Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 02:11 PM

8,577 posts, read 7,858,030 times

Advertisements

like I said, he did a great job while he was president. I don't disagree with placing blame on his successors, or perhaps he could have made it so the programs would expire. look at the drain now. it's so bad now that we don't even require citizenship for social services. WTF?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsburg View Post
I still maintain that the blame should go to FDR's successors for not phasing his reforms out after the war.

What else could FDR have done to counter the Great Depression besides make all those government programs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2008, 02:13 PM

5,110 posts, read 7,145,078 times
Quote:
so much talk about barack obama going to europe by his rabid fans. when is the european primary? just wondering when they are casting their votes. oh, they aren't and it doesn't matter? yeah, that's what I thought. instead of being a rock star in europe, perhaps barack should be here trying to win the voters who can't stand him.
Voters like you who don't understand even basic policy issues?

There's absolutely nothing wrong with Obama going to Germany as there was nothing wrong with McCain going to England and Mexico a few weeks back,.

Grow up and get over it.

Old 07-24-2008, 02:13 PM

1,113 posts, read 1,815,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
it's so bad now that we don't even require citizenship for social services. WTF?
Yeah that's pretty messed up. Also how they're letting illegal aliens into public universities for in-state tuition.

Old 07-24-2008, 02:19 PM

1,155 posts, read 1,840,727 times
Unhappy Don't people care??

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
so much talk about barack obama going to europe by his rabid fans. when is the european primary? just wondering when they are casting their votes. oh, they aren't and it doesn't matter? yeah, that's what I thought. instead of being a rock star in europe, perhaps barack should be here trying to win the voters who can't stand him.

I couldn't agree with you more. This is a disturbing situation where a "mainstream" U.S. presidential candidate is essentially campaigning in a foreign country or countries. What's even more disturbing is that no one on this side of the Atlantic seems to care. I have never seen a candidate so seemingly smug as Obama and McCain to a lesser extent as to assume that the election is already over and that they're assuming the role of statesman before a single vote has been cast in this country. Or is it that our election process doesn't matter anymore since we have free trade, no borders, NAFTA super highway (again no borders) and more of concern with that: people here don't care. Just make sure Susie or Ben get to diving practice on time and that I can afford to put enough gas in the tank to get to work. (sigh) It makes me angry that these candidates no longer try to hide the fact that our election process doesn't matter and is only a formality. This "we are the world and should be one world" business is B.S. beyond belief. People have to wake up and see what's going on. Only then will this abuse of the election system and process and the American people being taken for granted will end.

Bar none. It's Bob Barr for president 08

Old 07-24-2008, 02:34 PM

654 posts, read 1,211,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
It is the egocentric behavior of our current administration that has made the U.S. a piriah among the nations. Nations that were once our friends now think of us as a bunch of dangerous cowboys with whom they do not choose to align themselves.
I love it when people activate their selective memory.
To claim that our "friends" didn't look at us with disgust until Bush took office is the height of dishonesty.
Hell, during the Clinton Administration the French foreign minister referred to the United States as a hyperpuissance, or hyperpower; this was not said as a friendly compliment.

The U.S. has been hated throughout the world since there was a U.S.

Sigmund Freud on America - "a mistake, a gigantic mistake."

George Bernard Shaw - "an asylum for the sane would be empty in America"

Such leading 18th and 19th century scientists such as Immanuel Kant, Charles Darwin, and Georges Louis LeClerc, among many others, subscribed to a theory known as degeneration, which claimed that there was something inherently wrong with America that caused animals to be smaller. I kid you not.

Famous and extremely influential 19th century author Francis Trollope claimed that the difference between England and the US was a "want of refinement" and that in the US "that polish which removes the coarser and rougher parts of our nature is unknown and undreamed of." (Sounds like we were being called unsophisticated, simpleton cowboys back then too)

Charles Baudelaire, a famous French poet, complained in 1873 that the world was hopelessly and unfortunately Americanized.

In 1900 the British government passed a resolution denouncing denouncing the demoralizing effects of American plays on the British stage.

German philosopher Richard Muller-Freienfels - technology is our servant, but in American it has become a despot.

Jose Enrique Rodo wrote in 1900 in Ariel - the United States is the "spirit of vulgarity".

Mexican writer Carols Fuentes - "It was France that gave us culture without strings, and a sense, furthermore, of elegance, disinterestedness, aristocracy, and links to the culture of the classics solely lacking in the vagabond, unrooted homogenizing pioneer culture of the United States."

The American Cancer and America's Conquest of Europe - two very influential books published in France in the early 20th century.

Alain de Benoist, a French intellectual, making a comparision between the USSR and the US during the Cold War - "The Eastern variety imprisons, persecutes and mortifies the body, but at least it does not destroy help. Its western counterpart ends up creating happy robots. It is an air-conditioned hell."

After World War II claims were made in Italy that the American drink Coca-Cola would turn children's hair white, because it was from America.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Claims that the United States is hated world because of Bush, and that this wasn't the case before he took office is an outright lie. The US has been hated in Europe ever since the first settlers left European nations filled with oppression, aristocracy, totalitarianism, and hopelessness to come to our shores to find, and achieve, a far better and more successful life then they could have ever dreamed. Don't try to tell me that this is some sort of new phenomenon that began sometime between 2001 and today.

If we spent our time, since the first settler set foot on this continent, trying to please our so called "friends" we would still be a collection of European colonies. Frankly, when looking at the very types of people who hate the US and its actions, I have to say that I couldn't be more pleased because we must be doing something right.

Old 07-24-2008, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fp1978 View Post
Claims that the United States is hated world because of Bush, and that this wasn't the case before he took office is an outright lie. The US has been hated in Europe ever since the first settlers left European nations filled with oppression, aristocracy, totalitarianism, and hopelessness to come to our shores to find, and achieve, a far better and more successful life then they could have ever dreamed. Don't try to tell me that this is some sort of new phenomenon that began sometime between 2001 and today.
Quoting a bunch of (dead) angry individuals doesn't really address the point. Of course there will always be detractors, but the general population of European countries liked America more eight years ago than they do now. Just look at the polls. There've been a few posted on here already.

Old 07-24-2008, 02:42 PM

654 posts, read 1,211,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
Voters like you who don't understand even basic policy issues?

There's absolutely nothing wrong with Obama going to Germany as there was nothing wrong with McCain going to England and Mexico a few weeks back,.

Grow up and get over it.

McCain didn't go to Mexico and England for a campaign trip.

Contrast that with Obama, who first said that he was going overseas on a campaign trip then said that it wasn't a campaign trip, but rather as part of a tax payer funded congressional delegation.

Then it turned back into a campaign trip when he had campaign posters put up on some of the holiest Jewish sites in Israel.

Then it turned back into not being a campaign trip when he gave his speech in Berlin, say that he was not speaking "as a presidential candidate, but as a citizen of the world" (whatever the hell that is) and proceeded to criticize the United States in front of a foreign crowd.

Then it turned back into a campaign trip when he cancelled his scheduled visit to see see wounded American servicemembers in Germany because "it would be inappropriate to make a stop to visit troops" as a part of his campaign trip.

The guy is completely full of crap.

Last edited by fp1978; 07-24-2008 at 03:02 PM..

Old 07-24-2008, 02:45 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,063,691 times
In the current climate it is very difficult for a foreign leader to embrace the policies of the United States if our president is not popular in their country. Tony Blair learned that lesson and the current leaders are finding that a photo op with Obama is a plus and from the polls? Oh well McCain has his work cut out. If elected will McCain find our allies disapointed or wanting to embrace his leadership. Each candidate has articulated reproachment with Europe as a key part of their agenda. Are they equal in how well their plan of action will be accepted by the people which influences their leaders.

Old 07-24-2008, 02:51 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,457,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
In the current climate it is very difficult for a foreign leader to embrace the policies of the United States if our president is not popular in their country. Tony Blair learned that lesson and the current leaders are finding that a photo op with Obama is a plus and from the polls? Oh well McCain has his work cut out. If elected will McCain find our allies disapointed or wanting to embrace his leadership. Each candidate has articulated reproachment with Europe as a key part of their agenda. Are they equal in how well their plan of action will be accepted by the people which influences their leaders.
maybe we should consult them before any candidate is picked!
I mean what were we thinking to not give them a say....

Old 07-24-2008, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
maybe we should consult them before any candidate is picked!
I mean what were we thinking to not give them a say....
Well it DOES matter what foreign countries think of you. Remember that whole globalization thing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections