Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2008, 08:25 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,756,161 times

Advertisements

This got me to thinking- is this possible? Well, I did a little adding and yes, it is possible but not likely. When the cheap plastic pipe between my meter and the house burst under the driveway, I hired a plumber (after calling many) to dig it up and replace it.
He arrived at 7AM and used a backhoe to dig up the yard and used a boring machine to pull the new pipe under the driveway into the house. He was done by 3 PM and the water was back on.
He charged me $1100 for the job and I figure at this rate, he could do one such job each day. If he worked 250 days a year doing the same thing, he would make more than $250K a year gross. I guess it is possible but whether it is ever really done, I don't know. You'd have to get lots of business to pull it off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2008, 08:30 PM

2,742 posts, read 7,492,428 times
trust, is possible

Old 10-16-2008, 08:31 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,522,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
First get off the MSNBC.....It's worse than crack.
You ever been in contracting businesses related to construction?
It's a $100k/year business.
How did they plant "Joe" and make Obama answer his question? First the left calls republicans dumb then give them credit for complicated conspiracy theories.
Why? Are you watching Faux now?
no
but but but but Joe said that he would be making $250K, did Joe ask the question because that was a tipping point Obama has been talking about?
Joe is a big guy, hard to miss, he pushes in, gets to ask his question. Cameras are always there. For someone with a little imagination and the boldness to give it a try he could easily be a plant.

Old 10-16-2008, 08:34 PM

52,706 posts, read 34,534,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
He isn't actually a plumber. That was just a little ol' lie. .
link please.

Quote:
Oh, and his name isn't Joe, either. That was a little ol' lie too.
you're shrieking because samuel joseph wurzelbacher chooses to go by his middle name? how dare he!

Quote:
Whoops.
whoops, indeed.

Old 10-16-2008, 08:37 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,454,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Why? Are you watching Faux now?
no
but but but but Joe said that he would be making $250K, did Joe ask the question because that was a tipping point Obama has been talking about?
Joe is a big guy, hard to miss, he pushes in, gets to ask his question. Cameras are always there. For someone with a little imagination and the boldness to give it a try he could easily be a plant.
The answer you gave on #2 says why you have no say in the matter. Many many contractors work under someone without any education or license. It's why it's called a trade. Of course education is better but do you know how many homes in America were built by people witho0ut a formal one? My grandfather built custom houses his whole life. He also taught masonry at the local community college.....without a degree. Why because he was a professional who built homes on our local golf course. Same one on the PGA tour.

So it's a little different than other sectors.

Last edited by BigJon3475; 10-16-2008 at 09:19 PM..

Old 10-16-2008, 08:37 PM

4,468 posts, read 8,001,150 times
Default I vote for "JOE THE PLUMBER"...

Wake up America...Why in God's green earth go for the "OBAMA" lies etc.
He has never produced a birth certificate, He lies about his past,
his small record of votes shows he wants to raise taxes from those that have and give to the have notes...

Listen to Patriot radio on 144 Sirius radio...that support what they saw with FACTS...

Go out and tell folks that the big "O" is not the way to "GO".

Please do your research...it is vital to the "UNITED STATES OF AMERICA".
AND WHAT WE STAND FOR.

Check you coins lately...soon no more "In God We Trust" on them.

Oh, and IF IF IF THE big "O" did get elected would he swear in on the Koran??

God help us...

HW "Live free or Die"..."Live Free or Die" is the official motto of the U.S. state of New Hampshire, adopted by the state in 1945. It is possibly the best-known of all state mottos, partly because it speaks to an aggressive independence inherent in American political philosophy and partly because of its contrast to the milder sentiments usually found in such mottos.

The phrase comes from a toast written by General John Stark on July 31, 1809. Poor health forced Stark, New Hampshire's most famous soldier of the American Revolutionary War, to decline an invitation to an anniversary reunion of the Battle of Bennington and to send his toast by letter:

Old 10-16-2008, 08:50 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,454,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
This got me to thinking- is this possible? Well, I did a little adding and yes, it is possible but not likely. When the cheap plastic pipe between my meter and the house burst under the driveway, I hired a plumber (after calling many) to dig it up and replace it.
He arrived at 7AM and used a backhoe to dig up the yard and used a boring machine to pull the new pipe under the driveway into the house. He was done by 3 PM and the water was back on.
He charged me $1100 for the job and I figure at this rate, he could do one such job each day. If he worked 250 days a year doing the same thing, he would make more than $250K a year gross. I guess it is possible but whether it is ever really done, I don't know. You'd have to get lots of business to pull it off.
$100/hr for 2080 hours would be a regular job. It's the subcontracting where he makes his money or employees. It's possible with about 4 employees after all salaries and benefits are paid. It would be "easier" with 6 employees

Old 10-16-2008, 09:06 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,756,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Wold View Post

Wake up America...Why in God's green earth go for the "OBAMA" lies etc.
He has never produced a birth certificate, He lies about his past,
his small record of votes shows he wants to raise taxes from those that have and give to the have notes...

Listen to Patriot radio on 144 Sirius radio...that support what they saw with FACTS...

Go out and tell folks that the big "O" is not the way to "GO".

Please do your research...it is vital to the "UNITED STATES OF AMERICA".
AND WHAT WE STAND FOR.

Check you coins lately...soon no more "In God We Trust" on them.

Oh, and IF IF IF THE big "O" did get elected would he swear in on the Koran??

God help us...

HW "Live free or Die"..."Live Free or Die" is the official motto of the U.S. state of New Hampshire, adopted by the state in 1945. It is possibly the best-known of all state mottos, partly because it speaks to an aggressive independence inherent in American political philosophy and partly because of its contrast to the milder sentiments usually found in such mottos.

The phrase comes from a toast written by General John Stark on July 31, 1809. Poor health forced Stark, New Hampshire's most famous soldier of the American Revolutionary War, to decline an invitation to an anniversary reunion of the Battle of Bennington and to send his toast by letter:

Oh please!! Sirius Patriot?? Like we don't have enough neo nazi stuff on AM radio? Beck, Boortz, Limball, Hannity, Boortz, Savage, Gallahger....??? Listen to Sirius Left and learn things from intelligent folks like Bill Press!

Old 10-16-2008, 09:15 PM

1,958 posts, read 2,494,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packersnut21 View Post
Would anyone go to a doctor who is not licensed? Bravo to the Republicans who thinks it's okay for a guy to lie. He isn't trying to buy a business, his boss company isn't making that much money. On top of that it's okay he owes the government $1200. Do some of you read what you post? If this were a Democrat you would have 5-7 topics on how big of scumbags democrats are. Just shows that Republicans will give up their "values" if supports what they want.

Doctors and blood sucking lawyers both "practice". Plumbers actually work at their trade no practicing involved once they know what they're doing.

Old 10-16-2008, 09:17 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,926,868 times
I don't know if someone on these 61 pages of comments already wrote this, but "Joe" makes about $40K a year. Sure, it is entirely possible for a licensed plumber who has his own clients and referrals to make over 6 figures, but $250,000 would be pushing it. In fact, Joe's boss doesn't even make close to that! Joe is not a plumber, licensed or otherwise. If I got a job working for a doctor, it doesn't mean I am one. He's not even trained as a plumber, so the licensing argument earlier in this thread is invalid. According to the National Post:

When the president of the Plumbing, Heating, Cooling Contractors National Association in Washington issued a press release applauding Joe the Plumber for helping small business owners play a role in the debate on the nation's economic future, the business manager of the Toledo local of the United Association of Plumbers, Steamfitters & Service Mechanics issued a statement complaining Joe the Plumber hadn't even undergone apprenticeship training. "When you have guys going out there with no training whatsoever, it's a little disreputable to start with," union boss Tom Joseph told the Toledo Blade.

http://www.nationalpost.com/news/story.html?id=885575 (broken link)

Why are people blaming the Left for attacking this man? He's the one who wanted to be in the spotlight. Now we find out he works for a small plumbing company and would actually benefit much more from Obama's tax plan than John McCain's. He also has a lien on his home because he owes $1,200 in back taxes.

What does this mean? Should Obama make up someone too? This proves that any jerk can have his 15 minutes of fame, something Andy Warhol said a long time ago. I can't believe I spent so much time posting about this man, but it angers me to see how people will believe anything they hear.

Last edited by justNancy; 10-16-2008 at 09:28 PM.. Reason: added link
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections