Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 11:44 AM

2,741 posts, read 8,889,112 times

Advertisements

So....you'd rather have this?

ABC News: Obama's Pastor: God Damn America, U.S. to Blame for 9/11
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2008, 11:50 AM

5,032 posts, read 12,616,442 times
Palin represents a different kind of Christianity rejected by the Church. It is like a type of Islam that focuses on primitive beliefs that encourage killing sinners. Very dangerous & Palin will have real difficulty explaining her faith to the American people.

Old 09-08-2008, 11:52 AM

9,059 posts, read 12,978,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudinAk View Post
Obama said GD America?

Oh, I see...

Last I heard, it was Palin talking to the psychopathic snake charmers.

Old 09-08-2008, 11:58 AM

5,152 posts, read 8,533,106 times
The way this church issue has been handled by the press is solid proof that the media is not liberal and anyone who really thinks that is a fool. This is not getting any real attention on ABC, CNN, Fox, etc, where the Reverend Wright thing was page 1 news for almost a month!
Let's not forget about the husband's friends saying how he hates the American government and wants to see it damned (leader of the Alaskan Independence Party), but of course, almost no one knows about it thanks to the irresponsible media.

Joe Vogler - Wikipedia, the free encyclopediaJoe Vogler (1913-1993) was the founder of the Alaskan Independence Party and active in politics, regularly running for public office in Alaska for many ...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Vogler - 32k - Cached - Similar pages
Joe Vogler, Alaskan Independence

Old 09-08-2008, 12:35 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,646,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahSal View Post
Those are statements many of us can fully agree on! But then, I also agree with 'camping's'
comments below - (although I do plan to vote).. The vital and overriding question to be answered really should be - can these candidates separate their politics and policies from their religious beliefs?? Or - will their religious views become part of their policies once they're safely enconsed in the oval office?

[quote from camping] - I am not voting for obama or mccain. No partisan politics here.
But whether it is wright and his hatred or this church and its...weirdness, I don't know. It makes me wonder if people are capable of seperating their relgious (and in obamas case cultural/racist pastors beliefs) from their oath of office. If palins church is one that talks of the rapture, then this is a very legitimate question to bring up --- will she feel compelled to hurry the rapture along if she has opportunity to do so? This is a much more legitimate question then any of the 'she has a baby!!' crap that some have been agonizing over."
I just wanted to add that I do intend on voting...either writing in Ron Paul or possibly Bob Barr. This is an important election and a dicey time in our country....we all should vote

Old 09-08-2008, 12:57 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,608,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWS View Post
This is scary stuff. Talk of raising the dead.
Palin herself saying the Iraq war is a "task from God"
She's a religious nut.

YouTube - Palin's Demon Haunted Churches
She believes in faith healing and also "end of times", which is I believe a reference to deplete all our resources, as we're all going to die soon anyway[their belief].......also, speaking in tongues........

Very truly extremist.

Old 09-08-2008, 01:49 PM

3,353 posts, read 4,970,042 times
WOW. That video actually brought back some memories of me sitting in a church like that realizing I could never, ever, be this way nor did I want to be.

I'm interested in people's religions (or in the case of pentecostals - who don't like the word "religion" - "relationship with God"). What's in this video is strange to me and I have a lot of theories about it but I don't want to bash it. I just think it is really vital that our national leaders be able to lead those who do not believe the same things. I don't think she can do it, if she is fully embedded in this lifestyle. It's almost not allowed, other than trying to get the entire U.S. population "saved" (which she may see as her mission, actually).

Another problem I have with pentecostals as politicians is that as a pentecostal you are discouraged from "speaking the negative" - meaning - if you acknowledge that something is going wrong, then you are basically rejecting God. One example is that one day I was sitting in church and this guy was saying that he twisted his ankle, and his inlaws asked if his ankle was OK and were sorry it hurt, and he said they spoke the negative over his ankle. That he was supposed to say "my ankle is healed." Not acknowledge the injury.

Now imagine if we've got a national leader who refuses to tell us when something is amiss? NO! We cannot have that. This is reason alone to reject the McCain/Palin ticket, IMO. BTW, her negative speech at RNC would be perceived as fine because clearly (sarcasm) the people of whom she spoke are not "saved."

Old 09-08-2008, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
Palin represents a different kind of Christianity rejected by the Church. It is like a type of Islam that focuses on primitive beliefs that encourage killing sinners. Very dangerous & Palin will have real difficulty explaining her faith to the American people.

For certain...No one can defend her beliefs on my post about Pastor Tim McGraw....

She is an extremist and very dangerous. Apparently her religion is intolerant of ANYONE who disagrees.

Old 09-08-2008, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
What's equally disturbing about many evangelicals is that their clergy are not ordained\ have never been to a seminary\ are merely a layman like anyone else but acting like they know what is Christianity. Also these churches have no oversight\ no bishop or authority to keep the ministers in line. These Republican churches are very dangerous in their primitive teachings like "creationism"\ anti-gay\ anti-education.

And like the Republican party, evangelicals don't know what they are talking about

anti-education works well for them. The cornerstone of critical thinking is knowledge. No wonder they proliferate in areas where the % of illiteracy is higher than the national average.

Old 09-08-2008, 02:03 PM

3,353 posts, read 4,970,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
For certain...No one can defend her beliefs on my post about Pastor Tim McGraw....

She is an extremist and very dangerous. Apparently her religion is intolerant of ANYONE who disagrees.
I think that's true. Admittedly one of the great loves of my life is from an AOG church (er...that's how I ended up there...) but I absolutely would not vote for him. And this guy is MUCH nicer than Palin!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections