Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Electric Vehicles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2023, 10:12 AM

2,098 posts, read 1,025,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Not sure I follow.
Clearly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2023, 10:32 AM

19,076 posts, read 14,017,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickIlhenney View Post
Hypocrite? Really...

I was refuting your assertion that EVs "weigh less" than comparable ICEs. Furthermore, if you think the vastly increased torque of an EV combined with 30% more vehicle weight is going to have a negligible effect on the wear of your tires, then you might want to take a remedial course in high school physics.
My current set of tires, on a Tesla Model 3 PERFORMANCE, have lasted 42,000 miles. Two weeks ago I considered jumping on a deal for a new set. My mechanic told me to wait another few months at least.

Like much else about EVs, the expected media outlets grossly exaggerate the "tire problem" as well.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 12-29-2023, 10:39 AM

1,878 posts, read 2,246,413 times
I think it's well exaggerated outside of any suspension misalignment or constant spirited driving habits. I got 60K miles on a set of 255/45/19 Goodyear Eagle RS-A2s on our Model S; I replaced them with the same model tires since they've served me so well. Oh and I never rotated them.

I also got 60K miles on a set of 225/45/17 Michelin SuperSports on my old VW Golf TDI, and 40K miles on a set of Bridgestone K02s on our big ole' Silverado HD Duramax. As you can tell I like torque, but I'm generally easy on the throttle and brakes.

Old 12-29-2023, 10:55 AM

1,500 posts, read 805,164 times
Quote:
According to every source I have looked at, EVs weigh an average of 30% more than their ICE couterpart:
are far heavier than traditional gas-powered cars due to their large battery packs.
I just looked up on the Internet, and the weight of a Toyota RAV4 is within 100 pounds of the weight of a Tesla model Y.

Old 12-29-2023, 11:53 AM

85 posts, read 41,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Not sure I follow.
You're suggesting that in general, authoritarians are preferable to hypocrites. Joe Stalin over...

Old 12-29-2023, 01:31 PM

21,910 posts, read 25,236,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwong7 View Post
I think it's well exaggerated outside of any suspension misalignment or constant spirited driving habits. I got 60K miles on a set of 255/45/19 Goodyear Eagle RS-A2s on our Model S; I replaced them with the same model tires since they've served me so well. Oh and I never rotated them.

I also got 60K miles on a set of 225/45/17 Michelin SuperSports on my old VW Golf TDI, and 40K miles on a set of Bridgestone K02s on our big ole' Silverado HD Duramax. As you can tell I like torque, but I'm generally easy on the throttle and brakes.
Yeah, EVs are heavier so maybe 10-20% faster tire wear. It's mostly driving style and tire. I'm about half worn on the tires on the S2000 even though I've only got 3,000 miles on them. Two track days though so...

Polestar 2 has silly tires, they're Continental's competitor to the Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires. Most people seem to get around 25-30k on them as most people drive things like a Polestar 2 pretty sedately. It's a daily that you can have fun with occasionally rather than a fun car you can daily. I don't really see doing another set of similar tires, either it will be an aggressive all-season or if I do two sets of wheels a more normal summer tire like the Pilot Sport 4/4S or Super Sports, not something silly like Cup 2s.

Old 12-29-2023, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Yeah, EVs are heavier so maybe 10-20% faster tire wear.
I just looked up on the Internet, and the weight of a Toyota RAV4 is within 100 pounds of the weight of a Tesla model Y.

Old 12-29-2023, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Yeah, EVs are heavier so maybe 10-20% faster tire wear.

Old 12-29-2023, 02:28 PM

421 posts, read 121,878 times
Quote:
Hypocrite? Really...

I was refuting your assertion that EVs "weigh less" than comparable ICEs. Furthermore, if you think the vastly increased torque of an EV combined with 30% more vehicle weight is going to have a negligible effect on the wear of your tires, then you might want to take a remedial course in high school physics.

Hypocrite because you don't care about the MILLIONs of heavier ICE cars wearing out their tires and ONLY complain about EVs.

Let's start with the most popular EV in the US, the Tesla model 3 at 3800lbs. Then lets compare it to it's ICE competition, the BMW 3 series, which weighs in at 3900lbs. Of course the Model 3 is about 400 lbs heavier than the new Camry, but I fail to see how that's "30% heavier" as you assert.

And again you are not complaining about the immensely popular CRV or RAV 4 which weigh in at right around 3800lbs, as well. Not to mention al the larger ICE crossovers and SUVs on the road. And pickups which are THE most popular segment.

The point? You have decided on a thing to complain about with the average EV that you WON'T complain about with the average modern ICE vehicle. That makes you a hypocrite.

Old 12-29-2023, 02:54 PM

11,684 posts, read 6,104,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwong7 View Post
The simple answer is yes, it is still the early days of EVs.

1) Technology is everchanging, adoption is continuing to grow in the US (but at a snail's pace compared to China and Europe)

2) Just about every manufacturer is having bugs and quirks, studies are finding limitations and design flaws (studies would be finding a lot less if we weren't in the early days.

3) Parts such as motors, inverters, controllers, battery packs, etc aren't readily available off the shelf.

4) Recycling and refurbishment has yet to be sufficiently established.

5) Battery technology quickly moving away from lithium.

6) Charging plug/receptacles have yet to be standardized.

7) Fire suppression systems and practices are well behind.

I'm of the belief that EVs won't replace every ICE, but as a user of Worx 20V Shareplug suite of power and lawn tools, the owner of a Fiat 500e, Tesla Model S, a 24 year old VW Golf TDI, and a big ole' Chevy Silverado HD Duramax, I can say that an EV can be a workhorse to most garages. Since getting our Fiat, we drive the turbodiesels a combined 26K fewer miles each year.
A refreshingly wise post rarely seen on the EV threads.

Kudos to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Electric Vehicles