Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2008, 07:21 PM

808 posts, read 1,149,722 times

Advertisements

Warning: This video was obviously put up by someone who doesn't like Palin.

Okay, this is something entirely new to me and I'm still trying to figure out what the real deal is with it. I know both sides toss out spin so I just want to hear what both sides have to say about it...if they have even seen it before.

I have been to many churches in my time, but never have seen anything so bizarre as what I saw in this video. I'm hoping the people here have links to some impartial information so I can sort it out.

Here's the video (the person that posted it embedded the title, I didn't name it):

YouTube - The ultimate reason why you shouldn't vote for Palin.

Thanks in advance for any info on this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2008, 07:36 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,393,584 times
This is Pentacostalism. Seems to be a progressive church. (The U.P.C.) United Pentacostal Church also frowns on women cutting their hair (ever), wearing pants, make-up and jewelry are a nono as well. T.V. is not allowed in the house, no cards, no music that doesn't glorify The Lord, no dancing, no mixed swimming (girl/boy). The man is the head of the house. He should be clean shaven. A "modest and happy demeaner" is expected of women. They speak in tongues, run the aisles, roll on the floor. I'm not downgrading the denomination, these are things I have been a part of. The Pentacostal churches that run under fundamentalist pastors, are restrictive. Generational curses are part of their beliefs as well. In a couple of states they still handle serpents and drink poisen. Just a little info.

NOT all Pentacostal churches are U.P.C. some are progressive and allow for modern dress and conveniences.

Old 10-11-2008, 07:49 PM

That cell phone thing and the "Wave" stuff and witchcraft talk seems absolutely bonkers to me.

Thanks for your post, by the way. I hope other people will also respond.

Old 10-11-2008, 07:49 PM

1,989 posts, read 4,468,452 times
First off, I'm not a fan of Palin either.

That said, PLEASE don't let this video be a deciding factor in your vote. The only parts Palin should be held accountable for are the parts she actually appears in. On a lesser level, you can count footage from her actual church.

The rest of the stuff, with people writhing on the ground or saying wacky religious right stuff? Can't be tied to Palin. Most of it isn't even her church. And the editing and production quality of this video are deliberately confusing and alarmist.

As an example, I grew up as a once-a-week Catholic. By eighth grade, I was already questioning the whole thing. Mine was a very typical midwestern Catholic church. However, we did have a visiting priest from Africa who SCREAMED at us about HELL for 45 minutes one Sunday. And, some of the church members were "born again," so they had their own meetings where they'd speak in tongues, weep and all that. Did that have anything to do with me and my beliefs? Hell no.

If you want to know about Palin and her religious beliefs, you'll have to go look them up. A few things I know (anyone please contradict if I'm wrong). She's a creationist and wouldn't mind if creationism was taught in the schools, although she didn't push for it as governor.

These are direct quotes from Palin herself:

"I can do my job there in developing our natural resources and doing things like getting the roads paved and making sure our troopers have their cop cars and their uniforms and their guns, and making sure our public schools are funded," she said in June to ministry students at her former church. "But really, all of that stuff doesn't do any good if the people of Alaska's heart isn't right with God."

"Pray our military men and women who are striving to do what is right also for this country — that our national leaders are sending them out on a task that is from God," Palin said. "That's what we have to make sure that we're praying for, that there is a plan and that plan is God's plan."

The only religious thing I've found on Palin that I find truly disturbing is this excerpt from Salon:

[Another valley activist, Philip Munger, says that Palin also helped push the evangelical drive to take over the Mat-Su Borough school board. “She wanted to get people who believed in creationism on the board,” said Munger, a music composer and teacher. “I bumped into her once after my band played at a graduation ceremony at the Assembly of God. I said, ‘Sarah, how can you believe in creationism — your father’s a science teacher.’ And she said, ‘We don’t have to agree on everything.’

“I pushed her on the earth’s creation, whether it was really less than 7,000 years old and whether dinosaurs and humans walked the earth at the same time. And she said yes, she’d seen images somewhere of dinosaur fossils with human footprints in them.”

Munger also asked Palin if she truly believed in the End of Days, the doomsday scenario when the Messiah will return. “She looked in my eyes and said, ‘Yes, I think I will see Jesus come back to earth in my lifetime.’”]

If you think the end of days is coming, why would Global Warming, war in the Middle East, or running out of money and oil matter-- after all, it's all part of God's plan. That's the only part that disturbs me. If she really believes the end of the world is coming, she won't try to stop it.

Old 10-11-2008, 08:01 PM

cohdane, thanks for your response. I've already decided that I'll be voting for Obama. My reasons are that I am a single mother and pretty low income. I'm going to school to try to improve my situation but I do sometimes have to rely on social programs from time to time. My family's interests and needs are best represented by Obama. I don't hate the other side and am actually fairly conservative in my own personal views. I don't base my political choices on my personal views, though. I always base them on what I honestly believe is the best for the country. Families are hurting right now and more than ever are going to need help. I don't think McCain understands or cares enough about people like me because he's never been where I am. Obama is the son of a single mom...so he can really relate to and understand what is important to my family.

I posted this because it was something completely new to me and I wanted to find out what other members here know. Obviously there was some spin on the video...it was politically motivated and both sides do their share of spinning. I'm a smart cookie..and even if I am not going to vote for McCain and Palin I'm not going to be knowingly unfair. That's not my style.

Old 10-11-2008, 08:04 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,781,119 times
For some reason the video kept crashing on me. My connection isn't the best right now though.

I used to live in that area. There is a significant Pentacostal presence in that part of Alaska. I used to know a lot of people involved in that religion, though I didn't know them well. I do know that there was some bad blood between the community and one of the Pentacostal churches because of their practice of "shunning" people. If someone did or said something that the church authorities didn't like, they would be kicked out of the church and the members would be told to have nothing to do with them, to not even speak to them in the store. That's cult-like and indicates that a church member might be vulnerable to taking direction from church authorities in other matters as well.

Old 10-11-2008, 08:05 PM

1,881 posts, read 2,687,006 times
How many times are you going to post that same link?

Maybe the mods can do us all a favor and dump some of them.

I am reporting this poster for the constant hijacking of threads and posting the same link over and over again and I suggest everyone else do the same.

Old 10-11-2008, 08:09 PM

12,373 posts, read 13,205,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smd1998 View Post
How many times are you going to post that same link?

Maybe the mods can do us all a favor and dump some of them.

I am reporting this poster for the constant hijacking of threads and posting the same link over and over again and I suggest everyone else do the same.
Can you point out where else it's been posted, I haven't seen it anywhere else.

Old 10-11-2008, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
For some reason the video kept crashing on me. My connection isn't the best right now though.

I used to live in that area. There is a significant Pentacostal presence in that part of Alaska. I used to know a lot of people involved in that religion, though I didn't know them well. I do know that there was some bad blood between the community and one of the Pentacostal churches because of their practice of "shunning" people. If someone did or said something that the church authorities didn't like, they would be kicked out of the church and the members would be told to have nothing to do with them, to not even speak to them in the store. That's cult-like and indicates that a church member might be vulnerable to taking direction from church authorities in other matters as well.
I've known some Pentacostal people as well. They were nice enough but I didn't care for the parenting style I saw much. One family homeschooled their kids and did a horrible job. Four of the kids were in their teen years and only read on a 4th-5th grade level. The girls all wore long hair and long skirts as well, so I guess they were from the more fundamentist branch (can't remember the proper initials, sorry, lol). It's not good if past members were shunned in that way. Thanks for offering information you saw while living in that area.

Old 10-11-2008, 08:11 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,781,119 times
Quote:
Nope, she's got every right to ask for information. She seems like an intelligent and fair person, and I think perhaps your call to get people to report her is what should be reported. I won't waste my time on you though; I'm quite sure you're just another 527 whose done your own fair share of thread hi-jacking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections