Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 08:54 PM

1,599 posts, read 2,949,649 times

Advertisements

Apparently McCain is trying desperately to revamp people's opinion of him by flipping on his long-term stance on offshore drilling and now offering 300 million dollars for an improved car battery without congressional approval.

I already know who I'm voting for, but I'm wondering if these developments are affecting undecided voters positively or negatively. I think McCain knew the election was all but lost and now he is pulling out the stops and hitting the panic button. This, quite frankly, is freaking me out a little.

By repealing the offshore drilling ban, we have little chance of seeing any direct relief at the pump,yet we risk our coastlines and risk mercury pollution that could affect marine life and fishing industries.

As far as offering awards to individuals or companies who come up with viable alternatives, that doesn't sound like a bad idea, altogether. However, 300 million dollars for a battery in this time of economic hardship may be hard for people to digest.

What bothers me is that next to nothing has been done to reign in the oil companies and their market manipulation, but we are expected to hand over even more of our land to them now. Furthermore, McCain is overstepping his position by, out of the blue, offering this large sum of taxpayers money for a battery without going thru proper channels.

I feel very uncomfortable with these two rash proposals. I'm wondering how others, especially those who are less biased than I am are feeling about these recent developments. Is McCain acting irrationally or are these propositions sensible?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2008, 08:57 PM

9,059 posts, read 12,977,938 times
McCain lost all hope in a vote from this conservative, regardless of his VP pick. He's "insane in the brain" as the Cypress Hill song goes. I wouldn't care if Satan himself is running against him, I wouldn't vote for this loser just to spite "the other guy".

Old 06-23-2008, 08:57 PM

509 posts, read 691,834 times
I voted for John McCain in 2000.
I thought I would vote for him again, but the John McCain I would have voted for drop out of the race about 9 months ago.

Old 06-23-2008, 09:24 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,704,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by songgirl View Post
Apparently McCain is trying desperately to revamp people's opinion of him by flipping on his long-term stance on offshore drilling and now offering 300 million dollars for an improved car battery without congressional approval.

I already know who I'm voting for, but I'm wondering if these developments are affecting undecided voters positively or negatively. I think McCain knew the election was all but lost and now he is pulling out the stops and hitting the panic button. This, quite frankly, is freaking me out a little.

By repealing the offshore drilling ban, we have little chance of seeing any direct relief at the pump,yet we risk our coastlines and risk mercury pollution that could affect marine life and fishing industries.

As far as offering awards to individuals or companies who come up with viable alternatives, that doesn't sound like a bad idea, altogether. However, 300 million dollars for a battery in this time of economic hardship may be hard for people to digest.

What bothers me is that next to nothing has been done to reign in the oil companies and their market manipulation, but we are expected to hand over even more of our land to them now. Furthermore, McCain is overstepping his position by, out of the blue, offering this large sum of taxpayers money for a battery without going thru proper channels.

I feel very uncomfortable with these two rash proposals. I'm wondering how others, especially those who are less biased than I am are feeling about these recent developments. Is McCain acting irrationally or are these propositions sensible?
Im glad you just reworded Obamas speech.

Look, if thousands of European countries are doing it, than we need to look into it to. We will probably be paying a lot for gas, but I would much rather have it going back into our own economy than the middle east's economy. Plus, even if prices don't go down, we wont be dependent upon the middle east meaning we can meddle into their affairs less.

In one summary, maybe it wont change the prices, but it will be a heck of a lot better than outsourcing it to the middle east.

Old 06-23-2008, 09:52 PM

1,599 posts, read 2,949,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocexpo View Post
Im glad you just reworded Obamas speech.

Look, if thousands of European countries are doing it, than we need to look into it to. We will probably be paying a lot for gas, but I would much rather have it going back into our own economy than the middle east's economy. Plus, even if prices don't go down, we wont be dependent upon the middle east meaning we can meddle into their affairs less.

In one summary, maybe it wont change the prices, but it will be a heck of a lot better than outsourcing it to the middle east.

The Federal Minerals Management Service estimates 86 billion barrels of oil lie in undiscovered reserves off the US coast. Considering to US uses about 20 mill. barrels a day, that's about 11 years worth of oil. Is it all even accessible? Finding it and drilling it would take years.

Bill Nelson, D,Fl stated "There isn't enough oil to make even the smallest dent in world oil prices".

Old 06-23-2008, 09:57 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,971,624 times
Quote:
"There isn't enough oil to make even the smallest dent in world oil prices".
I'm more interested in prices AT HOME. BS it wouldn't make a difference.

We should be doing all of it; drilling, clean-coal, shale, biofuel (not corn), nuclear (lots), renewables.

Old 06-23-2008, 09:58 PM

3,202 posts, read 4,436,538 times
well i guess with $4 a gallon gas a lot of people are rethinking offshore drilling. europeans have been doing it in the north sea with good results for years.if we dont drill in the gulf of mexico the chinese,russians ,etc will still do it just outside of our territorial waters and there will be nothing we can do about it.mccains 'super battery inventors award' would require congressional approval so it is really no different then obamas many super expensive proposals which he can propose all he wants but cant do without congress giving him the funding.if we dont increase oil production here we will become more and more dependent on our 'friends' in the middle east,russia,nigeria,and venezuala.there is no way we are going to eliminate the need for oil in the next few decades at least and the materials needed to make batteries all need to be mined,which many dont want occuring in this country either.plastics,paints,and many other necessities also come from oil.replacing oil using 'new' food sources doesnt make much sense to me either though converting waste cooking oil to diesel on a commercial scale and improving the technology involved in converting wood waste to ethanol would eventually help reduce the need for oil somewhat.a country that cant or wont develop their own energy will always be beholden to countries that dont like them much and just electing barack obama to the whitehouse for 4-8 years isnt going to make the world our friend despite what some seem to believe.

Old 06-23-2008, 10:00 PM

358 posts, read 518,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by songgirl View Post

lets see, vote for osama obama and have the republic destroyed in 4 years or vote mccain and have the republic destroyed in 8-12 years. decisions, decisions.

Old 06-23-2008, 10:27 PM

1,389 posts, read 6,303,497 times
Or vote for Bush McCain and have the country destory in 1 day.
It will take Bush McCain 2 days to destroy the world since he is trigger happy.

Old fossil

Old 06-23-2008, 10:34 PM

3,202 posts, read 4,436,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losertarian View Post
lets see, vote for osama obama and have the republic destroyed in 4 years or vote mccain and have the republic destroyed in 8-12 years. decisions, decisions.
well its easier to walk back up a hill from halfway down it then once youve rolled to the bottom
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections