581,958 times
We do it quarterly. Part of how much of an issue you will have depends on where exactly you live. My friends live west of town (in the Hill Country) and they get scorpions all the time. My parents live in another area and get lots of spiders and roaches, some scorpions. I live in another area entirely and get lots of roaches, but have never seen a scorpion in our house and only rarely a spider (knock on wood.)

If you don't spray, you should expect to see some critters, especially if the house is a little older. That doesn't bother everyone. If you do spray, you'll still see some critters, just not so many.

Old 06-06-2011, 09:08 AM

554 posts, read 1,746,129 times
We spray indoors only as needed then its most just spot treatment around doors or windows or under stove or fridge. Ants and the occasional scorpion are usually the problem indoors and wasps and ants outdoors. I typically spray outdoors quarterly on porches, steps, and around windows and doors. I use the Ortho home defense max in a jug with sprayer and it lasts about 2 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: