Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Electric Vehicles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2024, 06:48 AM

35,002 posts, read 16,964,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
It seems like you didn't actually follow what was being said--the discussion was about issues with EVs charging in colder weather and it was in comparison to the extremes within Scandinavia where there is high elevation and it goes above the Arctic Circle. Those areas have far greater EV adoption rates than what you're referencing and do not have the kind of charging issues being discussed here. Those places east of the Mississippi in the US also does NOT get more extreme winters than the coldest parts of Scandinavia do.

I have no idea what your lockdown mode is supposed to be in reference to, but it doesn't seem like you follow threads very well so I guess this is fine. I'm sure it's all very confusing for you.
In Scandinavia in those areas the driving range is very short. Most of Norway and Sweden lives near Oslo and Stockholm which are milder climes. Hammerfest does not have much winter driving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2024, 06:58 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
In Scandinavia in those areas the driving range is very short. Most of Norway and Sweden lives near Oslo and Stockholm which are milder climes. Hammerfest does not have much winter driving.
Sure, Scandinavia has parts where there are more moderate climates where more people live, but so does the US east of the Mississippi River, so that's broadly applicable. Remember, your list was "New York north of Albany, most of Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine, the Berkshires, northern Michigan, Wisconsin and Minnesota" which is generally not where the bulk of the US east of the Mississippi River has its population. I'll also note that most of Wisconsin's population is in the somewhat milder southeastern part of the state as is that of Minnesota, and most of Maine's population is near the southernmost part of the coastline. Obviously, having more of the population clumped in parts of less harsh winters is not a particularly Scandinavian trait. You do bring up a good point though that the mildest parts of Scandinavia are generally colder than much of the US east of the Mississippi.

There is some broad variation in the average number of miles driven per year among US states as there are for different regions within Scandinavia, but I wouldn't be surprised if for the area of the US east of Mississippi versus Scandinavia (including Norway, Sweden, Denmark, and Finland), the US east of the Mississippi's average is higher than that of Scandinavia.

Regardless, this pivot towards higher average number of miles is interesting, but the discussion was about cold weather and its effects on charging. I think it's pretty clear given what we've seen in Scandinavia so far that cold weather itself isn't the issue as charging can work out just fine in the kind of cold weather Scandinavia and the colder parts of the contiguous US (and Hawaii, plus the Alaskan panhandle) gets.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 01-23-2024 at 07:56 AM..

Old 01-23-2024, 07:17 AM

369 posts, read 104,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
We can generally ignore most of Alaska and Northern Canada in regards to electrification and EVs for a good long while before we hit market saturation in the rest of the US and Canada. I think the Alaskan panhandle will probably see relatively rapid adoption, but probably not the rest for a good while.
Interestingly enough, the Alaskan panhandle doesn't have much in the way of public charging like the body of Alaska and the Yukon...
Attached Thumbnails
It's still early days for EVs-plugshareak2.jpg  

Old 01-23-2024, 07:57 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by H8PJs View Post
Interestingly enough, the Alaskan panhandle doesn't have much in the way of public charging like the body of Alaska and the Yukon...
Yea, I reckon some part of that has to do with its quite small overall population and current low rate of EV market share. In terms of climate, the panhandle's winters are closer to that of more moderate parts of Scandinavia.

Old 01-23-2024, 01:30 PM

21,836 posts, read 25,102,289 times
Quote:
It's kind of interesting that there's charges at all in AK. The only two ways I'd manage to make it would be by boat or flatbed, at least going off Plugshare. I see some stuff about a Bolt making it. Big ol' 500 mile stretch to get across with no chargers though. RV parks maybe, if there's a route with enough of those. If they're well placed only spending 2-3 nights at RV parks in your Bolt.

https://alaskalandmine.com/landmines...ng-a-pandemic/

Found a write up. Interesting read, RV parks, adapters to convert two 30 amp to make one 50 amp charger so it doesn't take three days to charge. I think I'll stick to the flatbed or the boat myself.

Old 01-23-2024, 02:34 PM

369 posts, read 104,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
It's kind of interesting that there's charges at all in AK. The only two ways I'd manage to make it would be by boat or flatbed, at least going off Plugshare. I see some stuff about a Bolt making it. Big ol' 500 mile stretch to get across with no chargers though. RV parks maybe, if there's a route with enough of those. If they're well placed only spending 2-3 nights at RV parks in your Bolt.

https://alaskalandmine.com/landmines...ng-a-pandemic/

Found a write up. Interesting read, RV parks, adapters to convert two 30 amp to make one 50 amp charger so it doesn't take three days to charge. I think I'll stick to the flatbed or the boat myself.

I know a number of Bolt owners in Anchorage. Drove up from the Seattle area.
Attached Thumbnails
It's still early days for EVs-alaska-bolt.jpg   It's still early days for EVs-alaska-bolt2.jpg  

Old 01-23-2024, 02:47 PM

12,379 posts, read 9,473,336 times
TFL did a series of videos last year where they drove a F-150 Lightning all the way up to Prudhoe Bay! There were some Flo chargers along the way, but those mostly petered out north of Fairbanks as I recall. They got creative and used some 240V plugs from campgrounds and someone's dryer plug at one point - they carried many adapters and were good at plug diplomacy. But they made it :-)

Old 01-23-2024, 03:15 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
TFL did a series of videos last year where they drove a F-150 Lightning all the way up to Prudhoe Bay! There were some Flo chargers along the way, but those mostly petered out north of Fairbanks as I recall. They got creative and used some 240V plugs from campgrounds and someone's dryer plug at one point - they carried many adapters and were good at plug diplomacy. But they made it :-)
That's the Arctic Road Rally. The local power companies placed generators and charging stations along the way to allow for charging. The rally was a show about something that could normally happen if there were charging stations along the way from Fairbanks to Oliktok Point. During the summer Europeans driving motorhomes and motorcycles drive The Dalton Highway from Fairbanks to Prudhoe Bay. But driving EV's on that road may take a very long time to become a reality. The dalton Highway is not paved all the way, and routed over grounds that have permafrost. The adventurous types drive the Dalton Highway during the summer, and carry spare tires, tools, and so on. Broken windshields, punctured radiators, and flat tires along the drive are common

https://www.arcticroadrally.com/route

The scenery is incredibly beautiful and wild (notice the haul truck on the icy road). It is quite a dangerous place for the average person to drive the Dalton during the winter, and difficult during the summer unless you prepare the vehicle and yourself for road emergencies.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dalton...te_description

Last edited by RayinAK; 01-23-2024 at 04:16 PM..

Old 01-23-2024, 03:40 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times
Quote:
Just don't relay on those maps (too many miles in between), and some may be found in some campgrounds during the summer only. There should be some chargers in Anchorage and Juneau, and a couple or more of stations in Fairbanks. There is another station at a resort located from 40 to 55 miles from Fairbanks.

Most apartment dwellers in Fairbanks, park outdoors, but some home owners do the same (I do). Opening the garage doors at "30 or 40 below" makes the boiler burn a lot of fuel The cost of living in Alaska is quite high, so apartments with a garage are more expensive. The landlords provide 115-VAC outlets at the parking lots, and the electric power use is added to the rent.

Last edited by RayinAK; 01-23-2024 at 04:17 PM..

Old 01-23-2024, 04:26 PM

12,379 posts, read 9,473,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
That's the Arctic Road Rally. The local power companies placed generators and charging stations along the way to allow for charging. The rally was a show about something that could normally happen if there were charging stations along the way from Fairbanks to Oliktok Point. During the summer Europeans driving motorhomes and motorcycles drive The Dalton Highway from Fairbanks to Prudhoe Bay. But driving EV's on that road may take a very long time to become a reality. The dalton Highway is not paved all the way, and routed over grounds that have permafrost. The adventurous types drive the Dalton Highway during the summer, and carry spare tires, tools, and so on. Broken windshields, punctured radiators, and flat tires along the drive are common

https://www.arcticroadrally.com/route

The scenery is incredibly beautiful and wild (notice the haul truck on the icy road). It is quite a dangerous place for the average person to drive the Dalton during the winter, and difficult during the summer unless you prepare the vehicle and yourself for road emergencies.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dalton...te_description
Thanks for the info about the Arctic Road Rally - that looks really cool. I don't think the TFL crew participated in that though. I understood it was just them in the Lighting and they had a second ICE/hybrid pickup that could bail them out if things really got bad. There are probably half a dozen videos they made covering this trip from the real time point of view, but this is an overall description video. It was done in mid-late summer - in July I believe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQ2tWvTC6s8

Last edited by OutdoorLover; 01-23-2024 at 04:50 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Electric Vehicles