Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 07:52 AM

4,507 posts, read 9,068,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Yes we all had a great night and we all witnessed history that many of us put in many hours to help make. I have spent the last month knocking on hundreds of doors and making Lord knows how many calls (which is why I have not been on here much lately).
I would like like to ask all of us to do what President Obama would have us do and that is to take victory with humility. It is time to put away the signs, take off the stickers and not "rub it in" on the other side. Remember that President Obama says we are all Americans and we all have to get along to the best extent we can.
I know it is tempting to say the other side did and I agree. In fact I still see "W" stickers on cars. But I think President Obama would say that he wants his supporters to rise above that petty crap. And we should do as he wants.
So let me get this straight, you and others post vile crap for months and now you just want us all to get along? This is like the bully who offers a hand after he has knocked you to the ground. No thanks, I don't need to get along with the likes of extremists on either side.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2008, 08:00 AM

3,337 posts, read 5,123,361 times
I'll be civil. I will judge Obama over the next few years on the decisions he makes as he leads this country. He has my full support on January 20th, 2009 and I pray to God he still has it in 2013. I know that since I am a Republican that his decisions will most likely be different than mine, but I am open to see the real "actual" effect they have on my family and I.

To my fellow Republicans I say this: we are better than those people who were so virulently anti-Bush over the years it blinded them from reason and logic and weren't afraid to say nasty things about our President and even about our country in general. We need to show that we are above this. It will be hard to do at times, but, we are strong. We are going to disagree with the new administration, but I think we need to go into it with an open and clear mind. Most Democrats weren't so radical, its just that the ones that are got too much publicity from the media. Democrats are our neighbors, coworkers, and even friends. But most of all, they are fellow Americans and this Republican will fight for them against the enemies of this country just as I would fight for fellow Republicans. Judge Obama by his actions as President, not on what he wants to do now. Doing this will only strengthen our points as we argue them.

It's a shame that we civilians let politics and politicians divide us. I guarantee you that politicians from both sides of the aisle have let us down and have gone against what we believe in so why let these so-called leaders divide us citizens? I have always argued with many of the Democrats (mostly young ones) that you can dislike Bush, but at least honor the POSITION he has as the President. Seeing protests with pictures of Bush decapitated is disgusting, classless, and detrimental to their own argument. I hope we don't see these things during Obama's administration and I hope that when we disagree with Obama, we still hold ourselves to a higher standard and keep our protests civil, respectful, and loud.

Old 11-06-2008, 08:00 AM

4,104 posts, read 5,314,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Sorry, KevK. I cannot join this train wreck. I will have to live through it, but this man's policies are not acceptable and they never will be. Keep drinking your Kool Aid and it will destroy you.

Critical thinkers vs. Kool-Aid drinkers?
Nice link, nice article with valid points.

Old 11-06-2008, 08:04 AM

61,286 posts, read 87,483,906 times
i took em off the night he won, not bek of humility bek of fear of backlash. lots of hostility being expressed. got it a few times on the freeway during the election threatening behavior on the freeway. the streets have gotten mean, john wayne has become a blackwater thug. no longer a shining hero with a strong arm, just strong arm.

Old 11-06-2008, 08:16 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,071,495 times
Obama won, McCain lost and that is the way of elections and both are good men and good citizens.

However on the supporters level:

BOTS WON BIG
wing nuts got a BIG can of WHOOP A** put on them.
I remember that phrasing well from the primary campaign whenever Obama lost a primary big.
Well the final can of Whoop A** was saved by the BOT'S for the Wing Nut faction of the Republican Party.

Old 11-06-2008, 11:39 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,756,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
You sound very civil to me. Our children have had it rough too; but it was rough for us at that age also. We worked hard and it turned out good. We didn't go whinning for other people to bail us out and my children are not doing that either. We all voted for McCain this time. Something I learned long ago is to seek ye first the Kingdom of God, then all these other things shall be added unto you. That does not mean that you will not have difficult times, but God will take care of you. I would never look to someone who thinks babies should be murdered on a daily basis for my security. That will bring a curse on our land, not prosperity.
Don't assume that just because we didn't have it rough, that the last 8 years have been a picnic. Our family has done well financially and vocationally through the Clinton & Bush years. It's not always the financial bottom line that makes us happy. During the Bush years, watching President Cheney and VP Rumsfeld and their little W toy doll make a mockery of our democracy and standing in the world made us ill. Oh, and getting those goody goody allowance checks from uncle W ... woo hoooo And then telling us "go spend 'em" "help the economy" ... bulldoo ... we banked it or put it in our kid's college accounts.

It's nice that you don't mind seeing your children suffer. That's your perogative. I don't want to see mine suffer "just because we did".

But that's just me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections