Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 07:57 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,956,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
He seems to do well in grocery stores.
True, true... he was almost mobbed by the applesauce.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2008, 09:20 AM

956 posts, read 1,235,304 times
There is no question that Barack Obama is running an unprecedented campaign. My hat is off to him.

Still .... how come it's not resonating in the polls? He should be ahead by double digits!!! But it's still nip and tuck between Obama and McCain and as far as I can see McCain isn't lifting a finger. I want to reach out and shake him!!! Where is all that energy he had during the primaries??? He hasn't aged but a few months since then. It has nothing to do with his age, health, or energy level. Something else is going on.

But I'm not certain how important it really is how many seats you fill at a stadium event.

What really counts is how many people show up at the voting booth.

Old 07-29-2008, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMolly View Post
But I'm not certain how important it really is how many seats you fill at a stadium event.

What really counts is how many people show up at the voting booth.
True, of course, but one leads to another. The speech will be a giant pep rally to encourage the largest voter registration drive in history. And, although all sorts of voters dign up in registration drives... the odds are more voters signed up by democrats will vote for a democrat than a republican.

Whether or not the newly registered voters actually show up to vote is the $64,000 question.

Old 07-29-2008, 09:37 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,477,016 times
Well with someone voted as the most liberal rep. in 2007 can you expect him to want anyone other than the dreamy eyed people that want him in office to show up....this is going to back fire on him and the democrats that did support HC may in spite play hard ball with him. IMO.

He is trying to make himself look like a centralist. The debates will point out the most liberal voting record no doubt. Holding it in a stadium takes away the Democratic part of DNC....I think it will infuriate most dems.

Old 07-29-2008, 09:53 AM

956 posts, read 1,235,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
True, of course, but one leads to another. The speech will be a giant pep rally to encourage the largest voter registration drive in history. And, although all sorts of voters dign up in registration drives... the odds are more voters signed up by democrats will vote for a democrat than a republican.

Whether or not the newly registered voters actually show up to vote is the $64,000 question.
Norm, I'm just not so sure it does. As I said in another thread lots of people just love events, love to hold up flags, be seen on camera, throw their arms up in the air, but they don't always stay 'til the end of the game. There just might be a good tailgate party to go to.

So, sure! It's a pep rally and everyone will get fired up in late August. But that doesn't necessarily transfer to the voting booth. I'm amazed that only half of registered voters even bother to vote. I know they're registering and this may be a very different year than most because Barrack has succeeded in firing up a number of new young voters.

But I also remember me at that age. I could be fired up about something one minute and it's gone the next if my hair didn't come out or there was a sale at Macy's (which of course there will be on Election Day).

So it's all going to be very interesting and if I didn't find it all so terribly critical this particular year more than any other in a long time, I'd just be sitting back having a heck of a good time watching it all play out.

Old 07-29-2008, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Holding it in a stadium takes away the Democratic part of DNC....I think it will infuriate most dems.
Tickets are for anyone who has put in volunteer hours for the Democratic Party. First come, first served. People sign up through their local DNC office (not a master list), and there are hundreds of these offices.

If there was such a thing as an "undesirable volunteer" there still wouldn't be a way to filter the lists. LOL, the campaign is pretty well organized this year (for a political campaign) but it's not that organized! Whaddya think they do, run a cross check against Santa's list of who's naughty and who's nice?

Old 07-29-2008, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Tickets are for anyone who has put in volunteer hours for the Democratic Party. First come, first served. People sign up through their local DNC office (not a master list), and there are hundreds of these offices.

If there was such a thing as an "undesirable volunteer" there still wouldn't be a way to filter the lists. LOL, the campaign is pretty well organized this year (for a political campaign) but it's not that organized! Whaddya think they do, run a cross check against Santa's list of who's naughty and who's nice?

I told you what I thought.

Old 07-29-2008, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
I told you what I thought.
Yes--and it was an interesting thought:

"Holding it in a stadium takes away the Democratic part of DNC....I think it will infuriate most dems."

What I'd like to know is why you think this.

Old 07-29-2008, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Yes--and it was an interesting thought:

"Holding it in a stadium takes away the Democratic part of DNC....I think it will infuriate most dems."

What I'd like to know is why you think this.

Is it still going to have DNC all over it as typical past conventions? Is it going to have the typical Democratic symbols? Or is it going to have him trying to look like he is now centered and able to understand both sides?

I don't know much about it.....it seems to me though he is trying to move away from the fact that he is the most liberal democrat around...well at least in 2007....I think he was 10th in 2006

Old 07-29-2008, 11:59 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,340,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McMolly View Post
There is no question that Barack Obama is running an unprecedented campaign. My hat is off to him.

Still .... how come it's not resonating in the polls? He should be ahead by double digits!!! But it's still nip and tuck between Obama and McCain and as far as I can see McCain isn't lifting a finger.
The answer to that question is really simple - the country is (and has been for quite some time) really polarized between the Right and the Left with a relatively small number in the middle. It's something like a 40-40 split with the 20% or so (not exact numbers) in the middle that have been deciding the elections for quite some time now. Those 40% on either side are pretty much hard core believers so all the battling that's going on is over a very small number of voters.

Now, among those, there are going to be some who quite simply will NEVER vote for ANY Black candidate - sad fact of life that there are still people like that, but there you are - it's just a fact.

Add to that the disgruntled Hillary supporters that are ticked that she didn't get the nomination they had all expected and that cuts into Obama's support some more.

Then you get those who were turned off by Rev Wright and Obama loses a few more.

Finally, you get those who MIGHT like Obama but feel (with some justification) that he's too inexperienced - and that pulls a few more away.

So, the end result if that in spite of all the excitement about Obama, McCain - who is a very weak candidate riding an unpopular platform and following in the footsteps of a very very unpopular President - is still in the race - and although Obama has been consistantly ahead for the last several months, the margin is small because the voting pool in the middle that may be swayed to either side is relatively small.

I think in the final analysis however, Obama will win. In spite of all those drawbacks mentioned above, he HAS and WILL continue to keep the lead - both in the polls and in the voting booth.

Ken

Last edited by LordBalfor; 07-29-2008 at 12:22 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections