Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 02:57 PM

8,577 posts, read 7,858,030 times

Advertisements

please give an example of a policy issue I don't understand. or are you just being a good little liberal and talking out of your butt? I hope that one day I can grow into an inspirational know it all liberal like you who got smoked on his own thread for failing to realize that nader was an arab running for president.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
Voters like you who don't understand even basic policy issues?

There's absolutely nothing wrong with Obama going to Germany as there was nothing wrong with McCain going to England and Mexico a few weeks back,.

Grow up and get over it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2008, 02:58 PM

yup, our state is pretty messed up with that. giving an illegal in state tuition? they don't deserve in country tuition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsburg View Post
Yeah that's pretty messed up. Also how they're letting illegal aliens into public universities for in-state tuition.

Old 07-24-2008, 03:00 PM

654 posts, read 1,211,417 times
Quote:
Quoting a bunch of (dead) angry individuals doesn't really address the point. Of course there will always be detractors, but the general population of European countries liked America more eight years ago than they do now. Just look at the polls. There've been a few posted on here already.

Bull.

I was stationed in Europe twice. The first time 1997-2001 I saw anti-American protests all the time. This mainly due to the situation in Kosovo. A friend of mine and his wife were actually attacked - a group of rabid protestors jumped on their car as they were waiting at a red light to make the turn to get on base. The polizei were there watching, and did nothing.

Then I was there in again from 2002-2005. Maybe the odd comment every once in a while, but no such experiences as the first time.

Bottom line is that there has been a segment of the European population that has actively hated, and will always actively hate, the US for one main reason - because hating the biggest, most powerful guy in the room is human nature and they know that speaking out against the big, bad USA is an easy and safe way of showing their rebellious side.

In the past it was the European aristocracy and ruling elite that hated the US due to the success of our democracy and liberty that threatened their societies based on elitism by birth. Since the end of World War II it has been for the reason I just mentioned above. In both cases, however, the numbers of people who hate(d) the US were relatively small.

It is a fallacy to honestly try to make the claim that the general populations of Europe loved the US before Bush, and that those same people hate us now. The reality is that most people there generally admire the US, look forward to visiting the US, and are huge fans of the culture of the US, while those relatively few I just mentioned are still the same childish people they always were.

Old 07-24-2008, 03:03 PM

1,113 posts, read 1,815,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fp1978 View Post
It is a fallacy to honestly try to make the claim that the general populations of Europe loved the US before Bush, and that those same people hate us now. The reality is that most people there generally admire the US, look forward to visiting the US, and are huge fans of the culture of the US, while those relatively few I just mentioned are still the same childish people they always were.
Did you look at the polls?

Old 07-24-2008, 04:02 PM

1,518 posts, read 2,762,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
give me coolidge.
That's why I love you.

Old 07-24-2008, 04:47 PM

I can't think of someone who I would rather have as president. mccain and obama, too much talkie talkie. no substance. I'll take silent cal for $100 alex.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekka-maki View Post
That's why I love you.

Old 07-24-2008, 04:54 PM

1,113 posts, read 1,815,812 times
Quote:
I can't think of someone who I would rather have as president. mccain and obama, too much talkie talkie. no substance. I'll take silent cal for $100 alex.
So of the nominees for 2008 who would you pick?

Old 07-24-2008, 05:09 PM

man, do they have to be of the major parties? I am most aligned with bob barr, but think that his is a LINO. I disagree with war, I disagree with big government. the mccain philosophy of continued spending and low taxes is making the value of the dollar go down the toilet. obama would raise taxes, which would affect me, but the dollar would be stronger if we could erase some debt. I have a good feeling that 3rd parties will be much more serious in 2012. if I had to chose between obama and mccain, I would choose not to vote. but if there was a gun to my head, I would vote for mccain. reason being this. I believe that mccain is a wolf in wolves clothing. I believe that obama is a wolf in sheep's clothing.. I have more respect for a man who lets me know where he stands, even if he's wrong, then a wolf in sheep's clothing.

Quote:
So of the nominees for 2008 who would you pick?

Old 07-24-2008, 06:15 PM

1,518 posts, read 2,762,738 times
Quote:
am most aligned with bob barr,
C'mon Bob Bar? Have you seen this guy's record. He's the biggest wolf in sheep's clothing. He's a token gesture because they couldn't get Paul to run under the Libertarian tix... but boy wouldn't that have been nice (but detrimental to his seat in Congress)!

Old 07-25-2008, 07:39 AM

I agree, but if I had to choose between mccain, obama, and barr, it would be barr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekka-maki View Post
C'mon Bob Bar? Have you seen this guy's record. He's the biggest wolf in sheep's clothing. He's a token gesture because they couldn't get Paul to run under the Libertarian tix... but boy wouldn't that have been nice (but detrimental to his seat in Congress)!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections